2018 Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: 2018 Walsh Cup

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Not fit to start ???? Are ye joking me he has been the best club hurled over the last 3 years running rings around lads at midfield....Some of ye here really haven't a clue.
I’d imagine that he wouldn’t be at the moment. But a few weeks training would get him up to speed.
He’d be a great asset undoubtedly.
Still time to get him on the panel.
ASAP
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Wasn't he club hurler of the year in 2017. And fully deserving too. He is more than good enough to be on that panel! We have been "building" for too long

Put the best team out and let them play. With a few months training he'd be on my team every day!
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

jimbob17 wrote:Wasn't he club hurler of the year in 2017. And fully deserving too. He is more than good enough to be on that panel! We have been "building" for too long

Put the best team out and let them play. With a few months training he'd be on my team every day!
2016 HOTY
Age goes out the window, we need our best as Klopp would say ‘in this moment for sure’

His point this year in the second half v Seir Kieran was one of the greatest points I’ve seen. Drove it over from 70 or 80 m out while he was falling. Class.
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

yes i back up my statement, he is not fit enough to start midfield on a county team..

i agree, a great club hurler for the rynaghs but there is a huge difference between club and county.. there are loads of lads in the county that this is applicable to.
greenairfield wrote:over the last 3 years running rings around lads at midfield....Some of ye here really haven't a clue.
i don't know what games you where at but ive never seen him run rings around now, hurled well yes but he doesn't have fitness required.. he would be up against lads like Shane Kinsella, Sean Ryan, Paddy Murphy, Conor Mahon, Ronan Hughus, David King.... Would love to see the results of a fitness test between Gazza and these lads... see who rings rings around who.. :roll: :roll:

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Going a small bit off topic here but still relates to players on the senior set up. What is happening with U21 hurling? No manager in place? Players outside of the senior squad are not training? Championship starting in 6 months or less. If you go to Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford or Cork (who’s championship start at the same time) I bet they are back training two or three months. The obvious choice would be Aidan Hanrahan or Damien Fox take up the role so there is a link between U21 and senior. I’m not sure of the overlap in the squads but I’d say it’s up near 7 or 8 anyway. Anyone know anything about this?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Kevin Martin and his Management have announced their team to play Kilkenny in the Semi Final of the Bord na Mona Walsh Cup tomorrow in Bord na Mona O'Connor Park, Tullamore at 2pm

1. Eoin Cahill (Birr)
2. Thomas Spain (Brosna Gaels)
3. Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4. Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
5. Patrick Delaney (Kinnitty)
6. Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
7. Jordan Quinn (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
8. David King (Coolderry)
9. Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
10. Oisín Kelly (Belmont)
11. Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
12. Colin Egan (Belmont)
13. Colm Gath (Drumcullen)
14. Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
15. Daniel Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good game, should have won this game, couple of dodgy decisions from the ref let Kilkenny into the game especially the goal they got came from what wasn’t a free for me. It’s early days but I liked the work rate and effort today keep her lit lads

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Last time we played the cats in the Walsh cup we won....but it was in St.Brendans park clearly that's why we lost.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Last time we played the cats in the Walsh cup we won....but it was in St.Brendans park clearly that's why we lost.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
But that was a Cats u21 team managed by Eddie Brennan.
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Kevin Martin has to be disappointed this evenin. Good first half performance, oisin kelly missed to very important frees and conversing the goal was poor but we where hurling well and still 3 points up at half time. The second half was brutal performance.. one thing that needs to be addressed is consistency in performance. Taught Cahill was excellent, Spain and Delaney where contenders for ma'am of match, gerathy and king good in midfield, mahon a big threat but make some poor decisions and kinsella was very good.. somethings makes the wrong decision but scored 3 good points..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The time before that (2010), Offaly beat Kilkinny, in Tellamore. Someone explain that.
greenairfield wrote:Last time we played the cats in the Walsh cup we won....but it was in St.Brendans park clearly that's why we lost.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:Kevin Martin has to be disappointed this evenin. Good first half performance, oisin kelly missed to very important frees and conversing the goal was poor but we where hurling well and still 3 points up at half time. The second half was brutal performance.. one thing that needs to be addressed is consistency in performance. Taught Cahill was excellent, Spain and Delaney where contenders for ma'am of match, gerathy and king good in midfield, mahon a big threat but make some poor decisions and kinsella was very good.. somethings makes the wrong decision but scored 3 good points..
The lack of an outfield freetaker impaired us. Should’ve just brought Cahill up. Might look ridiculous but a score’s a score. Kelly is at most the third choice free taker for Belmont. Damien Egan and Leon Fox ahead of him in that pecking order.

I’ll go into more detail in a while.
Good Luck

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Good to hear Cillian Kiely is back in training, this should further enhance the dogfight for positions on the team.
Also the returning Paddy Murphy, Sean Ryan and Joe Bergin will be pushing for places when all return aswell.

All roads lead to croker Saturday week.

A performance is more important than the result here, especially a second half performance.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

DoingUntold wrote:A performance is more important than the result here, especially a second half performance.
Sorry I have to disagree here. The result is what we want here. Obviously we will have to perform to win. For us this is a targeted must win game and must not fear Dublin.

Performance will be key against Galway and Limerick.. intensity, power, hooking, blocking... yes, will bring us to the next level for laois and antrim games..

2 points here is required to push on.

Hopefully we will see some of the guys mentioned in the panel in croker..

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

I would have to agree - we have to target a win against Dublin.