New Managers for 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

New Managers for 2018

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Re: New Managers for 2018

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Rumour has it Tom Coffee will be named.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

"Dear Lord if you keep Pascal from becoming Offaly manager we will build several churches in your honor."
If it's Pascal we'll become so defensive it'll be completely unwatchable. I thought Rhode had a great chance against Vincents in last Decembers Leinster final yet they were sent out with zero ambition and made no effort whatsoever to try and win that game. It was a real shame.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

bracknaghboy wrote:"Dear Lord if you keep Pascal from becoming Offaly manager we will build several churches in your honor."
If it's Pascal we'll become so defensive it'll be completely unwatchable. I thought Rhode had a great chance against Vincents in last Decembers Leinster final yet they were sent out with zero ambition and made no effort whatsoever to try and win that game. It was a real shame.
Agree about Pascal, did the same thing with the Offaly minors a few years ago against Dublin and we got anihilated, would like to see Peter Brady get the job myself, Had Edenderry play an entertaining brand of football and he developed a good bunch of young players that broke the stranglehold that Clara and Rhode had over Offaly Football in the early 2010s

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Kerry’s Stephen Wallace has been recommended as the new Offaly Senior Football Manager. The Committee comprising of Chairman Tommy Byrne, Secretary Eamonn Cusack and former Offaly players Vinny Claffey, Finbar Cullen and Paul Mollen have recommended, subject to ratification at the next County Committee meeting, Wallace’s appointment.

Stephen, who was most recently in charge of Tralee IT’s Sigerson Team, managed Kerry to win All-Ireland Junior titles in 2015 & 2016, while he also managed his home club Ardfert to All-Ireland Intermediate success in 2015. His backroom team will be announced in the coming days.
Good Luck

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Very highly thought of in his native Kerry....Good selection in my view, all his teams play open attacking football

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

He seems to have a healthy pedigree and one would imagine his work with a 3rd level team in Tralee would give him experience of blending the u-21 set up into the senior panel. A positive appointment and hopefully our lads can row in behind him.

More worrying is the hurling management situation. I was in O'Connor park on Sunday and noticed the office where the RTE panel normally sit was occupied by 3/4 people. Were these candidates for the senior job or is this office normally reserved for county board delegates?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

pigeon house biffo wrote:He seems to have a healthy pedigree and one would imagine his work with a 3rd level team in Tralee would give him experience of blending the u-21 set up into the senior panel. A positive appointment and hopefully our lads can row in behind him.

More worrying is the hurling management situation. I was in O'Connor park on Sunday and noticed the office where the RTE panel normally sit was occupied by 3/4 people. Were these candidates for the senior job or is this office normally reserved for county board delegates?
I think that was radio 3 commentary/sound men
Good Luck

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Alloutbarthegoalie wrote:Rumour has it Tom Coffee will be named.
Fecking rumours!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

LooseCannon wrote:
pigeon house biffo wrote:He seems to have a healthy pedigree and one would imagine his work with a 3rd level team in Tralee would give him experience of blending the u-21 set up into the senior panel. A positive appointment and hopefully our lads can row in behind him.

Aye, but were they being interviewed for the vacant hurling job?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:

Aye, but were they being interviewed for the vacant hurling job?
I hope it was Brian Carroll and not John Leahy on commentary so
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I know very little about the man, but the best of luck to Stephen Wallace.

I assume whatever style he opts to play will be the one that best suits the players he has available.
There's no point 'open and attacking' ourselves into Division 4 if we're easily picked apart at the back.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I know very little about the man, but the best of luck to Stephen Wallace.

I assume whatever style he opts to play will be the one that best suits the players he has available.
There's no point 'open and attacking' ourselves into Division 4 if we're easily picked apart at the back.
I believe he was attacking with the Kerry junior team.
Also he has worked with players that were developing into being involved with Kerry's senior set up.
We could see the likes of Lalor, Dempsey, Rohan, Mcevoy, Higgins all stepping up this year.
I believe whoever recommended him could have pulled off a great acquisition.

We'll wait and see.
Good Luck

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Wishing the man and his backroom team the best of luck. I think there's a good squad available, and talented young players that, if looked after, can make real progress in the next couple of years. Under Flanagan's reign I think good progress was made re s/c, so there's a good platform there already. I think ultimately Flanagan's downfall was playing too conservatively, so good to hear he's an attack-minded coach. With the Faithful Fields opening soon with what looks like top class facilities from the pictures I've seen, hopefully this could be the start of a rise in Offaly's football stock. I've been saying to people outside the county that this is an ideal project for an ambitious, up and coming manager, so hopefully all parties will benefit from this appointment.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

substandard wrote:Wishing the man and his backroom team the best of luck. I think there's a good squad available, and talented young players that, if looked after, can make real progress in the next couple of years. Under Flanagan's reign I think good progress was made re s/c, so there's a good platform there already. I think ultimately Flanagan's downfall was playing too conservatively, so good to hear he's an attack-minded coach. With the Faithful Fields opening soon with what looks like top class facilities from the pictures I've seen, hopefully this could be the start of a rise in Offaly's football stock. I've been saying to people outside the county that this is an ideal project for an ambitious, up and coming manager, so hopefully all parties will benefit from this appointment.
Hopefully Stephen can get everyone on board, develop the team, and push on. He could unearth a few players that mightn't have got a chance previously.
Good Luck