Hurling development squads [Split from Walsh Cup]

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Hurling development squads [Split from Walsh Cup]

Post by Kevin »

private joker wrote:The hurlers do not believe in strength work. The footballers do. Even if you lose at minor, as long as the world is done it will eventually pay at senior level. The hurlers are simply a law to themselves. You need both strength and skill to compete at County level hurlers turn their noses up at the thought of skill been equal to S & C.
Is the above really an accurate description of the attitude in our camp?

I am not in a position to know myself, but I was of the impression we were moving away from this 'old school' thinking.

The above describes the dark ages one would think.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hurlingtothebackbone
Junior B
Club: Birr

Post by Hurlingtothebackbone »

Guys lets put the record straight. The U15s and U16s from 2016 bought into strength and conditioning in a very big away and from speaking with 2 of the sacked mentors one from each squad the players continued to work on this at home - the breakdown came after their respective tournaments last autumn when there was a break. Both managements were requesting from last October to start back with S&C but coaching and games and the board would not give them the go ahead because back then they knew they were going to sack them or move them on, as a direct result there was no collective S&C done with these squads till Feb 2017 4 months valuable work down the drain, some lads continued to do what they had been doing at home but did not move to the net level because they did not know what the next level was.
In relation to questions asked on games and points made in relation to only been as good as laois and Westmeath - not so. The 15s played and beat every team they played last year Carlow Laois, Westmeath, Clare, Tipp, Wexford and only narrowly lost to Kilkenny in a thriller in Wexford 2 pt loss. The 16s also had wins against all of the above and only lost narrowly in the Arrabawn to the eventual winners and went on to win the shield well.
Let there be no doubt both squads were on the right road and winning was part of their mentality where winning breeds winning. Now look at what the dinosaurs have done put the two squads together where 16s will be exposed to bigger 17 year olds and possibly will start to suffer losses such as the 12 point defeat to Kilkenny in Kilkenny last Sunday week, in this new situation you now start to introduce losses and doubt into the minds and players loose the winning mentality. All in all a total mess where the choices made are going to have long term effects.
Another point we are now suppose to be in a new era where things are suppose to be professional in the whole squad set up quoted from M Cashin head of C&G on numerous occasions over the last number of weeks, yet a Birr parent who has 2 kids now on the 14 set up remarked today that one got picked without attending any of the 5 trials, I am also of the understanding from him a Shinrone player made the same squad without attending a single trial a fact I am trying to get clarified if I can get hold of a buddy in the Shinrone club. If this is the case then think of the mental damage this has done to to some of the 70 odd players who attended all the trials over the last 5 weeks and did not get a look in professional my ar.........
As long as the the dinosaurs remain in charge nothing will change in this County.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Great post Hurlingtothebackbone.
The damage cause to last years u 15 and u16s might never be undone and i douth if either managments will ever have anything to do with an offaly team again .
Is it pure politics in the CB or what really going on ??? Is the CB anti hurling ???

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly beat Kildare 1 15 to 1 9.
Dublin beat laois by 3 points. Dublin were reduced to 14 men. Kk won also vs wexford

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Happy Easter Folks!

Great to see the Minors rebound against Kildare.

Would anyone know what it would take for our boys to come through to the Semi-Finals?

Assuming (hopefully incorrectly) that our heavy defeat to Laois will possibly require someone else to 'help' us?

