Footballers embarrassing

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hard2watch
Junior A

Footballers embarrassing

Post by hard2watch »

I'm sick of people trying to defend how our footballers have played the past few years,it's disgraceful and above all its the county boards fault for the way the have set up the senior championship.its the same 4 teams every year...Rhode,Edenderry,Clara and Tullamore.these four teams have so poor of competition they actually rate themselves better than they are.everyone I speak too wants the parish rule reintroduced except for old farts from these four clubs who say "we don't need to join with another club"..well look at the county teams results and tell me your happy with the way things are going.are you saying Bracknagh,Walsh Island and Clonbullogue wouldn't make a decent senior team..Ballycumber and Clara?the St Vincents underage clubs together at senior etc..Time to cop on lads

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Footballers embarrassing

Post by Lone Shark »

There's a lot of gibberish crammed into five lines there, so there's no point trying to address it all, but fundamentally, but it boils down to this. A club is more than the footballers that take the field - it is the volunteers that put their time in each week keeping things going, it is the stalwarts who get stuck into fundraising paying the bills, and it is everybody in that area who is interested enough to pay their membership and be part of it. And if a club that represents something less than a whole parish wants to stand alone and retain their own identity, it's completely wrong for people outside their area to come in and tell them what to do. If, as happened with Killeigh and Killurin, clubs want to amalgamate and their own membership votes to do so, then of course that should be supported. But if not, then that's their own prerogative.

Aside from that, I don't see how amalgamating would make a huge amount of difference. Yeah, a combined St. Broughans parish team would be strong - but remember that suddenly Rhode would also be able to pick from the Croghan area, Edenderry would have Ballyfore lads, and Tullamore could take their pick from Durrow. The strong would only get stronger too.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

brownie
Junior A

Post by brownie »

we created our own hardship this year. last year we had a club championship that didn't start till the end of july so the offaly management had a clear run with no distractions for the players. this year the clubs decided that this format needed to be changed and the offaly management lost the month of april in preparation for the Westmeath game due to 2 rounds of the club championship and 1 rd of league. Westmeath on the other hand, took the offaly 2016 idea and put all their championship games back to the end of july. they played their league games in the meantime and are down to the league final stage. we are just finalising our leagues into knock out stages. there is no point getting into a county board v management v clubs discussion. we need some one with a level head to fix a format that gives our county team a chance to prepare properly , our club players games in the meantime and not create a fixture pile up when the county teams are out.
last year was the best format we have had in years and it was proven by the ferbane and gracefield break through on the big 4 and offaly putting in decent championship performances.
we are going backwards and if the clubs rule the roost , we will never look forward.
this year , there has been no master plan sent out. club players and management are trying to guess when games will be played and cannot plan challenge games or holidays. this is wrong but the county board are saying the clubs caused this problem.
we need to set up a football committee that can look at the better performing counties and see what works for them but ultimately we all need to be open to change.

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

Loneshark you are exactly the type of personI'm talking about.who brought the community into it and all the do Gooders which everyclub has?I'm talking about strengthening our county football team by introducing 11 parishes into it.they will all be strong and Rhode surprised as you may seem won't walk through it like they do every year.the smaller clubs still play their intermediate and junior like normal but Rhode would gain cian Donaghoe for example.raheen and Gracefield would be a decent outfit combined.what you are really gettingis games crowds would come to watch where anything from 4 to 5 clubs are involved in each game,the standard I guarantee would be higher and the main thing is our county players are competing at a higher level of club football.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

(1) If it wasn't for all those "do gooders" as you put it, we wouldn't have any clubs. I don't know the first thing about you but I'm already pretty confident that you're not shifting a bunch of lotto tickets or helping out with the under-12 training. You'll always have players - these are the people that keep clubs alive.

(2) It's not a zero sum game - if Cian Donohoe is training with a Rhode parish team, as well as playing for Offaly, St Brigids will barely see him. Of course that'll hurt them. Now maybe that price is worth paying, but again, it's for the clubs as a whole to decide whether that's the case or not.

(3) I wouldn't expect you to know this, but this has been done before, in Offaly. It has been tried, and failed. What hasn't been tried is a proper divisional system, but again, you still need buy in from clubs, because that has to be funded and supported.

(4) To use that example - Gracefield (and Clara) would still be on their own. Raheen would be joined with Clodiagh Gaels and Ballinagar, while clubs like Shannonbridge, Shamrocks and Tubber, all of whom are not senior now, would still be excluded.

