Ballinamere/ Durrow

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Ballinamere/ Durrow

Post by Buttons »

For a small parish they have had a magnificent year, to win the intermediate hurling one week and back it up by winning the senior b football the next is some achievement. As for the football has anyone scored 4 goals in a final like Jack Fogarty did last week against Bracknagh.

Looking at underage results on the offaly gaa website they reached the minor a football semi final, awaiting a minor a hurling semi final and still in both u21 competitions. They also beat kk in the minor a final last year.

Great to see a new team do well and hopefully they can bring it up to a senior level.

llkj
All Star

Re: Ballinamere/ Durrow

Post by llkj »

It is great to see B/D doing so well. They really seem to be getting a lot of the aspects of a well run club in place - good board, good underage coaching, improving facilities to cater for future growth, etc. Of course, they also have some very good players too. I don't know about records but 4 goals is a great achievement in a county final. One that he will treasure forever.

I think they have a great chance in Leinster this year and it should stand to them in Senior B hurling next year. Nobody would be surprised if they made the jump to Senior A pretty quickly. One thing that will take management is the amount of games that players will be playing. No worse than this year I suppose, but with both codes at a higher level, it will be tricky.

I am not sure about B/D being a small parish (in Offaly terms anyway). They are a part of the Tullamore parish, which means that they have a good spread of the rural part of the parish as well as a good sprinkling of players that live in the more urban part that have some connection to B/D.

Well done to them indeed and continued success. A good template for other clubs around the county to follow.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Recent wins are a result of many years of underage development. However, the last few years, they have really been pushing the underage development and I think that in about five years time, they will be well set up to make serious inroads on the higher end of senior level in both codes. They have a lot of interested parents (not that they aren't elsewhere), many of whom are from gaa background from other parts of offaly and beyond that have settled in the area and work in Tullamore.

They have a lot of development done in terms of facilities and more in progress that makes their club a central part of their community - much more than just a gaa club. One of the more progressive clubs in the county and surely a shoe in for club of the year, all I will say is watch this space for them over the coming years. In five years time they will be contending for senior honours in both codes and they will be the best club in Tullamore area in both hurling and football if the town club don't get their house in order. Just an opinion of course.
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

They have had some few weeks of it. Win senior b football to join top 8 for first time, win inter hurling to play in senior B hurling next year.

Big win however shows what is coming behind that group with their junior A team winning county championship and now the minor hurling team making the county A hurling final. They will be well set up to contend the big trophies in the years ahead.
jimbob

Buttons
All Star

Post by Buttons »

Went to Rath to see the u21 against Banagher, to see the traditional team losing to these men who can't hurl as one lad said in the stand is the way it goes. Banagher must be sick of bal/ durrow losing a minor and u21 in a week. The season that they have had with the intermediates and juniors helped today as they were a much fitter and determined team. Rynaghs were a point up at half time but ballinamere scored 1-3 after the restart and never looked back, to have Michael duignan and daithi Regan guiding the team and drilling them correct will only stand to them now and for their future.

I am not sure how many of these were out last Wednesday night beating edenderry in the u21 football semi final. Best of luck in both finals.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Who will be favourites for the final ? B/D or Birr...?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Who will be favourites for the final ? B/D or Birr...?
Methinks St Brendan's
Good Luck

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

When are Ballinamere intermediates playing in the Leinster junior hurling championship and against who?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

They played already. Game was called off firsly cause of weather conditions and then played under lights midweek, sometime at the end of october.

Fr.Daltons of Westmeath beat them 1-15 to 0-14.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Ah I see. No wonder there wasn't much about it. a loss to the westies in hurling never good.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

timber wrote:Ah I see. No wonder there wasn't much about it. a loss to the westies in hurling never good.
A loss to the westies would cut you down!
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Surely bal durrow are a shoe in for club of year! Three titles won and in finals for two more where he could win also. They are a club on the move and will overtake Tullamore as the most prominent club in the parish in both football and hurling in the next five years unless the town club get their act together at underage.

Outside of winning what they have won, they have a good bit of talent coming up to adult level over the next five or six years and with continued work will challenge for honours in senior level in both codes in the next few years.

Probably a little stronger in hurling winning two minors in a row but lot of football talent there too and will put up good fight in senior A if dual players are managed right.
jimbob

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

yes I agree it's probably a sign that offaly club hurling is more on same level as westmeath now or weaker. in recent enough years the offaly intermediate champions were well ahead of the likes of westmeath representatives and others bar Kilkenny who won it most years.

was offaly intermediate hurling very poor this year based on the Leinster result? it's a worry.

Buttons
All Star

Post by Buttons »

Ballinamere and durrow are two separate clubs, ballinamere in hurling and durrow in football so only one would get club of the year if it happens.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Buttons wrote:Ballinamere and durrow are two separate clubs, ballinamere in hurling and durrow in football so only one would get club of the year if it happens.
Is there an underage club of the year?
Could have joint winners for adult club of the year.
Good Luck