Just wondering, thanks!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa- ... 1.265.html

From this Offaly play Wexford or Laois, i assume we cant play Laois again so looks like the yellow bellies.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Under 17. Dublin 1 -20 to offaly 15 points. Really good game. Offaly went toe to toe for 45 minutes. Then as usual ran totally out of steam. Outscored 10 points to 1 I think for reminder of the game. Offaly really need to develop physically. Dublin and offaly equal skill level. But physically, dublin 10points better.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Its a big issue in Offaly GAA and all teams of our standard. The top teams have naturally good athletes and top them up with S&C. We dont have the same depth of quality athletes and don't do much re S&C. I know there was a plan for Athlone IT to oversee all underage development with regard to this but think this has all been left aside this year. Not sure if anything has been going on in this area for last while? Can anyone tell us any different?
jimbob

Hurlingtothebackbone
Junior B

Left work early this evening and travelled across the city myself to see our 17s take on Dublin, yes they went toe to toe for 45mins but would not agree that the ran out of steam. The problems arose when the side line started to ring the changes and the team lost all its shape and composure. Why might you ask could that happen?
Well in this new professional set up according to our wonderful coaching and games committee it should never have happened you see its about developing the players and winning isn't important but some one forgot to tell the management about the plan and they went for the win. Why else would you start four 15yr olds ahead of physically bigger 17 year olds and then spring a fifth 15 year old from the bench again ahead of 17 year olds. For the record Offaly started 10 players from this years minor set up, 4 from last years U15 set up all of who are not 16 yet and one player from the current 17 set up/ last years 16 set up ( bear in mind some of the starting 10 minors would have been with last years 16 squad. Where's the problem - well for starters they had one single collective training session together last Monday morning, secondly because of the set up forced on the management by coaching and games they don't know all the players, their most natural positions or their ability and this was evident with the misplacing of players on the field eg a player plays corner back for the minors last Saturday and starts wing forward for the 17s this evening. Another is a gifted half forward/midfielder and he starts at full forward this evening. The best 16 squad player from last year only got brought on for the last 10 mins and many of last years 16s didn't get a look in.
There was one or two encouraging points tonight, work rate was excellent right through and no Dublin back got an easy clearance most were hassled time and time again. There was a bit of high fielding early on from Offaly but Dublin came to terms with this quickly and always had a man in front and behind when the tackling player disrupted the Offaly catch. Dublin's physicality and size was the overall difference and their running off the shoulder was exceptional, their sharpness on the ball was better than Offaly's in the ruck and their eye for the ball was quicker.
Another positive point was that for the first time with an underage team Offaly had a physio present but still lacked a Doctor.
It was disappointing yet again to note that Offaly had only two mentors tonight to Dublin's Five. Offaly players (panellists) I assume carried hurls and water while Dublin were again more professional with 3 adults on each side line also doubling up giving instruction and direction to the players.
The mentors that got the door must have really done something very wrong as I noted no less than 5 in the stands - T Connors, B Butler, G Maher, N Gleeson and if I'm correct A Doyle Ferbane was part of that set up last year as well. How could M Cashen and T Moloney look at the set up tonight both present when we are suppose to be in a more professional era and let players do the work that some of these men could be doing and also giving a hand out with coaching and passing on vital information learned in the last three years from their time with the squads. Pat Cleary (Chairperson of C&G for last 5 years) and Micheal Duigan were also in the stands and they too could have helped out if asked but bottom line is we seem to be too thick and ignorant to ask for help because what we(coaching and games are doing is in the best interest of Offaly GAA) time to wake up lads admit you have made errors and seek help, from speaking with parents this evening they are only too happy to help.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The above post may well be correct. Maybe MGT on the line did not know their players well enough to make correct changes. That aside, Offaly were smaller, tired quicker and outside 3 maybe 4 players were physically dominated. Dublin also very good at taking the ball at pace then shooting for points. low ball out of the defence to mid field then into attack. I was there with a friend. Usually we are in time to watch both teams warm up. Dublin's and offalys warm ups were equally good. But with one striking difference. Offaly's was quite, done at a good pace but not hectic. Dublins was intense, loud and very match specific.
Soley going on the warm ups we both thought Dublin would win by 10 plus points. But Offaly did match Dublin for 45 minutes.

