Intermediate Football Championship 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will win the Intermediate football championship?

St Brigids
12%
Shannonbridge
47%
Ballycommon
6%
Daingean
18%
Doon
6%
Clonbullogue
No votes
Ferbane
No votes
KK
12%
Tullamore
No votes

Total votes: 17

LooseCannon
All Star

Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Post by LooseCannon »

I feel that it’s a coin toss between St Brigids and Shannonbridge.
Watch out for Ballycommon, they could pose a real threat to their respective charges.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Re: Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Brigids & Shannonbridge will be favs. Ballycommon & Ferbane are the dark horses.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Geansai Gorm wrote:Brigids & Shannonbridge will be favs. Ballycommon & Ferbane are the dark horses.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears that Johnson was the main reason why Ferbane were there, thereabouts.

When Daingean get going, they’re tough to stop. They’ve some quality footballers in the 2 Hayes brothers and Tierney.

Don’t know much of Clonbullogue: they’ve O’Brien, and I think McEvoy is the other lads name that were/are on minor and now u21 panels.

Doon:seemed to recover well, after last year under Curran, who supposedly came with hefty ‘expenses’ claims.

Tullamore:who knows???
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Ferbane = Minus - Johnson will be senior, Plus - They still have very good lads coming up.
Daingean = Plus - Tierney and 2 X Hayes Minus - They depend on them too much. always lots of 'ifs' about Daingean.
Doon = look at last year, no wins in league yet ended up in semis of championship. Jeckyl & Hyde?
Clonbullogue = Need to get the younger players to step up, a bit of rebuilding going on. Possibles.
Ballycommon = Bounce effect from winning Junior, but a step up in class.
Tullamore = As you say, who knows? Typical 2nd Town team.

They all still have to match Brigids & The Bridge.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

@Court_Hotel Inter Foot Champ Rd 1

Clonbullogue v Daingean
Ferbane v Doon
St Brigid's v Ballycommon
KK v Shannonbridge
Bye Tullamore

KK?
Interesting. Appears to be unfair on junior clubs.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I must apologise, I had to add KK to the poll, thus making the previous poll null and void
Good Luck

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

LooseCannon wrote:
Geansai Gorm wrote:Brigids & Shannonbridge will be favs. Ballycommon & Ferbane are the dark horses.

Doon:seemed to recover well, after last year under Curran, who supposedly came with hefty ‘expenses’ claims.
I would just like to correct for the record that Shane Curran absolutely did not come up with any ' hefty expenses' claim. What he was paid was agreed in full at the beginning with no variance nor no 'extras' were asked for.

What he asked for was also very reasonable.
Doon exile....

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Paid managers in the GAA???

perish the thought.....
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

True Red wrote:Paid managers in the GAA???

perish the thought.....
he was paid his expenses based on his mileage to training and a set mileage rate for games. All above board!!!!!
Doon exile....

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Clonbullogue v Daingean - I note the league result, with Daingean winning by a goal. They were certainly without Tierney. Clonbullogue have O’Brien who was minor player of the year two years ago, and is currently with the u20s. In my opinion, Daingean will have too much firepower for Clonbullogue, even if they play with a blanket defence. Tierney and the two Hayes brothers will be the difference. Daingean by 6

Ferbane v Doon - Ferbane have a good few young lads coming up every year. Seán Flynn will more than likely play with their intermediate team this year, although he may be required for their seniors if they’ve a few lads travelling. Doon recovered well last year to reach the semi final stage with ‘Cake’. Although I see that Edenderry’s team in division three beat them comprehensively, although I’m sure that they had some injuries. Ferbane by 4

St Brigid's v Ballycommon - One of the favourites versus a potential dark horse. Ballycommon have some good backs in Karl Dunne and county player David Dempsey, however St Brigids will have Cian Donohue at either centre-back or midfield, bombing foward constantly, with Brickland, I think inside. Brigids by 6

KK v Shannonbridge - It would appear to be the tie of the round, but it could very well be a damp squib. Kilcormac-Killoughey make their long awaited return to football. They possess quality footballers such as Dan Currams, Ciarán Slevin and Conor Mahon. Jordan Quinn is a former minor footballer at full back as well. Shannonbridge have a couple of u20s in their side, and also posses Ronan McEvoy from the Offaly u21 team last year, as well as Darragh Corbett. KK may have some players that comprehensively beat St Rynaghs in the u20 competition recently, only to be subsequently beat by 6 points to Clara. I predict that KK will be a little ring rusty. Shannonbridge by 6.

Bye Tullamore
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Clonbullogue 1-12 Daingean 1-17 Lee Dempsey Vs Shane Tierney show. As predicted.

Shannonbridge 4-19 K/K 2-9 One sided, K/K strggled to field a team, Bridge withdrew 5 players, hence some late scores for KK.

Ferbane 2-10 Doon 3-7 I presume not much between these. No reports.

Brigids 2-08 Ballycommon 1-09 Late goal steals it for Croghan after their great start 1-5 t0 0-2 up anter 10 mins,but ballycommon the better for the rest of the match. Ballycommon missed two easy frees when 3 points up with 5 to go. Brickland didn't play (think he is moving to US and wants to play ball there, so couldn't play C'ship here)

So KK only surprise here.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Geansai Gorm wrote:Clonbullogue 1-12 Daingean 1-17 Lee Dempsey Vs Shane Tierney show. As predicted.

Shannonbridge 4-19 K/K 2-9 One sided, K/K strggled to field a team, Bridge withdrew 5 players, hence some late scores for KK.

Ferbane 2-10 Doon 3-7 I presume not much between these. No reports.

Brigids 2-08 Ballycommon 1-09 Late goal steals it for Croghan after their great start 1-5 t0 0-2 up anter 10 mins,but ballycommon the better for the rest of the match. Ballycommon missed two easy frees when 3 points up with 5 to go. Brickland didn't play (think he is moving to US and wants to play ball there, so couldn't play C'ship here)

So KK only surprise here.
I wouldn’t say that KK were a surprise. Even with a full compliment I’d back the Bridge to beat them. From what I heard, Shannonbridge were minus a few starters, and pulled six off shortly after half time.

I heard that poor ould Doon were robbed victory by a very, very late penalty. I heard that they were losing well, and got a couple of second half goals, and were up by three.

I didn’t hear much of the other games, heard about the Croghan goal alright. I presume that the two Hayes brothers chipped in with a few scores in addition to Tierney.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Ballycommon v Ferbane - Ballycommon by 7

Shannonbridge v St Brigids - Shannonbridge by 6

Daingean v KK - Daingean by 10

Tullamore v Clonbullogue - Draw

Doon Bye
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Ballycommon V Ferbane - Ballycommon, just. Revenge/redemption is a mighty force.

Bridge v Brigids - Bridge all the way. Brigids not as good as I thought they were.

Daingean V KK - Daingean should be comfortable, K/K look disinterested.

Tullamore V Clongullogue - Depends on what players the blues have available...?? toss a coin.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Clonbullogue v Ballycommon - Ballycommon
St Brigid’s v Ferbane - St Brigid’s
Kilcormac-Killoughey v Doon - K-K
Tullamore v Shannonbridge - Shannonbridge
Daingean have a bye.
Good Luck