Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Offaly SHC

Post by Mrbrightside »

Lotss of talking points and questions after the first round of this years championship.

Firstly I'd like to extend my sympathies to the Geraghty, Meredith and bracken families on their loss.

Rynaghs3:10.. Belmont 13.. St rynaghs came through a scrappy and poor affair against a dogged Belmont side with Declan cookes refereeing display a major talking point. Aidan Treacy should have seen red for a wild pull with Colin Egan receiving his marching orders soon after for a second yellow with plenty of other questionable decisions being given both ways.. can rynaghs drive on and make it 2 in a row? And can Belmont finally drive on and fulfil their potential?

Kinnitty 2-19.. birr 1-15.. Kinnitty caused a minor shock with a 7 point win over birr thanks to 2 eoghan Callaghan goals.. birr looked off the pace while kinnitty played very well.. both Sean Ryan and paddy Delaney went off injured, I hope they are both ok.. with rumours of discontent in birr, could this loss to their close rivals cause more unrest? And can kinnitty make good of their talent and hunger and secure a favourable quarter final berth?

Lusmagh 21.. shamrocks 1-11.. 14 man lusmagh ease passed a poor shamrocks side in a comfortable display.. the lusmagh youngsters looked far better on the ball with some superb point taking on show while the mucklagh and Rahan men were lackklustre and lacked any cutting edge with a late goal adding gloss to scoreboard.. can lusmagh produce a shock in one of their remaining matches to stay senior? And can shamrocks overcome this vitally important match and somehow stay up?

Tullamore 4:16 clodiagh gaels 12.. a Shane Dooley led tullamore eased pass a clodiagh gaels side making their debut at this level to pick up 2 points of paramount importance to their cause.. clodiagh gaels with a healthy number of youngsters on show showed glimpses of magic but ultimately succumbed to a superior outfit.. can Shane Dooley lead the blues to safety? And can clodiagh gaels pick up a first senior win along their way?

Clareen 3-14.. shinrone 2-15.. a classy Clareen outfit led by their talisman Joe Bergin who is just back from a lengthy layoff, saw off a spirited shinrone, devoid of a number of key players due to injury to secure an important 2 points., 2 Clareen goals and one from shinrone in the opening 10 minutes left us in no doubt we were in for a good game.. Clareen slowly built up a sizeable gap and led by 5-6 points for most of the game before a late shinrone goal added some tension to the finish.. Can joe bergin and co make a push for Sean Robbins? And can Shinrone make up for last years collapse against kinnitty to effect this years championship?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I enjoyed reading those reports, Brightside. Thank you for posting.

I was at just one match myself, that being Lusmagh v Shamrocks.

The order of fixtures made it especially tough on Lusmagh, Shamrocks, Tullamore and Clodiagh Gaels. The two games between those were knockout fixtures, and it is virtually impossible for both losers, Shamrocks and Clodiagh Gael as it turned out, to reach the quarter-finals.

I was fierce impressed with the Lusmagh lads’ approach. They used the ball so well, they worked for each other, and some of their scores came at the end of passing moves where the ball was processed between four or five hands. They were at a numerical disadvantage for 45 or 50 minutes and yet I can recall just one occasion where a raking clearance was driven straight to Shamrocks’ spare defender. Lusmagh scrummed well (Leonard Ryan would have broken a record for being involved in rucks if someone kept a record of such things).

But most pleasing of all was the way they controlled the game and got to the ball first. They were able to dictate the play, and earned a number of frees by carrying the ball and taking the hits. Shamrocks may point to an imbalance in the number of frees, but he who is first to the ball generally does not do the fouling, and the proportion of frees awarded will generally be proportional to the ratio of possession.

Now, Lusmagh’s thoughtful use of possession was borne out of a certain necessity, though chances are they would have hurled like that anyway as they are comfortable with that. But it set me thinking – why can’t a style like that be promoted throughout Offaly? I know I’m comparing apples with oranges here as there is a world of difference between club and intercounty hurling (and any neutrals I spoke to afterwards were quick to point to what they felt was a mediocre standard of hurling), but it wouldn’t take a massive change in mindset to get to the ball first, to play middle-distance stickpasses, not to fire the ball away without looking, and to open up the inside forward line with diagonal balls to the corners.

But there should be a degree of sympathy for Shamrocks and Clodiagh Gaels who both find it is a year until next Sunday. A pity.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

Thanks Pat.. I didn't actually make that match but a good friend updated me.. Although I heard Lusmagh hurled well, I also believe they were up against a poor enough Shamrocks side.. you make a good argument for their style of hurling and it would be interesting to see., their next outing against birr will tell a lot about that young side .. (50,000th post :) )

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Got to a few games over the weekend...Clareen were probably the most impressive team I seen, they seemed to be flying it and should of had a poor shinrone team beaten well before the end of the game.

