Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by sam88885a »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ah, here.

The U21 management did not select the Senior panel, and Kevin Ryan’s interview does not back up your claim. For the avoidance of doubt, Kevin Ryan in the radio interview said “. . . had a serious input from the U21 management in the picking a panel”. This is correct.

It is a matter of fact that the U21 management were consulted regarding hurlers who were on 2016’s U21 panel. I should also point out that there is nothing wrong with the U21 management being consulted. But following that consultation with the U21 management, the Senior management selected the Senior panel.

I see you are continuing to make it up as you go along, and this time unashamedly so. Up to yourself, you have no credibility here anyway. But I would also point out that you are causing offence to some individuals (not me, I hasten to add) who do not post here, with your incorrect assertion that the U21 management selected the Senior panel. This is why I am being steadfast with this key point.
Toxicity234 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ke ... ng-manager
Here the interview.
Ryan states that he watch the County Final Video and Rynagh's vs the Wexford Champions.
At 12.14 in the interview he states that the U21 mangement had a large input into picking the Panel.

So last Sunday the list of players that Ryan had seen hurler for there club in 2016 was Ben Connelly, Aidan Treacy and Pat Camon.
Unless Ryan picking name out of a hat the rest HAD(unless there someone else pick the panel and Ryan forgot to state it ) to be pick by the u21 management cause Ryan hadn't seen them play. Flynn and Lockwell Knowledge of Offaly Club hurling would be Short I believe.
Sean Ryan he seen on video, that it.

I don't know much about the Drumcullen Holy Ghost. But it look like Mystic Meg is still working in Lusmagh.

Congrats to Conor It's January lads and congrats to Joachim Kelly on the Hall of Fame, everyone know he a legend.
POTH u say they senior managment selected the panel after input from the u21 managment so If G Cahill and J Dooley were not on board at that stage ,are u telling us that Kevin Ryan G Longwood and P Flynn picked the panel??
Plain of the herbs u might tells us who picked the panel because u seem to know.
I think whoever picked it did a decent job so well done and im sorry POTH if offence was caused as u say .
Yes its frustrating as Eamon Kelly said last year that we have been unable to get the leaders in the big clubs to come on board again this year but there are decent young lads in there at least this year .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

After a 19 point loss to Galway ,i think Kevin Ryan tactics of 2 sweepers was a failure as we only scored 1 goal and a couple of point from play .
Can anyone tell me is Paul Flynn working as a forward coach and is there an Ulster rugby guy coaching too ?????
I understand what Ryan was trying but neither Kinsella or Murphy are defender and all we did was invite galway wing back to pick off point from distance .
I think we needed to be braver and push up on Galway wing back , take them on and have a go ,we may have leaked a few goals but at least we would have trying to win rather than keep down the score .
Tox u said after K Ryan was appointed that we would end up playing a defensive system like Waterford and thats what happened.
That system failed Waterford too at the weekend ,Cork are a joy to watch great team play attacking and expressing themselves ,such a change from their last year .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Push up and goals go flying in. 19 point defeat turns into a 30 point defeat.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

private joker wrote:Push up and goals go flying in. 19 point defeat turns into a 30 point defeat.
This is it. Offaly had conceded 6 goals to Galway in the league and 8 to Tipperary in a recent challenge.
Galway's 33 scores might well have been 6-27 instead of 0-33 without some sort of mitigation.
It's not as if Offaly would have shot the lights out with a more attacking set up.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
private joker wrote:Push up and goals go flying in. 19 point defeat turns into a 30 point defeat.
This is it. Offaly had conceded 6 goals to Galway in the league and 8 to Tipperary in a recent challenge.
Galway's 33 scores might well have been 6-27 instead of 0-33 without some sort of mitigation.
It's not as if Offaly would have shot the lights out with a more attacking set up.
I take ur point but what im saying is when yer too defensive or attack suffers .I dont think K Ryan got that ballence right last sunday
Any team that has S Dooley J Bergin and O Kelly should not be afraid to have a go in my opinion.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

