A chance for atonement - Westmeath v Offaly, Leinster SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
johnb1988
Junior C
Club: NA

Re: A chance for atonement - Westmeath v Offaly, Leinster SH

Post by johnb1988 »

I think its important to not go on about this too much, it has been written, its out there and there is nothing anyone can do now. If Westmeath use it pre game then good luck to them. If a team needs this as a source of motivation then they aren't fully in a great place and believing in themselves to go win the game.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this is because I want to get back to the game:

I know we played Dublin in a challenge, any idea if there have been any other games? Or whats the team shaping up to be?

I really hope the support is there for the boys on Saturday night and that it isn't just a few, its shaping up to be an epic encounter due to rivalry and whats at stake so I just hope we are there in good numbers

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It did, but it retained an online web page. There was minimal activity since the paper ceased publication but there has been an increase in content in recent weeks. Many sports and news articles are written by someone called Justin Kelly. The offending article is under a nom de plume.
SearingDrive wrote:I thought the Offaly Express ceased 5 or6 years ago.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm just back from Trim where Westmeath U21s had a comfortable win over Meath. Ciarán Doyle finished a good goal after around 10 seconds and shortly after, an underhit shot from 50 metres by Killian Doyle was spilled over the line by the Meath goalkeeper.

Of the Seniors, Conor Shaw was sound at full-back, Niall Mitchell was taken off after around 15 minutes when Westmeath led 2-2 to 0-2. Darragh Egerton was prominent while Darragh Clinton seemed out of form. But Killian Doyle was classy. A classy forward, he picked several fine scores off left and right, while also hitting as many wides. Read the game well from centre half-forward too, in that the ball always seemed to find its way to him.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Pure rubbish on that article .
Westmeath have made huge strides in recent years at underage level and last years win was deserved rewards for a county that put the work in .
Was it Clonkill that knocked Cooldery out of the club championship in 2010 and Ratharney gave KK their fill of it in 2014 so 2016 was no surprise.
This years game will be won on the field and i think Offaly are in a much better place than last year but 14 point defeat last year shows we will need to be much better.
We have been a real mess since 2013 ,i feel this young team have a good spirit and Kevin Ryan has their back.
Offaly were terrible last year against Westmeath ,not taking anything away from westmeath ,saturday is a chance of atonement of those guys

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Firstly I going to start with an apologize to Kevin Ryan. When Ryan was appointed i took him apart. His time up north was terrible.
What the players i talk to, said wasn't good but in fairness to Mr. Ryan he done a lot better that predicted.
The team has improved almost everyday they taking the field but still the only win was against Kerry.

This is the Big stuff. What every motivation Westmeath If it an Article written or lack of credit from they display for last time that up to themselves. Offaly shouldn't Care. The only thing we should care about is getting the best our of our players.

The team set up has improved over the last few months.
Going into the Westmeath game last time i was worried. very Worried cause i thought we were mental all over the place.
This time my only worry about taking Westmeath a bit for granted. which after last time i hope we don't.

Looking forward to Saturday. Let hit Westmeath Hard, Early and drive on. Lets give Westmeath nothing to hang on to.
No Mercy whatsoever. If we get the chance buried them, Take it.
“Common sense is not so common.”

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

however if you look at Westmeath teams from minor down to U14 for the last few years they seem to have slipped back behind Meath again at underage hurling
hurling in Meath is improving no end, driven on by the clubs in bigger towns eg Trim, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin
only the best...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Toxicity234 wrote:
Looking forward to Saturday. Let hit Westmeath Hard, Early and drive on. Lets give Westmeath nothing to hang on to.
No Mercy whatsoever. If we get the chance buried them, Take it.
Can't state it better.

Let's git 'em!!!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

johnb1988
Junior C
Club: NA

Post by johnb1988 »

This is really starting to bug me now, when are ye getting so hung up on Westmeath? Like seriously.. Who really gives a sh*t about what Westmeath are doing whether it be at senior, u21, minor and certainly anyone that cares about what they are doing at u14 then they need to realise they are on the wrong website. Go talk on the Westmeath fan page or whatever it is. I hadn't been on this in a while, but you look at the heading of the thread and I was excited to come in and read about the team and things from an OFFALY point of view and I actually went back to check if the thread was called "Westmeath, the greatest" or some sort of nonsense like that.

Toxicity has the right idea, we need to go and hit them hard, pull like there is no tomorrow and not worry about them in the slightest, if we go for a ball and they have to go off injured then so be it, we don't take any backwards steps, its time to show the hard work the lads have been doing and I hope we see the rewards tonight. I don't care one bit about Westmeath or anything they do, and it will be the same after tonight, I don't care about Galway or Dublin and nor should we. The only thing we can influence is ourselves so get our performance right and see how we go.

We can worry about Westmeath u14s in roughly 2025 if we get drawn against them so maybe set up a new thread if that chat is going to continue.

This is Offaly, Uibh Fhaili

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

J Demspey
B Connelly
C. Doughan
E Grogan
S Gardiner
D Shortt
S Ryan
D King
P Guinan
S Kinsella
S Dooley
P Geragerty
S Cleary
O Kelly
E Nolan

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Why are people getting hung up on Westmeath? Probably because, last time I checked, Offaly are hurling Westmeath later this evening. If Offaly were hurling Wexford we'd be discussing Conor McDonald, Lee Chin, David Redmond and Wexford's underage scene since the beginning of the decade. Ditto, it they were playing Dublin it'd be Liam Rushe, David Treacy's hamstrings and issues such as their recent U21 teams.

