Numbers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks llkj.
llkj wrote:A. (is Tinnycross (458) Ballycommon or perhaps Cappincur?)

Don't take this as gospel, but I think Tinnycross is Tullamore parish. It is the area out around Ballydaly and that general area.

B. Ballinamere: Silverbrook 730 Durrow: Durrow 737 Tullamore: Tullamore Urban 11,375

There is a similar arrangement between BD and Tullamore, as you referenced with Edenderry and Ballyfore, as there are lots of examples of the unoffical border between the catchment areas being pretty fluid, with plenty of players from the urban area playing with BD over the years and vice versas.

C. (I suspect Tullamore rural (3,034) is Shamrocks but someone might have an opinion on this?)
Not sure, but I do know that the Tullamore/Shamrocks border is traditionally set at the first gates to Charleville Castle, as you are leaving the town.

Definitely an interesting study and nice work putting it together. Some data analysis could definitely show us areas for improvement when it comes to adoption of our games.

I'd also be curious to see the primary schools in the county and they clubs that they feed into.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks theman, and welcome back!

Walsh Island is 'missing' and may be the eastern part of Bracknagh on the map I used. I wouldn't be familar with that part of the county (other than very occasionally travelling along the road from Rathangan to Portarlington). And if that is the case with Bracknagh, it shows that a tight knit club can achieve and make the most of scarce resources.
theman wrote:Just want to throw my two cents worth into those figures.

Being from this part of the county, I can assure you Bracknagh do not have that population. I would say they have half that population - in around 500 mark. They are doing unbelievable stuff with the small pick they have and fair play to them.

Clonbullogue figure is probably right. They have the biggest pick in the parish of St Broughans. Walsh Island as far as I know would take in some figures from Bracknagh, Gracefield, Cloneygowan. I would say their population would be no more than 400 ish - open to correction.

Why would you feel no sympathy towards Crinkle, Bracknagh or Clonbullogue may I ask?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Go raibh maith agat, TR.
True Red wrote:Great work Pat
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks club125. And welcome back!
club125 wrote:Great piece of work and such an analysis is badly needed to accurately assess potential playing population in Offaly. Just a couple of observations;

Further analysis should include the schools. C na mB Scoil would have good data but I understand c.55 - 60 schools enter teams (some multiple teams) in competitions. Granted some schools will field mixed boys & girls teams but I still think the total school playing populations is at variance with the low numbers of teams entering Offaly competitions c. 15 in each code.

In Offaly we are undermining the potential of our playing population by persisting with amalgamated teams when the ability of clubs to field under their own banner is available. We must clarify, are amalgamations a useful tool to allow clubs who don't have the numbers to field on their own join together to enter a team or are they an amalgamation of convenience so that honours can be collected.

I believe in Offaly we have drifted to the latter to the detriment of our potential playing population and overall sustainability of our smaller clubs.

I have heard (unconfirmed) that 63 players were togged out in the recent U14A football final. St. Broughan's v St. Manchan's. It these amalgamations have these numbers then the justification for a combined effort is surely absent.

We need more players, more teams, more and varied competition's to improve Gaelic Games in Offaly. Hard & accurate data needs to be utilised to ensure that.

Well done.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks, Turk. I wasn't aware of that townlands site until you referred to it. A great resource, brilliant site.
turk wrote:Great work

Most of the figure for Gallen listed under St Rynaghs would be in Ferbane parish. The Ferbane parish part would run from the Brosna bridge in the town out to the boundary at the Grand Canal.
Lumcloon electoral area is a set of townslands up around Belmont - that was a new one on me. Lumcloon townsland is part of Gallen electoral area, according to townslands.ie which has a lot of maps and info on it. Interesting stuff!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 pm

It sems that way indeed. Which makes a reconciliation between LEAs, Catholic parishes and GAA clubs a frustrating exercise. Moreso if Lumcloon is a different Lumcloon to the more instantly recognisable one, and Cappincur/Cappancur is hardly Cappincur at all.
NewEra wrote:Much of the Cappancur electoral area is part of the Raheen, Ballinagar and Clodiagh Gaels pick so that number is not representative of the pick for GAA. It is essentially a 4 mile stretch of main road. I would estimate that our pick is roughly half the above so 700ish. https://www.townlands.ie/offaly/cappancur/ from the attached area, Cappincur GAA only has 1/3 of this.

Very interesting. It seems that club boundaries are very different to the electoral/census areas.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby theman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 am

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thanks theman, and welcome back!

Walsh Island is 'missing' and may be the eastern part of Bracknagh on the map I used. I wouldn't be familar with that part of the county (other than very occasionally travelling along the road from Rathangan to Portarlington). And if that is the case with Bracknagh, it shows that a tight knit club can achieve and make the most of scarce resources.
theman wrote:Just want to throw my two cents worth into those figures.

