Direction?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Direction?

Post by jimbob17 »

It might seem like an unusual topic name but this area I feel is probably the single most important issue within Offaly GAA. What direction are we taking and what do we need to do. Where can we improve? There has been lot of negativity over years, much posted on here. All said and done, we now have state of art training facility, albeit driven from people outside the county board. There is lot of negativity very often but I've yet to see real good quality debate on what is good or not and where specifically can we improve and who are the people in the county that could take up there? Too often people come on and just have a moan and b1tch.
My intention is that this is a constructive debate! So I just want to ask some questions!

Football first.

Where are we? Are doing the right things? If so what? If not where can we improve? What do we need to do? Who are the people that can help get us up the ladder? What is the good stuff going on in clubs / underage / schools? Where or how can this be improved?

Same questions for hurling!
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Direction?

Post by LooseCannon »

jimbob17 wrote:It might seem like an unusual topic name but this area I feel is probably the single most important issue within Offaly GAA. What direction are we taking and what do we need to do. Where can we improve? There has been lot of negativity over years, much posted on here. All said and done, we now have state of art training facility, albeit driven from people outside the county board. There is lot of negativity very often but I've yet to see real good quality debate on what is good or not and where specifically can we improve and who are the people in the county that could take up there? Too often people come on and just have a moan and b1tch.
My intention is that this is a constructive debate! So I just want to ask some questions!

Football first.

Where are we? Are doing the right things? If so what? If not where can we improve? What do we need to do? Who are the people that can help get us up the ladder? What is the good stuff going on in clubs / underage / schools? Where or how can this be improved?

Same questions for hurling!
Football: the up, I hope. New manager, plenty of time to have trial games. We have some quality players. Good u21 team from this year. Decent prospects. Positives aplenty.
Basics. A bit more emphasis on fitnes, nutrition and stretching at a younger age(u8 up). Basic strength work(u10 up)e.g. Body weight squats, plank, etc. More emphasis on skills, technique. Kicking off of either foot, handpassing off either hand. The earlier one starts, the easier it becomes.
Schools: tricky one. Primary: teachers need to take a more hands on approach. Having lads from the club coming to train a school is unacceptable. Obviously some schools have great teachers. Notably in Rhode's parish. A man with unwavering enthusiasm to help nurture and develop footballers to enrich its club successes.
Post Primary: a bit harder. Not all players go to school in Offaly. Tubber, Clara to Moate or Kilbeggan. Bracknagh, Clonbullogue, Walsh Island to Rathangan. West Offaly to Athlone? Ballinasloe?

Hurling:I'll wait in the long grass to see what comes of the report, if the parties get talking again, or if the report is gathering dust on a shelf, somewhere in Tullamore with Duignan and Flanagan's ones respectively.
Good Luck

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Most of West Offaly would go to Banagher or Ferbane I'd have thought. Certainly in my days in Sarans there were lads from Shannonbridge, Cloghan, Doon, Pullagh etc.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

The statement

"Primary: teachers need to take a more hands on approach. Having lads from the club coming to train a school is unacceptable."

shows one of the major problems. Teachers are not obliged to coach/train teams/players be that GAA, Soccer , rugby or whatever, Some will, some wont and for us those who wont cause us a difficulty which can only be overcome by Clubs &/or CB sending in coaches. Then of course there are those teachers who will only coach sports other than GAA and again, if the pupils are to be coached GAA, the Club/CB must fill the gap........

I wish the situation were otherwise but it is not and we have to live with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Stop giving out about schools and teachers
things have changed hugely. teachers are under huge pressure with multiple subjects, paperwork, misbehaving pupils and demanding parents/principals!

clubs have to support the teachers who give their time to the gaa in schools
Give them a club top or other oneills top.
a gift voucher for a restaurant as a thank you at end of year.

ensure the school has adequate gear - balls, bibs, poles.
has the school got goals? nets behind goals?
only the best...

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

manfromdelmonte wrote:Stop giving out about schools and teachers
things have changed hugely. teachers are under huge pressure with multiple subjects, paperwork, misbehaving pupils and demanding parents/principals!

clubs have to support the teachers who give their time to the gaa in schools
Give them a club top or other oneills top.
a gift voucher for a restaurant as a thank you at end of year.

ensure the school has adequate gear - balls, bibs, poles.
has the school got goals? nets behind goals?
Local schools that I know of have what they have from clubs- goalposts, bibs, cones, jerseys.
Previous teachers did Trojan work, and were always rewarded.
Current teachers either have no interest or can’t be bothered.
Male teachers with a passion for GAA are what is needed.(no sexism intended)
Good Luck