Leinster club championships 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Leinster club championships 2017

Post by greenairfield »

I dont know how lads write off kk, the standard in Offaly is totally different towards the team they faced sunday.

KK AND Rynaghs one step ahead of the chasing pack, Birr probably are the best of the rest.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Probably rulin them out based on fact that they have no real underage talent at minor and u21 to introduce, and the fact that the Healions who have been the leaders of their team look to be finished. Rynaghs average age about 25, means they in good position to take over, never really got going in 2017 and if they got another 2 mins would have won the co final. Others not up to much and Belmont especially will find it v hard with new format of football and hurling week in and week out not to pick up injuries.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Belmont especially will find it v hard with new format of football and hurling week in and week out not to pick up injuries.
Is St.Rynaghs not a duel club also? Or are they just concentrating on the hurling next year.. :lol: :lol:

All this talk of KK are gone is madness. They just lost a Leinster. KK will still be around next year. More than likely will loose one or two, like Peter Healion because he lives in Galway now but I think Ger might stay on. Get Brian Leonard fit, Dylan Murray back, keep Kiely on the field, maybe even Con Mahon, bring on a few younger lads who have played minor and u21 with Offaly like Cathal Mahon, Alan Spain, James Kilmartin and reduce the age gap. The minor team that was in the county final has a few exceptional talents Cathal Kiely, Stephen Leonard, Conor Quinn, Dylan Young but Mikey Ryan at center back I think is the main one to watch out for. Just also want to mention that I taught Jordan Quinn had a fine year and was unlucky for the player of the year award. Life and hurling teams need change to stay fresh and KK didn't change much since 2012, something Offaly did in the 90's. They still have time.

St Rynaghs should be favourites for next year though. they are young, yet have a lot experience, a lot of county players, very strong all over the field and play a nice brand of hurling. What happened in 2017 was the loss of Forde. He went on to bigger things and made the right decision. It's how St.Rynaghs replace him. I hear Adrian Clancy is favourite for 2018. That might not work so well.

I rank teams in the following order for Senior next year:
1 St Rynaghs
2 KK
3 Belmont
4 Clareen
5 Birr
6 Shinrone
7 Coolderry
8 Kinitty

Is it top two to a semi final.. 3rd against 6th and 4th against 5th in QF... bottom two in relegation??

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:
shannonbanks14 wrote:Belmont especially will find it v hard with new format of football and hurling week in and week out not to pick up injuries.
Is St.Rynaghs not a duel club also? Or are they just concentrating on the hurling next year.. :lol: :lol:

All this talk of KK are gone is madness. They just lost a Leinster. KK will still be around next year. More than likely will loose one or two, like Peter Healion because he lives in Galway now but I think Ger might stay on. Get Brian Leonard fit, Dylan Murray back, keep Kiely on the field, maybe even Con Mahon, bring on a few younger lads who have played minor and u21 with Offaly like Cathal Mahon, Alan Spain, James Kilmartin and reduce the age gap. The minor team that was in the county final has a few exceptional talents Cathal Kiely, Stephen Leonard, Conor Quinn, Dylan Young but Mikey Ryan at center back I think is the main one to watch out for. Just also want to mention that I taught Jordan Quinn had a fine year and was unlucky for the player of the year award. Life and hurling teams need change to stay fresh and KK didn't change much since 2012, something Offaly did in the 90's. They still have time.

St Rynaghs should be favourites for next year though. they are young, yet have a lot experience, a lot of county players, very strong all over the field and play a nice brand of hurling. What happened in 2017 was the loss of Forde. He went on to bigger things and made the right decision. It's how St.Rynaghs replace him. I hear Adrian Clancy is favourite for 2018. That might not work so well.

I rank teams in the following order for Senior next year:
1 St Rynaghs
2 KK
3 Belmont
4 Clareen
5 Birr
6 Shinrone
7 Coolderry
8 Kinitty

Is it top two to a semi final.. 3rd against 6th and 4th against 5th in QF... bottom two in relegation??
I think that’s the format alright.
Are Rynaghs doing a KK now, with regards football?

Was Mikey Ryan involved with KK’s intermediates this year?
From seeing him last year, I thought that he’d be around their senior team.

I heard rumblings about Forde going in as a coach with Rynaghs. Just rumours though.
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

It appears shannonbanks14 would have it that way anyways... :roll: :roll:

I seen him against Brosna Gaels in Moystown. He hurled center back on Thomas Spain (who is now on the county panel) and gave a good display for an 18 year old. Another year or two at that level and he will be competitive in Senior. Definitely one for the future and a position KK are lacking. There was also a young Gath lad full back on that minor team but haven't heard of him since. Another position that will need to be filled in a few years.

