Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by Kevin »

first_touch wrote:Very proud of Belmont they gave it everything. They just could not make enough use of possession in the second half and missed a couple of decent chances towards the end. They were unlucky too in that early in the second half, when they would have expected to build on a very good first half performance against a strong wind, a shower of driving rain came down, making conditions a lottery.

I found the continuous barracking of referee Brian Gavin by a section of the Kilcormac Killoughey supporters to be distasteful. They were even roaring at him when KK were awarded a free! They only time they went quiet was when Grogan slashed the hurl down on Oisin Kelly. They knew in their hearts he should have got the line.

I thought Rynagh's gave a very composed performance and are likely to have a big game in them in the final. Stephen Quirke gave an exhibition of freetaking. I agree totally that it was a wrong decision by the referee to give that free to Rynagh's when it should have gone the other way. It led to what turned out to be the winning score.
Was Oisin Kelly able to continue after the above mentioned incident? If injured, hope he is ok.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Reading Tyrell book at the moment. What a beast. (both good and bad). If you every what to see the problem with Offaly read the last few posts, Bitching about crowds and slaps.
thank god the ref isn't blowing for everything. It's a mans game. If your not able to look after yourself in a club game them what hope do you have at inter county.
I remember Martin Hanney when he retired saying we were in big trouble. What cause a hard hitting u12 team would scare the shit out of our hurlers. Players lying down after a slap.
Tyrell book show how to win big game and it winning them by imposing yourself on the game. by any means necessary.
Tyrell underline mind set was winning ugly is still winning.

We're BIFFO. We have lost what we are, tough, hardy, mean and loveable bogmen.
loveable cause we're winner not cause were nice hurlers.

Back to Games.
Kilcormac Killoughey Vs Belmont. Take a bow both teams. Dogs for war. It was a battle. Hard hitting from both side. But not Dirty. The two full back are huge mean hard hurling. Kenny floored Peter Gerathy and Healion floored Damien Egan in the 1st few mins. Hard but fair. Mark Egan level Leonard and Gorgan Level Kelly. tough but both got up and came back with more.
There was no Bitching from the teams, They were true Biffo, they tougher it got the more they like it. True Hurling men.
The Weather, the pressure from the other team hard work turned the game into an ugly to watch. But all Battles are ugly.
Talking to the Belmont lads after the match, True hurling men. Devastated to lose, but Love the Battle, Love been in a semi Final, determeted to be back next year as Champions.
Great men, great club.

St. Ryangh's Vs Seir Keirans. This wasn't a battle. i never feel that Clareen were going to win this. The game plan for the 1st 20 mins we poor. trying to run into tackle and throwing blind passes. Rynagh's should gave had 2 goals from Clareen mistakes.
after 20 mins the back start using the wind and hitting the ball and Clareen start winning the breaks.
After the break Ryangh's were the better team but look afriad to shot, didn't want to send silly wide and were looking for the prefect score. slowly they found the space and got the scores.
Clareen old failing are still there, that forward line isn't working hard at all. they excellent hurlers but so lazy.
After the match, Listen to Clareen lads, It's was the weather, Ref and the pitch.
Gary Kelly point(and overall display) was worth the admisition fee. that man is more of a warrior that the whole Clareen forward line together.

Looking forward to a good final now.
“Common sense is not so common.”

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Travelled down from the big smoke to watch the hurling on Sunday hoping for a Belmont/Rynagh final, can't have everything I suppose! Conditions were not ideal for the type of game that I felt Belmont and Rynaghs tried to play, rynaghs experience with the running game probably seen them through in the end though Clareen had a complete melt down after half time offering nothing going forward. Joe Bergin was on the end of one or two digs that went unpunished though he missed some scorable frees which could have swung it given that Rynaghs forwards were offering next to nothing from play. Are Rynaghs any better this year than last? Clareen did well against them in their two games against them this year and I just fear that if their running game doesn't click, like it very nearly didn't on sunday, they could be susceptible to ambush. In terms of ability, they probably have the best hurling 15 in the county with some lovely hurlers in each line of the field. The thinking being that they are lovely hurlers if allowed to play, but can they do it when its put up to them physically? Seen Sean Dolan play football for rynaghs against clara recently and he was a force of nature moving the ball forward in what was a disappointing performance overall. He doesn't seem to have the same game when switching codes, and while there are major differences between hurling and football, could rynaghs benefit from getting him on ball earlier from deep and letting him run at defenses and draw fouls or lay off a man coming on the shoulder? Gazza Kelly was immense, far and away the best player on the field. Can't comment on the pat camon at midfield experiment as havent seen enough of him there this year but I suppose the injury to Joe O Connor constituted a reshuffle. Scales seems to have carved a niche out for himself as an impact sub and did well when he came on. Sean Kenny can feel sorry for himself having had a great year last year before losing his place at the semi final stage. As mentioned above the rynaghs front 6 just didnt click on the day.