Banagher and Belmont was a poor affair very scrappy, Rynaghs are still moving well of course and would be favourites to win Sean Robbins again.

Birr were shocking Saturday evening.After 10 minutes you would think they were going to win by 20 poins, the unrest in the camp will need to be sorted sooner rather than later, they will have enough in the tank to beat lusmagh but if they want to win a county title they need everyone on the same page.

Clodoagh gaels are too weak for senior level and will be senior B next year after a big defeat to tullamore.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Seems like a very open championship

From what I am hearing/reading any of Rynaghs, Clareen, KK, Coolderry or Birr could win the championship without it being a shock.
Sounds even more competitive than Laois!

What is the unrest in Birr related to?

BadgerShagger
Junior C
Club: Doon

Post by BadgerShagger »

I had the chance to attend a few of these games myself this past weekend. Kinitty were particularly impressive against Birr, I was impressed with their movement in the forward line and high work rate. Just to correct mrbrightside, the second Kinnitty goal was not scored by E Calloghan, it went straight to the net without a touch and it was his OTT celebration that tricked everyone. Apart from that, I thought Coughlan was excellent, and E Cahill for Birr was terrific. The work rate of the kinnitty team just won out on the day.

Head for the gap
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

Post by Head for the gap »

Clodiagh gaels very poor against tullamore at the weekend. Can't see this team making the breakthrough at senior level at which they expected with all the winning underage teams. They may wait a few more years!!

bog sledger 84
Junior C
Club: cloghan

Post by bog sledger 84 »

There is a young man named Ryan Meegan. supposed to be a promising hurler. he has handed in a club transfer to join Belmont.

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

What club is this young Meegan from?

bog sledger 84
Junior C
Club: cloghan

Post by bog sledger 84 »

he played for Dublin minors on his first year. club castleknock. did his cruciate then and as far as I can gather is looking for a fresh start.

Head for the gap
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

Post by Head for the gap »

Oh yeah I heard about this young lad. A great prospect in Leinster anyways Can go a long way!! It will be brilliant to see him competing in the Offaly championship! Perfect pairing with Oisin Kelly up front with Meegan supplying the bells.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

[quote="Head for the gap"]Clodiagh gaels very poor against tullamore at the weekend. Can't see this team making the breakthrough at senior level at which they expected with all the winning underage teams. They may wait a few more years!![/quote

Clodiagh Gaels just came up from intermediate. They never said they were going to win the senior championship in 2017. In the first half they were the better side, but did not take their scoring chances. Tullamore's Shane Dooley was the difference between the teams, scoring 3 second half goals. 3 Tullamore goals came in a late five minute spell. The game was a lot closer than the score line would suggest to a casual reader.

Clodiagh Gaels had 2 current Offaly minor hurlers, and 4 from last year. The team are on a journey,and will know more about themselves after the championship. I think we have the basis of a good team in the next few years.
The more teams playing senior hurling in North Offaly the better for the county.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

I think KK will be hard to stop this year , Their age profile is good most lads in their mid to late 20s but St Rynagh have the monkey off their back now and should be a much more confident team this year. Clareen have real talent but have under preformed at the knockout stage each year ,only making one semi final .If Paul Murphy can get their heads right and get them to peak at the right end of the year they will be very close.
Birr always seem to make the semi at least even but are a very limited team and Coolderry are the old dog for the hard road , outside those 5 Belmont kinnity Shinrone are all young teams that are improving each year .Tullamore have Danny Owens as manager , they have a simple game plan which i think it will suit S Dooley so i think the could take a few scalps along the way .

I expect KK Cooldery Kinnity Birr St Rynagh and Clareen to make the quarter finals and a massive battle between Belmont Tullamore and Shinrone for the last 2 spots in the quarter finals.

Its important to all those to stay in senior A so every game matters but ill be surprised if Lusmagh Shamrock or Clodagh Gaels win any of their remaining games .

I think when St Rynagh and KK meet in the knockout stages the winner will go on to be win the county title .
I fancy kk ,to me the still have the best hurlers in the county .

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Sam it is no suprise to me that you fancy k/k I don't think you talk about any other topic other than k/k on this forum.

Why are Birr limited sam? They were in the county final last year and were just one point behind with 10 minutes to go.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

greenairfield wrote:Sam it is no suprise to me that you fancy k/k I don't think you talk about any other topic other than k/k on this forum.

Why are Birr limited sam? They were in the county final last year and were just one point behind with 10 minutes to go.
Its my opinion but Birr best players are the wrong side of 30 and the dont have impact subs like St Rynagh did last year .i think it will be close this year but if u look since 2010 Coolderry won 3 KK won 3 and St Rynagh won 1 , the age profile of St rynagh and KK is much better than Coolderry or Birr plus both had success at under age .
I think birr are a good team and the were in last year final with 10 minutes to go but the did not have the legs to go on and win it .