Yeah I think that deal was insurance for Clancy to get the job.. Don't know how it will work out. Im sure Forde's full focus will be with Galway and time for Rynaghs will be limited. Another thing is the players didn't want that management team last year. so what has changed? Was it true Ken Hogan was in for it?

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Dual club in name only. Very few train. Not taken seriously like hurlin.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think it's fair to say that there's a huge leap from saying that K-K struggled against the best club team in Ireland to saying that they're suddenly not likely to win an Offaly title for the foreseeable future. Of course they'll be disappointed to lose to Cuala, doubly so because they just never really got going at any stage in the contest. However they don't need to do too much to freshen up the panel, two or three new faces would do the job just to keep things turning over, and it's fair to say that they have plenty of lads that are capable of doing that, if they move their game up and on a notch or two.

That's not to say that they're miles ahead of the chasing pack - they're clearly not - but we also have to allow for the fact that of the sides that were close enough to the mark in 2017, Rynagh's look set to lose their best player this year (Sean Dolan) as he's going travelling, and while they don't have that many dual players and won't be impeded by the new system, Belmont have only about three or four starters that don't also play senior football, so they've been hugely hampered by the changeover. Birr clearly have a few decent guys coming up, as evidenced by their U-21 win, but the other side of the coin is that they're trying to replace some of the best hurlers Offaly have had in the last twenty years - it's one thing to replace lads that are coming to the end of their careers, it's another to do that when the lads are players like Paul Cleary and Rory Hanniffy. Coolderry are also losing guys of that calibre without having the young players coming in to replace them, and while Kinnitty/Seir Kieran/Shinrone will all be competitive, they still all have four or five points of improvement to find, and there's no obvious reason to believe that they will find it.

K-K start as favourites again next year for me, and while they're not odds on or anything like that, there's no way I'd have anyone ahead of them right now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lone Shark surprised at you putting Paul Cleary into that category, he has just turned 31 plenty of time for him to be very dominant at center back for club level in Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Lone Shark surprised at you putting Paul Cleary into that category, he has just turned 31 plenty of time for him to be very dominant at center back for club level in Offaly.
I would have guessed he had a year or two more under his belt so I'll happily stand corrected on that, but in his case it's the severe injuries that have taken a toll more than anything. It'd be great to see him carry on for another four or five years at the kind of elite level we're used to from him, but I'm not sure that the wear and tear he's sustained will allow that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:It appears shannonbanks14 would have it that way anyways... :roll: :roll:

I seen him against Brosna Gaels in Moystown. He hurled center back on Thomas Spain (who is now on the county panel) and gave a good display for an 18 year old. Another year or two at that level and he will be competitive in Senior. Definitely one for the future and a position KK are lacking. There was also a young Gath lad full back on that minor team but haven't heard of him since. Another position that will need to be filled in a few years.

Yeah I think that deal was insurance for Clancy to get the job.. Don't know how it will work out. Im sure Forde's full focus will be with Galway and time for Rynaghs will be limited. Another thing is the players didn't want that management team last year. so what has changed? Was it true Ken Hogan was in for it?
They didn’t want last year’s management. Rynaghs would be Offaly champions had they not abandoned their game plan.
I heard that Noel Larkin of Meelick-Eyrecourt is also a coach with Rynaghs, as well as Forde. I’d say that they’ll arrange Rynaghs trainings for alternative days that Galway are training on. Eg. Mon Wed Fri Rynaghs -Tues Thurs Sun Galway
I did hear that Hogan was in for it, nothing came of it obviously.
To have two all-Ireland winning coaches with them is a major coup, nonetheless. I’d say that’s why Clancy got the job.

I’d still have them favourites for Seán Robbins next year, despite the absence of Dolan, their standout player in the county final gone by.
It’s a pity, as he’d have a part to play for Offaly.
Good Luck