Forgive the scattered structure of the post, just my humble musings on what was on show!

Out of interest, of the 4 teams on display, would anyone fancy putting together an intercounty 15 based on the 60 or so players that were on show sunday? I know the likes of james dempsey would be a shoe-in for the goalkeepers slot but entertain me. An intercounty 15 from what was on show sunday, go!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

pigeon house biffo wrote:tried to play, rynaghs experience with the running game probably seen them through in the end though Clareen had a complete melt down after half time offering nothing going forward. Joe Bergin was on the end of one or two digs that went unpunished though he missed some scorable frees which could have swung it given that Rynaghs forwards were offering next to nothing from play. Are Rynaghs any better this year than last? Clareen did well against them in their two games against them this year and I just fear that if their running game doesn't click, like it very nearly didn't on sunday, they could be susceptible to ambush. In terms of
pigeon house biffo wrote:Travelled down from the big smoke to watch the hurling on Sunday hoping for a Belmont/Rynagh final, can't have everything I suppose! Conditions were not ideal for the type of game that I felt Belmont and Rynaghs tried to play, rynaghs experience with the running game probably seen them through in the end though Clareen had a complete melt down after half time offering nothing going forward. Joe Bergin was on the end of one or two digs that went unpunished though he missed some scorable frees which could have swung it given that Rynaghs forwards were offering next to nothing from play. Are Rynaghs any better this year than last? Clareen did well against them in their two games against them this year and I just fear that if their running game doesn't click, like it very nearly didn't on sunday, they could be susceptible to ambush. In terms of ability, they probably have the best hurling 15 in the county with some lovely hurlers in each line of the field. The thinking being that they are lovely hurlers if allowed to play, but can they do it when its put up to them physically? Seen Sean Dolan play football for rynaghs against clara recently and he was a force of nature moving the ball forward in what was a disappointing performance overall. He doesn't seem to have the same game when switching codes, and while there are major differences between hurling and football, could rynaghs benefit from getting him on ball earlier from deep and letting him run at defenses and draw fouls or lay off a man coming on the shoulder? Gazza Kelly was immense, far and away the best player on the field. Can't comment on the pat camon at midfield experiment as havent seen enough of him there this year but I suppose the injury to Joe O Connor constituted a reshuffle. Scales seems to have carved a niche out for himself as an impact sub and did well when he came on. Sean Kenny can feel sorry for himself having had a great year last year before losing his place at the semi final stage. As mentioned above the rynaghs front 6 just didnt click on the day.

Forgive the scattered structure of the post, just my humble musings on what was on show!

Out of interest, of the 4 teams on display, would anyone fancy putting together an intercounty 15 based on the 60 or so players that were on show sunday? I know the likes of james dempsey would be a shoe-in for the goalkeepers slot but entertain me. An intercounty 15 from what was on show sunday, go!
U forgot to mention KK,who did beat Belmont on sunday too.
As for picking 15 county guys last sunday ,Ben Conneely D Short G Kelly S quirke and P Camon stood up for St Rynagh . Eanna Murphy was outstanding at centre back and A Hynes J Bergin and T Carroll had a good first half for Clareen. David Kenny C Cahaill D Nally D Egan had huge games for Belmont . G Healion K Grogan J Quinn S leonard and C Kiely played their part for KK.
Outside whats currently on the county E Murphy and maybe young S Leonard in a few years

-

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There is nothing manly about pulling down on top of someone's head from behind like that. Period.

And can you post a link to that 'Martin Hanney' quote please? 'Citation needed', as they say on Wikipedia.
Toxicity234 wrote:Reading Tyrell book at the moment. What a beast. (both good and bad). If you every what to see the problem with Offaly read the last few posts, Bitching about crowds and slaps.
thank god the ref isn't blowing for everything. It's a mans game. If your not able to look after yourself in a club game them what hope do you have at inter county.
I remember Martin Hanney when he retired saying we were in big trouble. What cause a hard hitting u12 team would scare the shit out of our hurlers. Players lying down after a slap.
Tyrell book show how to win big game and it winning them by imposing yourself on the game. by any means necessary.
Tyrell underline mind set was winning ugly is still winning.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

[quote="Plain of the Herbs"]There is nothing manly about pulling down on top of someone's head from behind like that. Period.

