It just got dirty

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Where is Far From Croghan Hill coming from? It has been regularly highlighted in recent days (in print, on radio and in general conversations) that IF - and I stress IF - Offaly broke the rule in question, the Leinster Council is entitled to punish Offaly by way of a fine. This punishment was passed at Congress in April.

juteman
County player

Post by juteman »

We should be ok and be awarded the game.If Leinster council, the sideline official cannot decide the issue that means there is enough grey area on the subject not to take the game away from us.(how can you have done wrong if it takes this much to sort it out-it should be straght forward)
I was going to type that we will be ok and be awarded the game but when Dubin and Tyrone players got away after their brawl and a guy that admitted raping a 12 yr old walks out of prison sometimes the lawmakers and enforcers get it all wrong and you never know.
JUTEMAN

borderfox
Junior A

Post by borderfox »

why dont we all just wait and see what happens, it would be tough on the offaly players to be penalised though,

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Rule 113(b) of the GAA's Official Guide states that any team that exceeds the permitted number of subs must be punished - either by a fine,forfeiting the match or playing a replay.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

My reading of this thus far then is that I hope we do get a fine - because that will give Kildare nowhere to go. If we get let off they can appeal, whereas if we get fined they are forced to put their cards on the table and say they want a sly way back in, since the rules will have been applied.

I was pure confident on this yesterday - I'm gone nervous again today.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I hope so LS.
We should be fined for presenting PK for return to the field incorrectly.

Like I keep on saying to people; Offaly did not at ANY stage have a player on the field that couldn't have legitimately been there and surely that counts for something.

The reference to other cases by the media and indeed the Kildare board is misleading and inaccurate and only serves to cause even more confusion.

So first Kildare have no problem, then they don't ask for a replay directly and then the say that the hope that they're put straight into the semi final! FFS! Sure just give them the cup now without winning a single match!

Treasurer
All Star

subs

Post by Treasurer »

We should be fined for presenting PK for return to the field incorrectly.
Even that's very debatable, but I'd settle for it.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I agree, it seems to be a grey area. But like LS says maybe a fine would be the best result and then that would close the door for appeal.

If we had players on the field who, under the rules that exist, could not have been there in the order that they were, for example if there was a clear extra substition (as opposed to a temp blood replacement), or if we had a man more than we should have had on the field then you would expect an appeal but thats not what happened here.

Anyway, wait and see I suppose, it would set the game in Offaly back a long way if we were kicked out. hopefully the intentions of the management and officials will be taken into account.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

As somebody who takes his gambling seriously, I know the effect that a run of "bad luck" can have psychologically. It doesn't matter that some bad luck is inevitable, or that some of it may just be a close game that you were a little short in, but the fact remains that the perception of being hard one by is there, and it becomes very difficult to keep the chin up and keep doing the right things over a long period of time. While the hurlers may have got their share of luck in 1998, this is a different team, so that luck doesn't still exist. The mental discipline required to not go feck it all for a game of darts is strong. Now look at the good fortunes our footballers have had this millenium.

2000 After a big win over a Meath, a late Padraig Kelly free goes ever so close to securing another win over Kildare. We get edged out, Kildare go on to win Leinster.

2001 Dodgy square ball goal against Dublin, Mac hits the post, late free missed against Louth, lose by a point.

2002 Seamus Prior blows up two minutes into four signalled minutes of over time when we have the hurricane wind and Grennan has won the ball and is about five yards short of scoring range. In the replay Paddy Russell tells Quinn we have more time, free is tapped over the bar and he blows for full time.

2003 Thrown ball gives Lalor a dubious goal that gets Laois a reprieve, they win Leinster, we meet Frankie on a ridiculously hot streak and get knocked out in Mullingar. Rossie guy gets his second yellow on 69 minutes, misses two minutes of play before the "new game" - Grennan gets his second yellow two minutes into extra time and misses twenty minutes of play.

2004 Knocked out by a wide ball against Westmeath

2005 Late sucker punch goal against Laois to add to the tale of woe.

There's only so much human beings can take. In all that time you couldn't pick out one championship game that we sneaked on a close call. If this gets taken away I really fear for where it will leave us.

Hocker
All Star

But why the late substitution??

Post by Hocker »

Alright, fair enough, we've been unlucky in the past few years.. Blah blah... But For fuck sake, why did they make that last substitution when they didnt need to, I mean how stupid were Cooney & Co on the side line?? Firstly, messin up the sub slips at half time, & then taking a fourth officials word that the last sub, bringing on Keane was legit!
I honestly dont know what to expect from this meeting on Saturday, unless the gods are on our side, this has replay in Portlaois written all over it and god knows what'll happen then!
After a terrific team performance on Sunday last... Are we perhaps the creators of our own downfall yet again??

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

From my reading of it i think a replay is out of the question at this stage unless central council recommends it.
Only options by way of sanction available to them are a fine and a clip on the ear for Offaly or else forfeiture of the match.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I would sympathise with the lads on the line to a certain degree - they asked the official, it's hardly unreasonable to expect that he'd keep them on the straight and narrow.

Treasurer
All Star

113b

Post by Treasurer »

Kildare County Board statement says we broke Rule 113b. Rule 113b looks like a penalty to me.....

113 Rules of Specification and Control - Penalties

Penalties for breaches of the above Rules shall be as follows:
(a).....

(b) A team exceeding the number of substitutions
permitted under Rules 2.4 (i) and (ii) Rules of Specification, Playing Rules.

PENALTY - Forfeiture of game to opposing team.

Surely the relevant rule is 2.4?

The Biff
All Star

Hmmmm

Post by The Biff »

So if this goes to "the ultimate course of action", how are the DRA likely to react to an Appeal on grounds where they have cited the wrong Rule?

Sore losers, and stupid to boot ! :evil:

Treasurer
All Star

Re:

Post by Treasurer »

I must say I'm relieved to hear Christy Todd saying we broke NO rule, as opposed to pleading a clerical error.