Sun Tzu was a Chinese general, military strategist, and author of The Art of War, an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy. On knowing your opposition in battle he wrote "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

While I'm at it, (and while I don't believe GAA lineouts which are announced beforehand but I think this one is credible) Westmeath have named Niall O'Brien in place of the suspended Derek McNicholas in an otherwise unchanged 15.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Not long home from a game that we scraped over the line even if it was entertaining. All things told, I felt we were very lucky and would go as far to say even that the best team lost. We were 5 down at half time and were very lucky to be so close. I thought the penalty was fairly fortuitous and thought the referee was fairly hard on Westmeath at times throughout the game.

Westmeath were in ascendancy throughout first half and had huge amount of bad wides. Our starting forwards, outside of Dooley and Kelly posed little threat.

The second half was interesting to say the least. We started it well but then let Westmeath back in to dominate until we came again at the death. Thought Shortt excellent throughout and Ben Conneely had better of his man. Felt Grogan was found out for pace but was tidy when he got on the ball. I felt that outside of Oisin Kelly, Shortt and Sean Ryan at times, Westmeath totally bossed the middle 8 positions and this for me would be a worry going into next game. they picked up a lot of breaks and if they were better technical hurlers, they'd have won the game no doubt in my opinion. The opposition the next day will be a lot more efficient and could run riot!

Thought Dooley looked on his game throughout and looked like he was at his ease at times and showed to be a good poacher when pouncing for much needed goals at the death.. Nolan's goal was outstanding and very timely when it came.

We needed to unload the bench and we did to mixed effect. Thought Bergin had a huge impact when introduced and without his contribution we'd have lost. Must start the next day! Young langton picked a nice point and looked silky but doesnt look like an inter county player in terms of physique just yet! Quirke was busy but didnt look fully fit. How management left Guinan on for 10 minutes after dropping with cramp was beyond me. I think we are in bit of bother fitness wise if lads are dropping with cramp with 20 minutes left V Westmeath.

While we missed another goal chance through Kelly, so did Westmeath when we had couple of good saves and solid goalkeeping by Dempsey who was excellent also I felt. All that said, we are in the next round and avoid the round robin next year which is crucial for our club game.
jimbob

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Funny. I've just finish the art of war for the 4 time. It was given to my a senior commander in the Chinese army when I travelling in mountains and the the village hotel room was taking by a government official and I had to share a small room with his, he was working as the official bodyguard. He didn't like much at the start but a few rice beers later we we're play basketball with kids and having great crack. Wonderful book.
My father in law who was special force in the polish army gave it to me again last Christmas as a thank you for reading the book he just wrote.
Back to the game. I thought Ryan pick the wrong team. We lacked physical strength in the middle of the park which let Westmeath into and them boss the game. That been said. Offaly 3 goal chances in the 1st 15 mins all which should have taking.
Not sure how Shane Dooley came out for the second half he was so poor in the 1st half. Sean Cleary as well. Peter gerarthy was really poor but at least he was getting out ahead of his man. Shane and Sean were standing behind there man, there men cleared so much ball Offaly were playing with 13 men and sill after 23 mins we were level. No issue with playing bad but the lack of trying I ready hate.
I thought the backs played well under huge pressure. Murphy added great present to the midfield. Offaly really need Shortt presents in the half back and a target man at full forward.
The Westmeath backs walked out with so much easy ball today it was a sin.
But the great thing is today was a 20 point improvement on last year.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Tox, you don't know how Dooley came out in second half?? Really? He scored 3-8, 2-3 from play. His free taking is brilliant and he's a goal poacher, what more do you want? And Tommy Doyle is a quality full back.

Anyway, my take on the game: Thank god for James Dempsey, once again he was superb. He's definitely up there in the top3 keepers in the country. He dealt brilliantly with some hairy ball dropping in on top of him in second half. Ben Connelly was my MOTM, he came out with ball time and time again, a real leader in that full back line - great to watch. As was said previously, the middle eight were all over the place in first half and we should have been 10pts down at half time if Westmeath had taken their chances. We needed Kiely and Murphy big presence out there.

It was great to see Bergin come back in and even though he lacked match practice I thought he did right well. Young Langton ran his socks off when he came on and you have to be impressed with his work rate. It was not pretty at times but very entertaining and well done to all involved. Great to see few young lads run onto field after match to congratulate their heros, pity there wasn't more at it! On to the next challenge....

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Couldn't make the game cause of work but listening on m103, Brian Carroll said Dooley got roasted and still came away with 3-8 and Doyle would get an All star for his display crazy game !!! Bergin seemed to be nervous and flapping at balls but tagged a point, no matter what it's a win. We were down for the whole game and pulled it off from somewhere, not pretty but a bit of fight in the lads. Take the win and bank it, Leinster semi is pay day.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Could not make Mullingar, domestic duties prevailed but great to hear of the WIN.

After the result from last year I was worried but fair play to all involved.....

From the impact off the bench I suspect there will be a few changes for the next game.

A big worry is hearing lads with cramp after 50 minutes... Still a bit to go with fitness levels and that can hardly be solved this year..