Plain of the herbs
He didnt pull down on his head but he let young Kelly know that he wasnt going to put up the hand today .
He has struggled with a leg injury last year and this year and came back in at corner back to mark the goal machine O Kelly and held he to 1 point so give him the credit and respect he deserves.
Look at the job he did on Lar Corbitt and Tj Reid in 2013 and 2014, he has been a wonderfull defender for his club ,i wish we had someone like him in Kinnity.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Sam/Tox or whatever. You're not from Kinnitty. If you were ud at least be able to spell it properly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Well said King Kev.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sam,

Here's your chance for redemption.

Name the starting 15 for Kinnitty and their positions from Saturday's league semi-final vs Clareen.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

So, to Sunday –

”Champions are champions not because they do the most amazing things but because they do the basics correctly when the pressure is at its height.” Enda McEvoy writing in the Irish Examiner on the day after the All-Ireland football Final.

St Rynagh’s have consistently found it difficult to carry good semi-final form into a final. There was 2015, when they were scintillating when beating Kilcormac, arguably their best performance this decade (that, and 2012’s quarter-final). There was 2014. Ah, yes, 2014. Granted, Kilcormac-KIlloughey were at their peak then, and were six weeks away from bringing Ballyhale to extra time. Then, the St Rynagh’s team game floundered, blown away in the face of Kilcormac-Killoughey’s power game. K-K faces may have changed in the interim, but green and gold remain no less powerful.

Difficult to keep it going into perpetuity. K-k were undoubtedly tired in 2015. It showed in their hurling and while they died, boots on, freshness, and the lack of it, were factors. They never really clicked with Martin Fogarty in 2016, for whatever reason. Ger Healion’s absence was a factor too. Yet, St Rynagh’s sourced their winning run from out the field, turning to the bench after which Conor Hernon picking out Garry Conneely with the most delightful mid-range stickpasses. KIlcormac-Killoughey’s hunger is back.

One of the most interesting features of K-K in their semi-final win was the ability of Stephen Leonard and Peter and Thomas Geraghty to carry the ball into the wind from the ’65 to the ’21. Offaly defences struggle to contain such a plan, something Offaly type tackling is deficient in stopping. This could be a trump card on Sunday. Running at a defence drawn frees, and a point from a free 30 metres out counts the same as one from play off the hurl from 80 metres. If there is a worry, it was the tendency to invoke the spirit of Austin Gleeson, driving frees high and wide from 100 metres.

The St Rynagh’s team game, involving support play and stickpasses, is beautiful to watch. All depends on what type of hurling you like to watch. It suits the team, and they team suits the style. You couldn’t go into Kilcormac, (for example, I could pick several others), and promote that method in a short space of time. How they reacted when behind, showing absolute trust in the plan, was impressive.

One man who has epitomised the St Rynagh’s method is Conor Hernon. Always hurls with his head up, always looking to pick a pass, and they way he continued his run to collect the return pass from Gary Kelly which set up Garry Conneely for the goal chance was echt St Rynagh’s v2017. Should St Rynagh’s win, he will be a candidate for Senior hurler of the year.

The Kilcormac-Killoughey full-back line has seen several changes during they year. Yet, Ger Healion’s return to guard square’s edge was crucial to their semi-final win, and will be significant here too. Jordan Quinn’s eventual promotion has strengthened the outer layer of the defence. James Gorman’s form has been good too scoring 0-3, 0-4, 0-4 and 0-3 from play in their last four matches (during which only one goal was scored). With Currams out, he will need to produce something similar. And he might, given the obvious aerial advantage over each of the opposition’s full-back trio. K-K's leading candidate for hurler of the year.

Neither score goals. St Rynagh’s just aren’t set up to score goals. KiIcormac-Killoughey are, and are the most likely to score a goal on Sunday.

Paul Quirke will be a loss to St Rynagh’s. He has worked hard in attack and has scored 0-11 this year, which mightn’t seem a lot, but the St Rynagh’s total has been shared between 20 different players. Perhaps Joey O’Connor will be recalled following his injury which forced him to miss the quarter-final and semi-final wins.

For me, the year’s highlight was when the two Wynnes played ‘ping pong’ on halfway with time running out in the quarter-final, patiently waiting for the correct gap to open up though supporters yelled “drive it, drive it!”. The opportunity did present, and the score landed. Whovever keeps their heads when pressure mounts will celebrate on Sunday night.

