2018 NFL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: 2018 NFL

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We'd better get a crack team of legal wigs working on getting those 2 points from the Longford game.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:We'd better get a crack team of legal wigs working on getting those 2 points from the Longford game.
Rory Hanniffy and Joe Brolly
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:We'd better get a crack team of legal wigs working on getting those 2 points from the Longford game.
Rory Hanniffy and Joe Brolly
And whoever we had involved facing the executive committee after the infamous 1997 u21 match in Parnell Park v Dublin.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Nothing detailed in the Southern papers on this match. Here's how The Irish News saw it.
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootb ... y-1249007/
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I'd have been fairly positive about year ahead and management before due to mostly our start in O Byrne cup but looking at the team selection and subs, you'd have to look at management. If this is the best 15 we can put out (which it isn't) then we are in serious bother and doomed for relegation.

What has manager done about recruiting local selectors who know our county and our best players. No disrespect to effort of lads thus far but that team just won't cut it at this level. Some panelists are young and inexperienced and can develop, others in my opinion are just not up to the level. It's probably the weakest senior football panel assembled in my lifetime that I recall.

I am amazed there isn't more outrage. I have heard positives early re training etc but training hard and picking your best team in best positions are two entirely different entities.
jimbob

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Away v Derry next: could be a defining game for either side. The optimist in me would like to think it's an opportunity to turn a corner- the pessimist thinks you're always about to turn a corner if you're going around in circles. Derry are a side struggling for form and momentum: hard for them not to see anything but an opportunity against Offaly, but a battling Offaly performance will question their fragile confidence. Reading comments from both sides on different chat rooms, it seems that both teams are feeling the heat defensively, and struggling to get the ball into scoring positions. A defeat for either side will probably ensure relegation, but a chance for the winner to scramble to safety. After the blowout against Longford, at least some semblance of competitiveness against Fermanagh, but allowing the opposition to go on mini scoring sprees has to be stopped. Likewise long scoring droughts has to be stopped. Hopefully Sunday sees a battling display, and if Offaly can stop Derry building the cushion of a gap at any point, but especially in the first 20 minutes, then there's a chance to get off the mark. Derry are badly missing the Slaughtneil contingent: don't let them off the hook Sunday. Best of luck to the squad and management.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Both Derry and Offaly scored 1-6 in their last outing. 7 scores over the course of 75mins play is abysmal.
Sunday is massive and Derry are nothing to fear. Win and survival is possible, another defeat and it'll be division 4 next year.
Reports I heard from last Sunday suggest the lads are way off the mark and Fermanagh themselves are poor enough themselves.
Keeping morale up will be Wallaces biggest challenge over the next couple of months. League survival could provide a bounce yet but league is bitterly disappointing so far.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Like Jimbob I think there should be more than one Offaly-based selector. Having said that, I am doubtful that they could unearth sufficient talent to make a significant improvement to the squad. The loss of key individuals to injury, retirement and travel abroad seems to have taken the heart out of the team. With such a small pick, we can ill-afford to be without any of these players.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

is cian o'donoghue injured

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

substandard wrote:Away v Derry next: could be a defining game for either side. The optimist in me would like to think it's an opportunity to turn a corner- the pessimist thinks you're always about to turn a corner if you're going around in circles. Derry are a side struggling for form and momentum: hard for them not to see anything but an opportunity against Offaly, but a battling Offaly performance will question their fragile confidence. Reading comments from both sides on different chat rooms, it seems that both teams are feeling the heat defensively, and struggling to get the ball into scoring positions. A defeat for either side will probably ensure relegation, but a chance for the winner to scramble to safety. After the blowout against Longford, at least some semblance of competitiveness against Fermanagh, but allowing the opposition to go on mini scoring sprees has to be stopped. Likewise long scoring droughts has to be stopped. Hopefully Sunday sees a battling display, and if Offaly can stop Derry building the cushion of a gap at any point, but especially in the first 20 minutes, then there's a chance to get off the mark. Derry are badly missing the Slaughtneil contingent: don't let them off the hook Sunday. Best of luck to the squad and management.
Derry away followed by Armagh at home is a big ask. Reading posts, Offaly have problems in attack and defence. I can't see us getting much on Sunday, but I hope I am wrong. Best of luck to team and management in the Maiden City.
Any team news?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Our Senior Footballers make the trip to Celtic Park on Sunday to play Derry in the 3rd Round of the Allianz National League at 2pm.
Stephen Wallace, Billy Sheehan and Paul Mollen have named the following panel for the game

1. Barry Rohan (Shannonbridge)
2. Declan Hogan (Tullamore)
3. Paul McConway (Tullamore)
4. David Brady (Edenderry)
5. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
6. Sean Pender (Edenderry)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
8. Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh)
9. Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10. Bobby O'Dea (Durrow)
11. Michael Brazil (Tullamore)
12. Shane Nally (Ferbane)
13. Bernard Allen (Tubber)
14. Anton Sullivan (Rhode)
15. Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks)

16. Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island)
17. Shane Tierney (Daingean)
18. Joseph O'Connor (St. Rynagh's)
19. Cian Johnson (Ferbane)
20. Jordan Hayes (Edenderry)
21. Aaron Hensey (Tullamore)
22. James Lalor (Raheen)
23. Sean Doyle (Edenderry)
24. Conor Carroll (Raheen)
25. Jack Egan (Ferbane)
26. John Moloney (Tullamore)
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

LooseCannon wrote:Our Senior Footballers make the trip to Celtic Park on Sunday to play Derry in the 3rd Round of the Allianz National League at 2pm.
Stephen Wallace, Billy Sheehan and Paul Mollen have named the following panel for the game

7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
9. Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10. Bobby O'Dea (Durrow)

22. James Lalor (Raheen)
25. Jack Egan (Ferbane)
Patrick Dunican is not in the squad for Sunday.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:Our Senior Footballers make the trip to Celtic Park on Sunday to play Derry in the 3rd Round of the Allianz National League at 2pm.

7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
9. Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10. Bobby O'Dea (Durrow)

22. James Lalor (Raheen)
25. Jack Egan (Ferbane)
Patrick Dunican is not in the squad for Sunday.
I read that he gave away a sloppy goal from a short kick-out.
It’s probably rotation anyway.

From viewing Rohan at minor and at u21 last year, I was very impressed by him. One for the future no doubt.
I think that he’s just as good as the other two, if not better. If I remember correctly, he’s not the tallest. Might be a cause for concern, but from memory a good shot-stopper with good kickouts.

If it turns out that he’s better than Mulhall and Dunican, then Wallace and Co. have a dilemma,as I think that he’s still u20 this year. Is there an exception to the rule for Keepers, or is it set in stone. Senior or u20.
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Is Cian O Donoghue injured or what. Probably our best player through O Byrne cup. Rate Sean Pender very highly as a corner back but feel he is uncomfortable with reading game at centre back and was exposed big time (though not his fault) in Longford game.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

A number of league games were called off this weekend due to the weather conditions. It never seems to end does it?

Offaly's game with Derry was called off, but only at1 pm, when the Offaly team and a few hardy supporters had already arrived. Given the weather forecast why not make a decision this morning, following a pitch inspection, like other games.

Offaly manager Stephen Wallace said the only activity suitable for the pitch was a snowball competition, and that the process of calling off the match at a late hour should be examined.

Offaly players, management and supporters set off on an wasted 4-5 hour journey, and had to turn around again for the homeward trip. It is not good enough, surely Derry GAA board could have made an earlier call on the match.

Love to hear what people think.