Being from this part of the county, I can assure you Bracknagh do not have that population. I would say they have half that population - in around 500 mark. They are doing unbelievable stuff with the small pick they have and fair play to them.

Clonbullogue figure is probably right. They have the biggest pick in the parish of St Broughans. Walsh Island as far as I know would take in some figures from Bracknagh, Gracefield, Cloneygowan. I would say their population would be no more than 400 ish - open to correction.

Why would you feel no sympathy towards Crinkle, Bracknagh or Clonbullogue may I ask?


Good to be back POTH.

Bracknagh in fairness are making good use of their resources. They would have very tight borders with Rathangan, Clonbullogue, Ballykelly, Raheen, Gracefield clubs all within a few miles from the Village itself.

Walsh Island would also have tight borders, particularly with Raheen. I'm nearly sure their was a "row" a few years ago over borders with the two clubs - open to correction though. I think Walsh Island will struggle in the next few years tbh. They only ever seem to have 1 or 2 players on St Broughans underage teams over the past years.

Just in relation to a point that was made about the recent under 14A Final having 60+ players togged out. From a St Broughans point of view, this group of players are an exception, Normally the squads are very tight through the years. From St Manchans point of view, the clubs that make up that parish actually played in the U14 B/C Grade under their own clubs so all their players got experience championship football - which is brilliant IMO.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more
User avatar
theman
All Star
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Why does Seán Ryan play with Birr? He's in the Crinkle area, is he not?
Or is it a parish thing.
My opinion on the parish issue is whichever club's catchment area you're in, you should play with that club. Brings more competitiveness when every club has every player available to them. No room for excuses. It raises the bar.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Numbers

Postby SearingDrive » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

POTH and other posters.

For information, there is a townland of Derryadd, in Killeigh parish.

Tinny cross is a few miles from Tullamore, and is in Tullamore parish. Spollen Concrete had a plant there In the 70's

Shamrocks, Rahan parish comes in the Charleville Road in Tullamore, as far as The Harriers stadium. The areas from there back to the Finger Board are also in Rahan parish.


Hope this of some use.
SearingDrive
All Star
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:52 pm

SearingDrive wrote:POTH and other posters.

For information, there is a townland of Derryadd, in Killeigh parish.

Tinny cross is a few miles from Tullamore, and is in Tullamore parish. Spollen Concrete had a plant there In the 70's

Shamrocks, Rahan parish comes in the Charleville Road in Tullamore, as far as The Harriers stadium. The areas from there back to the Finger Board are also in Rahan parish.


Hope this of some use.


You learn something new everyday.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Numbers

Postby joe bloggs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

LooseCannon wrote:Why does Seán Ryan play with Birr? He's in the Crinkle area, is he not?
Or is it a parish thing.
My opinion on the parish issue is whichever club's catchment area you're in, you should play with that club. Brings more competitiveness when every club has every player available to them. No room for excuses. It raises the bar.


You really are a loose cannon trying to drag up that old chestnut!
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean
User avatar
joe bloggs
All Star
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: canal side

Re: Numbers

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 pm

joe bloggs wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:Why does Seán Ryan play with Birr? He's in the Crinkle area, is he not?
Or is it a parish thing.
My opinion on the parish issue is whichever club's catchment area you're in, you should play with that club. Brings more competitiveness when every club has every player available to them. No room for excuses. It raises the bar.


You really are a loose cannon trying to drag up that old chestnut!


I genuinely don't know; if there's a major issue, I'll take it down.

Where would Clonmore be with the two McPaddens?

Ballyfore mightn't have dropped to junior B with David Brady.

If a player is good enough, he'll 9/10 times get on a county panel. Cillian Farrell is an example of that. Albeit Hurling, where there were no competitive clubs around North Offaly at the time.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Numbers

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:14 pm

LooseCannon wrote:Why does Seán Ryan play with Birr? He's in the Crinkle area, is he not?
Or is it a parish thing.
My opinion on the parish issue is whichever club's catchment area you're in, you should play with that club. Brings more competitiveness when every club has every player available to them. No room for excuses. It raises the bar.


I asked the question before I knew of the podcast. It was merely a coincidence.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Numbers

Postby Lone Shark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 pm

The reason that's a touch controversial, is that Sean would have been one of several players who moved to Birr from Crinkill, prior to the new arrangement (albeit he would have been eligible to switch anyway, even under the new rules).
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Back Home!

Re: Numbers

Postby manfromdelmonte » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Birr always good for poaching the Crinkle lads

the only thing Crinkle win is handball titles.
only the best...
manfromdelmonte
All Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Previous

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 5 guests