A quick word on the Intemediate final. Ballinamere shouldn’t be Intermediate this year, whatever they were at last year. With Gerry Spollen and Phil McDermott in defence, Paddy Murphy and Nicholas Minnock in attack, they should win. Indeed, with one of Piltown, Slieverue and John Lockes remaining in Kilkenny (no Bennettsbridge, Ballyragget, Glenmore or Thomastown in Junior grade this year), a successful Leinster campaign cannot be discounted.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

It took three years but Kilcormac-Killoughey rediscovered their mojo yesterday. Last seen in Portlaoise when they played Ballyhale, they now look set to give Leinster a right rattle.

Fired up, K-K played to their strengths, the hits were relentless and legal. Including Ger Healion’s early hit on Garry Conneely which was side-on and was incorrectly penalised. In respects, it was a tremendous Final, apart from the hits, there were sublime handling and control, and good combination play.

Have to mention Killian Leonard, who led from the front in his full-back line, reading the play superbly and ensuring no one was going to pass. I don’t agree with man of the match awards (how do you single out one man over the course of a whole match in a team sport?) but Leonard was denied his gong by the media penchant for picking the freetaker. Anyway, the Kilcormac-Killoughey defence as a unit was stout. It has a solid look about it and they deserve some luck on the injury from here on.

Further upfield, Ciarán Slevin and Cillian Kiely’s is an effective midfield combination. Similar type hurlers, they attack from deep but that similarity is an asset. Thomas Geraghty can scarcely ever have hurled better, James Gorman’s early scores laid down a marker, and Daniel Currams was tremendous.

Seán Dolan deserves mention to, and for much of the game carried his side single handed.

St Rynagh’s abandonment of their plan cost them dearly, and they turned over possession too easily with careless ground strokes. Music to the eyes of the ‘drive it’ brigade on the terrace, but utterly counter-productive on the field, particularly during that phase when they withdrew a full-forward and played with two up front. And quite why they thought Ger Scales (a nippy corner-forward) was the man to mark Ciarán Slevin is anyone’s guess. It was their preferred ‘pass and move’ game that brought them back into it late in the game.

A key moment in the St Rynagh’s recovery was the switch between Dermot Shortt and Aidan Treacy. At the same time, K-K switched Conor Mahon and Peter Healion (with the latter replaced by Brian Leonard shortly after). Now, I don’t know who originated the switch and whose was reactionary, but I wonder was Conor Mahon’s influence missed from out the field. Many of the St Rynagh’s attacks originated from afar.

A fine save by Slevin at the death. The goal chance probably fell to the wrong man, as it ended a man with a neater stroke to slip the ball past the goalkeeper.

I expect Kilcormac-Killoughey to go hard at Leinster now. They have unfinished business since 2014, with their size and physicality they are ideally suited to the Leinster championship, and barring further injuries, they will have a welcome selection headache with Daniel Currams and Brian Leonard available. And the five weeks gives them time to celebrate and regroup.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The attendance at yesterday's Final, at 6,117, was strong given the full match was shown on TG4 yesterday afternoon, and the inclement weather.

For comparison, the two previous Kilcormac-Killoughey v St Rynagh's finals drew 7,573 in 2012 and 6,312 (the latter played on a very wet day). The previous final that was shown in full on TG4 was the 2013 Kilcormac-Killoughey v Birr one which attracted 5,600.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The attendance at yesterday's Final, at 6,117, was strong given the full match was shown on TG4 yesterday afternoon, and the inclement weather.

For comparison, the two previous Kilcormac-Killoughey v St Rynagh's finals drew 7,573 in 2012 and 6,312 (the latter played on a very wet day). The previous final that was shown in full on TG4 was the 2013 Kilcormac-Killoughey v Birr one which attracted 5,600.
POTH, you'd hardly have the attendances for senior county finals for the last 20 years or so? The 10,000 in 2009 I assume was exceptional? The hurling final in Offaly is still the biggest annual sport event every year in the county, suggesting there's still a hurling pulse there among the population.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't, Brack. It's something I only began keeping track of a few years ago. Any anyway, the general thing was that the figures given were estimated by the media. From memory, hurling finals drew 7k - 7.5k during the glory years, and were falling to around 5k as the 2000s progressed. Kilcormac-Killoughey have a significant support and attendances are usually boosted when they are involved, such as 2007, 2009, 2012 etc. And yes, the 10k for 2009's final would have been a record, while the 1982 final also drew a crowd in t hat region.
bracknaghboy wrote:POTH, you'd hardly have the attendances for senior county finals for the last 20 years or so? The 10,000 in 2009 I assume was exceptional? The hurling final in Offaly is still the biggest annual sport event every year in the county, suggesting there's still a hurling pulse there among the population.