Hurlingtothebackbone
Junior B

My mate was in Thurles today with his lad where our 16s tried to take on Tipp. He told me Offaly lacked intensity lacked pace and were almost always second to the breaking ball. Aparently a lot of players looked tired and ran out of steam very quickly. We played with a full deck except for Young Kiely who got injured with his club last night. Tipp won 4-15 to 1-11 Offaly missed 11 from placed balls from all over the field. There is something seriously wrong these two teams played last year Im told in a challege and Offaly gave them a whipping. Again today only two mentors with the squad and the board and C&G continue to bury ther heads in the sand refusing to share the work load why destroy all the good work done over the last few years just to make a point and for what to drive hurling into the ground?????????? For the record my mates lad did not start and only got a short time on the field today last year all the squad were getting game time and he in particular was a regular starter. How can this be happening and how long is it going to continue.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Hurlingtothebackbone wrote:My mate was in Thurles today with his lad where our 16s tried to take on Tipp. He told me Offaly lacked intensity lacked pace and were almost always second to the breaking ball. Aparently a lot of players looked tired and ran out of steam very quickly. We played with a full deck except for Young Kiely who got injured with his club last night. Tipp won 4-15 to 1-11 Offaly missed 11 from placed balls from all over the field. There is something seriously wrong these two teams played last year Im told in a challege and Offaly gave them a whipping. Again today only two mentors with the squad and the board and C&G continue to bury ther heads in the sand refusing to share the work load why destroy all the good work done over the last few years just to make a point and for what to drive hurling into the ground?????????? For the record my mates lad did not start and only got a short time on the field today last year all the squad were getting game time and he in particular was a regular starter. How can this be happening and how long is it going to continue.
Agenda alert.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I have no love for the CB...

But there is always two sides of the coin

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I was impressed with the Offaly U17s who enjoyed a big win over Meath earlier this evening.

Now, Meath offered little resistance, and everything is predicated on this, but still. Offaly made countless fine fetches, they made several intelligent passing moves, they played handpasses, they supported the ball carrier, they thought their way around the pitch. Everything you want to see your team doing, but which has sadly been all but stamped out in Offaly hurling over the last decade. The oul lad in the top boots, flat cap and cigarette would have been appalled.

Now, the pitch was recently sanded and wasn’t suitable for hurling, but Offaly took the game to Meath, the Offaly half-back area totally dominant during the opening quarter when Offaly compiled their early lead. Some big, rangy forwards, who cold take a score and who would have benefitted hugely from a proper S&C programme over the last few years.

Management were positive too, Eunan Martin and his men offered encouragement at every opportunity, while also keeping the team organised with coaching and positioning.

A really encouraging performance, though the quality of the opposition has to be considered.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hurlingtothebackbone
Junior B

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I was impressed with the Offaly U17s who enjoyed a big win over Meath earlier this evening.

Now, Meath offered little resistance, and everything is predicated on this, but still. Offaly made countless fine fetches, they made several intelligent passing moves, they played handpasses, they supported the ball carrier, they thought their way around the pitch. Everything you want to see your team doing, but which has sadly been all but stamped out in Offaly hurling over the last decade. The oul lad in the top boots, flat cap and cigarette would have been appalled.

Now, the pitch was recently sanded and wasn’t suitable for hurling, but Offaly took the game to Meath, the Offaly half-back area totally dominant during the opening quarter when Offaly compiled their early lead. Some big, rangy forwards, who cold take a score and who would have benefitted hugely from a proper S&C programme over the last few years.

Management were positive too, Eunan Martin and his men offered encouragement at every opportunity, while also keeping the team organised with coaching and positioning.

A really encouraging performance, though the quality of the opposition has to be considered.
Didn't make the game tonight working late, delighted they got the win, cheers for the up date Pat, these are a talented bunch of lads and only encouragement will drive them on, Eunan and his two mentors are excellent coaches but they need more help and input from the last number of years instead of trying to learn it all again (players best positions, strengths weakness etc what needs attention) This could progress and fast track development and performances at a quicker rate and give them the upper hand all the time.