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Sunday went wrong for KK , nightmare start ,a ref that was very hard on them and their managment didnt react for 20 minutes ,by that time game was over .
S Byrne and his managment have to take some blame , starting G Healion on COC was madness , P Healion was hardly able to walk in the warm up ,yet he stayed on of 45 minutes against a super fit Cuala team .
The were completely out hurled in the first 25 minutes , Cuala scored 1 -08 in that time .1-02 of that came when the ref ignored frees to KK in the build up and to make matters worse he denied KK stone wall frees during that period , one that standout was T Geraghty having a free awarded against him for steps when he was been dragged back by the arm .Cuala fouled Dan Currams constantly and no frees were given .
Mattie Kenny had his homework ,KK managment failed to do their correctly .
J Quinn has his helmet pulled off and again ignored by the ref .C Mahon red card was correct and what a loss he was ,he had the beaten of the full back .
Eight points down and a man down at half time ,i feared the might get beat by 30 points but to their credit the battled and were hanging in when D Currams won the penalty . i think C Slevin will be disappointed ,he put it to the right hand side and at a nice high for the keeper to save it .Low into the corner and make the keeper work .
E Grogan did well on COC and kept him scoreless .The Geraghtys worked their socks off but K Leonard D Kilmartain and J Gorman had a poor day ,3 guys that were so good all year.
The missed C Kielys youth and workrate fierce .
KK in general were poor ,their first touch was way off ,the looked heavy legged .Were the over trained .????????
I think St Rynagh Birr Clareen or Belmont would have beaten KK last sunday ,the were so flat.
I cant see massive retirements maybe P Healion and Ger .
KK have been consistent making the semi at least almost every year .The have 4 adult teams ,their competive at u 16 minor u21 level every year ,
To me 2017 was a big year for KK ,they bridge the gap from the 3 in a row team ,blooded young guys ,won the county title and got the a leinster final .Lads like E Grogan J Quinn P Geraghty T Geraghty C Kiely step up this year as leaders and Dan is back on form.
Young guys like S Leonard S Lowry C Quinn and K Guinan were blooded and their are a few more guys from last years minors to come through yet.
O Mahon will be back pushing for the full back spot next year and Con Mahon and D Murry will also be back .
The 2 Healion K Grogan C Slevin and M Leonard are over 30 the rest of the panel will be around for another few years .
Sunday went wrong but KK will have a big say in Offaly for the next few years in my opinion.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Where is Con Mahon gone?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

sam88885a wrote:Sunday went wrong for KK , nightmare start ,a ref that was very hard on them and their managment didnt react for 20 minutes ,by that time game was over .
S Byrne and his managment have to take some blame , starting G Healion on COC was madness , P Healion was hardly able to walk in the warm up ,yet he stayed on of 45 minutes against a super fit Cuala team .
The were completely out hurled in the first 25 minutes , Cuala scored 1 -08 in that time .1-02 of that came when the ref ignored frees to KK in the build up and to make matters worse he denied KK stone wall frees during that period , one that standout was T Geraghty having a free awarded against him for steps when he was been dragged back by the arm .Cuala fouled Dan Currams constantly and no frees were given .
Mattie Kenny had his homework ,KK managment failed to do their correctly .
J Quinn has his helmet pulled off and again ignored by the ref .C Mahon red card was correct and what a loss he was ,he had the beaten of the full back .
Eight points down and a man down at half time ,i feared the might get beat by 30 points but to their credit the battled and were hanging in when D Currams won the penalty . i think C Slevin will be disappointed ,he put it to the right hand side and at a nice high for the keeper to save it .Low into the corner and make the keeper work .
E Grogan did well on COC and kept him scoreless .The Geraghtys worked their socks off but K Leonard D Kilmartain and J Gorman had a poor day ,3 guys that were so good all year.
The missed C Kielys youth and workrate fierce .
KK in general were poor ,their first touch was way off ,the looked heavy legged .Were the over trained .????????
I think St Rynagh Birr Clareen or Belmont would have beaten KK last sunday ,the were so flat.
I cant see massive retirements maybe P Healion and Ger .
KK have been consistent making the semi at least almost every year .The have 4 adult teams ,their competive at u 16 minor u21 level every year ,
To me 2017 was a big year for KK ,they bridge the gap from the 3 in a row team ,blooded young guys ,won the county title and got the a leinster final .Lads like E Grogan J Quinn P Geraghty T Geraghty C Kiely step up this year as leaders and Dan is back on form.
Young guys like S Leonard S Lowry C Quinn and K Guinan were blooded and their are a few more guys from last years minors to come through yet.
O Mahon will be back pushing for the full back spot next year and Con Mahon and D Murry will also be back .
The 2 Healion K Grogan C Slevin and M Leonard are over 30 the rest of the panel will be around for another few years .
Sunday went wrong but KK will have a big say in Offaly for the next few years in my opinion.
What are Kinnitty meant to be like for the coming year with regards management and players?
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I think people been very harsh on kk. Cuala have won all their matches by big margins outside of Dublin. They are probably the best club team to come out of Leinster for the last ten years. Cuala vs the limerick champions would make for a great game. I don't think people fully appreciate just how much investment has gone into cuala for the last 3 years. More than every team in Offaly combined. Hurling and football.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Dual club in name only. Very few train. Not taken seriously like hurlin.
Seems like it alright. Read the Offaly Indo on Friday. Saw that Rynaghs football club had their AGM pencilled in for Friday. Went on twitter Saturday morning. The Hurling club had a Karaoke fundraiser the same night. Things don’t look great for the Cloghan end of the parish. Either a serious lack of communication and co-operation, or else it’s blatant ignorance.

What’s the story? I can see Rynaghs being relegated again if they don’t get their sh*t in gear.
Good Luck