(5) How does this work with hurling - do we do the same? Are we now asking a lad from somewhere like Ballinamere to play with four adult teams, not including county? How in the name of God do you put together a fixture list that caters for them?

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

I don't care about hurling that's not my priority im here to try and help the offaly footballers.you say this was tried years ago and I rememberlone shark so don't play me for a fool.i played a hell of alot more county football than you.the format they used before was a shambles.you say tubber would play on their own..well they wouldn't because they would be apart of the Clara setup.now just to clarify my case these teams don't have to play as Rhode,Clara,edenderry etc.its more of an independent team created to for the best possible senior championship in offaly.you will find them extra few lads who are missing at the minute and push on the lads who are stuck in first gear in the current system due to the lack of strong teams.all this should be played before the first round ofthe leinster and after offaly are knocked out every club goes back to their respective championships.ive a big issue with a senior B championship in offaly.its an insult of a championship.nobody takes a player serious if they say they play senior B,it's a meaningless and degrading to say the are nearly senior..it needs to be scrapped.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

hard2watch wrote:I don't care about hurling that's not my priority im here to try and help the offaly footballers.you say this was tried years ago and I rememberlone shark so don't play me for a fool.i played a hell of alot more county football than you.the format they used before was a shambles.you say tubber would play on their own..well they wouldn't because they would be apart of the Clara setup.now just to clarify my case these teams don't have to play as Rhode,Clara,edenderry etc.its more of an independent team created to for the best possible senior championship in offaly.you will find them extra few lads who are missing at the minute and push on the lads who are stuck in first gear in the current system due to the lack of strong teams.all this should be played before the first round ofthe leinster and after offaly are knocked out every club goes back to their respective championships.ive a big issue with a senior B championship in offaly.its an insult of a championship.nobody takes a player serious if they say they play senior B,it's a meaningless and degrading to say the are nearly senior..it needs to be scrapped.
I think Tubber and Clara are separate parishes, they would have to amalgamate if they wanted to put out a combined team.
Re the football championship, I don't agree with playing senior finals in October. Offaly are out of the championships by June/July in recent years. We postponed the scheduled round of senior football games on weekend of 6th/7th May, 5 weeks ahead of the Westmeath game. What good did it do on the day? I would prefer to see games played off quickly, with a September final in both football and hurling.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

hard2watch wrote:I don't care about hurling that's not my priority im here to try and help the offaly footballers.
You mightn't care about it, but lots of people in Offaly do - and I don't see how Offaly football would be helped by putting in a system that would be ferociously resisted by everyone west of Daingean. Anything you do in Offaly has to take cognisance of the fact that everything between Cappincur and Doon and right down as far as Mountbolus is effectively dual player country.
hard2watch wrote:you say this was tried years ago and I rememberlone shark so don't play me for a fool.i played a hell of alot more county football than you.the format they used before was a shambles.you say tubber would play on their own..well they wouldn't because they would be apart of the Clara setup.now just to clarify my case these teams don't have to play as Rhode,Clara,edenderry etc.its more of an independent team created to for the best possible senior championship in offaly.
It wouldn't be hard to have played more county football than me, but that's not the point. They brought this system in before, and it didn't work - now if you say what was done before was a shambles, can you tell me why playing one Leamonaghan team with Doon/Erin Rovers/Ballycumber was a shambles before, but would work now? What would be the difference?

And when you say parish teams, and Tubber is half of a parish with the other half in Westmeath, can you blame me for not being able to read your mind? Maybe you should also clarify who players from Birr/KK/Shannonbridge/Drumcullen/Lusmagh should play with, since these are all football teams from a full parish?

Moreover, this was done before in lots of counties, and it only works in places like Cork and Kerry, where there are long established divisions that are made up of anything from 7 to 25 clubs. Why would what you're suggesting work in Offaly when it failed in Laois, in Mayo, in Roscommon, in Longford, I could go on...........
hard2watch wrote:.you will find them extra few lads who are missing at the minute and push on the lads who are stuck in first gear in the current system due to the lack of strong teams.all this should be played before the first round ofthe leinster and after offaly are knocked out every club goes back to their respective championships.
Ah here - there's usually about a three week window in between the end of the National League and the start of the championships, and you think that we'd fit a whole competition in there, never mind training and preparation for it?

hard2watch wrote:.ive a big issue with a senior B championship in offaly.its an insult of a championship.nobody takes a player serious if they say they play senior B,it's a meaningless and degrading to say the are nearly senior..it needs to be scrapped.
All I'll say here is that this attitude says a lot more about you than it does about footballers in the Senior B championship.