Offaly vs. Waterford 2017 Hurling Qualifier

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs. Waterford 2017 Hurling Qualifier

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Teams named:

Offaly
James Dempsey - Kinnitty
Ben Conneely - St Rynaghs
Dermot Shortt - St Rynaghs
Pat Camon - St Rynaghs
Sean Gardiner - Lusmagh
Aiden Treacy - St Rynaghs
David King - Coolderry
Sean Ryan - Birr
Joe Bergin - Seir Kieran
Paddy Murphy - Ballinamere
Shane Kinsella - Kinnitty
Emmett Nolan - Birr
James Mulrooney - Seir Kieran
Shane Dooley - Tullamore
Oisin Kelly - Belmont

Waterford
Stephen O’Keeffe - Ballygunner
Shane Fives - Tourin
Barry Coughlan - Ballygunner
Noel Connors - Passage
Tadhg de Burca - Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
Austin Gleeson - Mount Sion
Philip Mahony - Ballygunner
Jamie Barron - Fourmilewater
Conor Gleeson - Fourmilewater
Kevin Moran - De La Salle
Pauric Mahony - Ballygunner
Maurice Shanahan - Lismore
Shane Bennett - Ballysaggart
Michael Walsh - Stradbally
Darragh Fives - Tourin

donfanny2
Junior C

Re: Offaly vs. Waterford 2017 Hurling Qualifier

Post by donfanny2 »

Goodnight Irene

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of luck to the manager and players today.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Men against boys.
Offaly simply too slight and physically not able to cope.
James Dempsey is a class act.
Best goalie along with the KK goalie in the country

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Shocking absolutely shocking bad

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

kingscounty wrote:Shocking absolutely shocking bad
I agree but as Brian Carroll said Kevin Ryan statement during the week that Offaly needed to avoid a hammering and todays game plan was stupid .
Surely even county board can see that Kevin Ryan must go quickly .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Change manager? What difference would that make.
Brian Carroll made a couple of points. 21s and seniors should train together. 21s and fringe seniors into intermediate competition. Potential Development squad mentors to get expenses.
My own opinion , Long term offaly clubs need to wake up. Player development is sorely lacking in the club scene.

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

When a manager goes public in the week before the game saying he hopes we are not hammered then there is obviously a real issue. To follow that up with a team selection that employs three sweepers then there have to be real issues about this individual's credentials to manage any team, never mind Offaly senior hurlers.

The players, if they were to do as they were instructed by management, had no chance of performing to their optimum. Antrim and Tyrone were happy to see the back of the current Offaly senior manager....and I think we should also be glad to to see the back of him.

Give the job to Brian Carroll....he knows the players, he has the respect of both the players and the supporters, he is passionate and ambitious for Offaly hurling.....and give him some time to get settled into the job. If the current manager hangs around we are going to be playing championship hurling in the lower competitions against the like of Antrim and, ultimately, Tyrone!!!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

The shambolical managerial appointments by the county board over the last 10-15yrs have us in the mess we're in. Who the hell would want the job now?? Last two games we set up with 2-3 sweepers and still conceded 1-68! Only for the brilliance of James Dempsey that scorelone could have been a lot worse. He has been without doubt our best performer over the last three game, definitely deserves an all star nomination but won't get it! Clubs need to take a serious look at themselves, no encouragement to get the best players involved in the county set up. Too many players out there tipping away with there club when they could be offering something to the county. The two previous captains aren't even on the panel, joke! Only 3 lads started today that played in 2013 against Waterford, that's a huge turnover of players. Fair play to the likes of Dempsey, Ryan, Bergin and Dooley for sticking it with it when it could be so easy to walk away. With the right structures in place the potential of bringing on some of those talented young lads is definitely there. Stick with it lads.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

