Offaly GAA - in Crisis

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis?

Post by LooseCannon »

Football and Hurling Boards. Opinions??
Good Luck

Looktothefuture
Junior B
Club: Tuber

Post by Looktothefuture »

Lad this line of chat is about the county board as whole having different forum will prove pointless as this is a problem for both codes #countyboard

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'm not having a go at you, Cannon, but old age at the top table isn't the biggest impediment to progress. I can think of a few who would be quite a bit away from the old age pension yet. I recall Ger Killally running for the Dáil on the grounds if being young. He couldn't tell the difference between a waltz and a jive in a Sindo interview and the same paper concluding you'd be better off voting for an ould fella who'd know a waltz from a jive.

Other hand, age does not impede (for example) Ned Quinn driving Kilkenny to perennial improvement.

A change in the voting system would require a 2/3 majority. Anyway, a Convention vote where there are multiple candidates for a single position continues with the elimination of the lowest candidates until a candidate receives one half plus one of the votes cast. It's not quite the STV (single transferable vote) we have for a Dáil election, but it effectively is the same thing.
LooseCannon wrote:If every club sends a young energetic person to a convention where they speak on various matters in relation to both club and county teams in tullamore. People may then put their names foward for election to various roles. With a transfer vote system.

Also, opinions on separate boards for Football and Hurling.???
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think it's fair to say that neither football nor hurling is being well served by our administration at the moment, with different crises on both fronts.

I personally don't believe that you want different boards for both sports because we aren't big enough to effectively split in two, as is very much the case in Galway and to a lesser degree, Cork. Anyway, given that we don't have enough people to fill one management committee, I don't see where we'd get enough to fill two.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

One of these years, Towerus, one of these years. Probably not this one.
Towerus wrote:Maybe, just maybe, one of these years some of this anger will last long enough and run deep enough to actually make changes come Convention time. But I won't hold my breath.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote:I think it's fair to say that neither football nor hurling is being well served by our administration at the moment, with different crises on both fronts.

I personally don't believe that you want different boards for both sports because we aren't big enough to effectively split in two, as is very much the case in Galway and to a lesser degree, Cork. Anyway, given that we don't have enough people to fill one management committee, I don't see where we'd get enough to fill two.
I was by no means suggesting it, just getting opinions, although I would hold a similar view to yourself
Good Luck

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Just for the avoidance of doubt, but isn't it the Implementation Committee that has resigned? The Review committee is a different group who are reviewing the hurling team managements and whose work remains unaffected.
substandard wrote:Just seen on facebook the hurling review committee have resigned en masse. This, and Pat Flanagan's interview: GUB rather than GUBU, although the scale and proximity of these revelations may indeed be unprecedented. I would have always made allowances for people on the board given that I would not know very much about the mechanisms or constraints of a functioning board, and there is no way I'd be able to do that kind of work, but this has truly been a turbulent week.
And it's not over yet...
This is exactly why I'd be a waste of space in a meeting room; I can't remember which I read, and wasn't aware of the difference in the first place!
Towerus wrote:Maybe, just maybe, one of these years some of this anger will last long enough and run deep enough to actually make changes come Convention time. But I won't hold my breath.
This is also a strong possibility, I'd say: storm in a teacup, circle the wagons and the whole thing will blow over is probably the prevailing attitude within the board. Club action will take over, and the anger and frustration will dissipate. Manager(s) will be appointed with suitable delays and maybe bits of controversy in the backend, but then it'll be Christmas, and before the turkey has settled, it'll be O Byrne Cup time, and then Walsh Cup, and given the human condition, we'll all be optimistic all over again- or at least hoping against hope...
What's another year?
(unless you're a player, in which case it's possibly10% of your career).

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Learned how to quote this evening- great moment for the parish!!
Speaking of quotes, this one from Douglas Adams- I've often used it in political discussions, but I think it is apt for county boards also: "You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford. "It is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

For the first time I think I have heard the first soundings of a blanket refusal of all county players making themselves available in 2018.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

private joker wrote:For the first time I think I have heard the first soundings of a blanket refusal of all county players making themselves available in 2018.
Footballers or hurlers? If it is the footballers, then that doesn't exactly tally with the review group's notion of having sounded out the players before making their recommendation. And it would be odd for hurlers to take a stand on something that largely affects underage teams, albeit an issue that has far bigger long term ramifications.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Heard it from 2 hurling players who are unhappy with the reasons why the last mgt team went. Lack of backing basically. Probably no more than idle talk.

Looktothefuture
Junior B

Now that the CB and Tommy Byrne have rode out the storm what next. Byrne when secretary tried to get Banty in 3 years ago insted of Flanagan and when that failed he wanted Paul Curren parachuted in after the decision was made to give Flanagan the job. So whats the betting he has been working behind Flanagans back to instal Curren now he is head Of The ship. Watch this space.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Looktothefuture wrote:Now that the CB and Tommy Byrne have rode out the storm what next. Byrne when secretary tried to get Banty in 3 years ago insted of Flanagan and when that failed he wanted Paul Curren parachuted in after the decision was made to give Flanagan the job. So whats the betting he has been working behind Flanagans back to instal Curren now he is head Of The ship. Watch this space.
SO Byrne had it in for Flanagan from the start and here me thinking Danny Owens was the only one that Byrne and cb didnt love.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Perhaps the CB have had it in for Flanagan. Perhaps Byrne has been out to get Flanagan. Or perhaps Flanagan is being replaced because:

1. A large number of panel feel that change is needed as the current set up has gone flat. Players not happy with the negative tactics.
2. The mind boggling negativity in the 2nd half V Westmeath in Tullamore. After that its hard for any honest observer to have argue that this management team can take the team any further.
3. The largest defeat (the Armagh game) in 117 years of intercounty football. Yes a once off but it still happened under Flanagans watch.
4. Management have been unable to improve the very poor and very costly on field discipline problems.
5. The Darbys, Niall Mc and Mulhall are nearing the end, but a new set up might convince these lads to stay on.

I'd no problem with Pat and was excited early on but he has fallen into the negative football trap. That style has a time and a place but unfortunately he got bogged down too often in it. I'm glad it has happened in July and that they are actively seeking a replacement that hopefully will see the last few rounds of the championships and the knockout stages. At least its not been left until October. Of course the CB has a habit of screwing these things up so I'll not be holding my breath.

Looktothefuture
Junior B

I'm sick hearing about the negative tactics in the second half Of The first westmeath game... I was behind The offaly dug out Flanagan was purple shouting push forward and how can you blame management for Anton Sullivans stupidity and Mickey Brazil taking the head of an opposing player.. Players need to stand accountable anyway that's not the point Flanagan is gone the point is is he gone for the right reason if the county board are trying to get friends jobs shouldnt it be noted.. Let's not forget who put this review board together and who was leading it up.