But you can't strike a balance when the opposing players on the Galway and offaly teams are imbalanced. Galway have better hurlers. So striking a balance cannot be achieved to such an extent that the scoreline will change from a defeat to a victory.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

private joker wrote:But you can't strike a balance when the opposing players on the Galway and offaly teams are imbalanced. Galway have better hurlers. So striking a balance cannot be achieved to such an extent that the scoreline will change from a defeat to a victory.
Galway have great hurlers that why i think its madness to sit back invite them on .Unlike us their wing back and midfield can score from distance {outside the sweeper}.Apart from C Doughan and C Kiely that outside most our lads range .
I disappointed with K Ryan because we are in still in decline under his watch ,we lost to Wexford Limerick Galway and Tipp in the league and should have lost to westmeath but for their keeper gifting us 3 goals and galway hammered us in the championship.
The worry is K Ryan is talking about next year ,will we have J Bergin S Dooley next year?? We need a preformance to give these lads a reason to keep going in my opinion.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly are in decline for last 13 years. A manager at the top, with the senior team is not going to halt the decline. The production of talented hurler is the only way the decline will stop.

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

sam88885a wrote:
private joker wrote:But you can't strike a balance when the opposing players on the Galway and offaly teams are imbalanced. Galway have better hurlers. So striking a balance cannot be achieved to such an extent that the scoreline will change from a defeat to a victory.
Galway have great hurlers that why i think its madness to sit back invite them on .Unlike us their wing back and midfield can score from distance {outside the sweeper}.Apart from C Doughan and C Kiely that outside most our lads range .
I disappointed with K Ryan because we are in still in decline under his watch ,we lost to Wexford Limerick Galway and Tipp in the league and should have lost to westmeath but for their keeper gifting us 3 goals and galway hammered us in the championship.
The worry is K Ryan is talking about next year ,will we have J Bergin S Dooley next year?? We need a preformance to give these lads a reason to keep going in my opinion.
Cillian Kiely is no longer with the panel

sam88885a
All Star

Re: Offaly v Waterford

Post by sam88885a »

3 change for saturday P Camon A Tracy and J Mulrooney in for E Grogan P Guinan and S Cleary .
Decent looking team only worry is K Ryan remarks that we need to avoid a hammering ,surely we need to try to win.
Even if he think that beyond us right now surely he shouldnt public say it ,i dont think it will help confidence that is all ready on the floor .
This could easily S Dooley and J Bergin last game so have a go lads.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Mrbrightside wrote:
sam88885a wrote:
Why is Cillian no longer on the panel?. We need young talented players like Cillian, we are not exactly over flowing with options at present.

Towerus
Junior B

Post by Towerus »

Maybe so, but it's frustrating to see players of the calibre of Dooley and Bergin (and any of the others on their day), being closed off because we've pushed not one, but two, back to play as sweepers. We might not have much to be positive about at present, but do we really have to play such a negative game?

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i agree such a negative game plan turn supporters and players off .
It Bullshite anyway cork did it last year and they were awyfull ,this year cork are playing a real positive type of hurling and their flying .
Attack is the best way of defending in my view .

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

Mrbrightside wrote:
sam88885a wrote:
Why is Cillian no longer on the panel?. We need young talented players like Cillian, we are not exactly over flowing with options at present.[/quote]
Kiely told management the week of Galway match he would be unavailable as he was going on holidays.. along with being very little notice for management, it also transpired that this "holiday" was in fact going to a rally in Donegal

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

sam88885a wrote:i agree such a negative game plan turn supporters and players off .
It Bullshite anyway cork did it last year and they were awyfull ,this year cork are playing a real positive type of hurling and their flying .
Attack is the best way of defending in my view .
Offaly don't remotely have the same quality of player that cork do. Cork won the minor final today by 17 points.
They won every u underage competition last year from 14 up. There's a red wave coming.