sam88885a wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Shocking absolutely shocking bad
I agree but as Brian Carroll said Kevin Ryan statement during the week that Offaly needed to avoid a hammering and todays game plan was stupid .
Surely even county board can see that Kevin Ryan must go quickly .
Im hearing Ryan is well in with the board and cost a lot less than the going rate. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a new contract.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kevin Ryan is going no where. At least two more years.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Just saw a tweet from Laois GAA congratulating their u15 hurlers beating Offaly today- A 6-19 to 2-6, B 2-16 to 11. Club first. Primary school augments. Secondary school develop further. Development squads...develop. County minor, county u20, county senior.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I'd imagine every one of those links could be improved. I don't know a whole lot about the Hurling Pathway plan, but I do know a massive amount of work would need to be done to arrest the slide. Last year's u16s performed well, then there's controversy over management, and then they fall back at 17s.
But relying on one good team turning up every so often is wrong: the lesser teams should get more attention, not less, than a perceived superior team. And even then, it should be about consistency.
There may well be mitigating circumstances behind these results today, and I have no doubt there are good, hard-working, ambitious lads involved. Drawing attention to these results is not a swipe at them. It's just that, coupled with the senior result, the scale of resuscitating Offaly hurling is big-ish.
Back to the chain. Where can improvements be made? Immediately in clubs. In September, schools. Better players along the chain make for better teams. Doubtless there are many in your clubs working hard. But are they working smart? The Amish are very hard-working, but I wouldn't get them in to do the silage.
A hobby horse of mine a long time has been to broaden the scope of development squads, especially regarding s/c guidelines. If it's good or best practice for elite players, then surely to God if it was adopted by clubs grouped by region, instead of the best 3 or 4 13, 14, 15 and 16 year olds in your club benefiting, how about all of them? They could be overseen and supervised by experts, and every team mentor would learn and benefit. The elite players would still be elite, but would be able to operate at a higher level again in the development squads. The club game would improve, the schools likewise, and the beauty of it would be it would be standardised, measurable, cost-effective, and clubs would still have autonomy over their own training, but with the security of knowing that they had measurable goals rather than ad hoc judgements on fitness. Perform skills at a higher level and intensity. Players would be more likely retained because they would know that they are working as well as any other club, and crucially that they were working better than neighbouring clubs and schools in other counties.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Worrying so so worrying....

I am not calling for every manager to be sacked, but the county board have sold out on offaly senior players over the last 10 years with there appointmenta of managers, the county hurling set up was always going in the wrong direction but by god the CB made it alot worse with who they put in there as managers.
No ambition to go out and get someone who wanted to do things right, simply because they knew it would cost a lot of money and might paint them in a bad picture to the public when they couldn't afford to pay for it.
For him to come out that way earlier in the week and say that ad then play sweepers is bad enough...but then the result just shows how silly the system is....Waterford were vunrable going into that game today and we didn't bother our hole to go and meet them head on.
We are a joke and it will get so much worse before it gets better.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As disappointing as the Senior result was, this news is worse. The future looks so, so bleak. There really is no hope.
substandard wrote:Just saw a tweet from Laois GAA congratulating their u15 hurlers beating Offaly today- A 6-19 to 2-6, B 2-16 to 11.
And I love this line. Thank you substandard.
substandard wrote: The Amish are very hard-working, but I wouldn't get them in to do the silage.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I was born in '82 and for a 20 year period Offaly teams in football but more so Hurling shaped my childhood and gave me a great sense of pride and passion. From the age of 4 , I was brought to nearly every game in both codes, we were well beaten and had bad days but on any given day we could beat the best of them. By following Offaly in those days I felt I belonged to a great county, a county that was punching about its weight every single time we took to the field but a county that could deliver a knockout blow at anytime. In the past 15 years we are the ones receiving knockouts time after time, kids have no winning mentality to look up to. Your manager talks to the press about hoping we don't get hammered a week before a game !! If I was a kid in Offaly this type of negative talk would only encourage me to look at a different sport. Yes I was spoiled with the teams we had winning all irelands and Leinsters , but when we lost games heavily it wasn't for the lack of belief from players and management. Imagine going into training and your manager was on radio after hoping you won't be hammered, how would you expect to get 30 ready for a game after that. Il never give up on my county, I learnt my trade as a hurler in school and for me when you hit 5-6 years of age that is where money should be spent. Every day hurl in hand in school that's the way I got it and that's the passion and love I still have today for it.