Football league 3 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Football league 3 2017

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:Matt's club?
Kilclonfert
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

NewEra wrote:
llkj wrote:
Square Cab wrote:I was delighted for everyone involved particularly after the total over reaction over the Armagh result. Once again, well done to all involved and let’s hope for a similar performance against Westmeath in a few weeks.
Overreaction? Surely when a team have a record defeat like that, the county are entitled to ask some questions. We got beaten by 30 odd points against a fellow division 3 team. Wondering if the team are playing for the manager or trying to find out what went wrong is fully within the entitlement of all involved - supporters, county board, etc. I would welcome such questioning as it shows that such performances are not acceptable and that we are not asleep at the wheel.

Well done to the team from recovering from that terrible performance. To get 4 points in the remaining games and put in a good show against Tipp is a good achievement.
You are obviously related to one of the two delegates!! Their comments were idiotic, baseless and clueless. Impossible to even defend that type of criticism. I hope their comments are retracted or an apology given at next county board meeting.
I am not related to any county board delegates, I don't even know who that Kelly fella is. Reading his quote, it is in no way constructive and inappropriate for a cb delegate to say in a public forum.

I still feel it is appropriate to ask what the F happened against Armagh. 10 points is a bad day, 20 is terrible, should not happen, 30 points is shambolic and disgraceful. I doubt the team shrugged it off as just one of those days, so I hope internally at least they are questioning every aspect of what went wrong that day so that it never, ever happens again!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Let's be clear on something, Offaly weren't as bad as the Armagh defeat indicated, we've been more than competitive in every game in the league, but the comments made by the 2 club officials had nothing to do with the defeat to Armagh, it was just an attack on Pat Flanagan that was clearly preplanned and they were just waiting for the right chance to stand up on their little box and start preaching to Offaly Gaa fans that Pat Flanagan needed to go. The points they raised were blatant lies and it was nothing more than a character assassination of a manager whose taken us further in 2 years than we've gone in the past 10 years under the guidance of county board yes men!!

Now I take IIKJ's comment that teams shouldn't get beaten by 30 points, but these sort of big defeats can happen and considering if we get past Westmeath we play Dublin most Offaly fans today would take anything less than a 20 point beating as nearly a good result, so I wouldn't start saying these sort of beatings shouldn't happen...because they can and they will happen once we come up against one of the elite teams.
The Untouchable

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Considering we nearly beat Kildare last year in championship...who would believe when they are playing Dublin they could cause an upset should we not be thinking the same.

Yes you have to be realistic but going into a game against Dublin hoping for a 20 pts beating or less is not exactly a great mindset to be in is it ?

This Same mindset has crept into Offaly hurling over the years and it's an awful place to be in because the games turn out to be noting short of a practice match with no intensity.

Wouldn't it be great if we beat Westmeath and take on Dublin and run them close for as long as we can hoping they have an off day, instead of thinking right a 20 pt loss here is good.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

the Untouchable wrote:Let's be clear on something, Offaly weren't as bad as the Armagh defeat indicated, we've been more than competitive in every game in the league, but the comments made by the 2 club officials had nothing to do with the defeat to Armagh, it was just an attack on Pat Flanagan that was clearly preplanned and they were just waiting for the right chance to stand up on their little box and start preaching to Offaly Gaa fans that Pat Flanagan needed to go. The points they raised were blatant lies and it was nothing more than a character assassination of a manager whose taken us further in 2 years than we've gone in the past 10 years under the guidance of county board yes men!!

Now I take IIKJ's comment that teams shouldn't get beaten by 30 points, but these sort of big defeats can happen and considering if we get past Westmeath we play Dublin most Offaly fans today would take anything less than a 20 point beating as nearly a good result, so I wouldn't start saying these sort of beatings shouldn't happen...because they can and they will happen once we come up against one of the elite teams.
The delegates comments were out of line. we all agree with that I take it. It's bulls like this guy who have the county where it is with their ignorance.

As regards the Armagh game. Flanagan not to blame. Players need to take full responsibility. Armagh are not a poor team but as their results over the last two years have shown they are where they are for good reason, a division 3 side. losing to them in the manner Offaly did definitely deserved questioning. Questioning of the players mind set going up their and their attitude and fight when they had a poor start would be acceptable I am sure you would agree. They lay down and died and showed no fight that day.

Have Offaly made progress. Well I am not so sure. Still losing to Longford pretty comfortably and they have met a fair amount of times in the last 3 years so I think that is an appropriate measure. Westmeath have got the better of them in all meetings recently albeit narrowly. So lets see if they have progressed when they meet them. Should be well able to win that one.

Great to get the win over Laois and stay up. Vital really. But made very hard work of it. And lucky to get the win in the end after being by far the better team. Plenty of work to be done. Hopefully they will have a long summer.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

the Untouchable wrote: Now I take IIKJ's comment that teams shouldn't get beaten by 30 points, but these sort of big defeats can happen and considering if we get past Westmeath we play Dublin most Offaly fans today would take anything less than a 20 point beating as nearly a good result, so I wouldn't start saying these sort of beatings shouldn't happen...because they can and they will happen once we come up against one of the elite teams.
Well, I am going to say that 30 point defeats shouldn't happen at Senior inter-county level in Gaelic Football! Taking into account that it was a division 3 team that handed us the defeat as opposed to Dublin, makes the case even stronger. An off-day is 10 points to Armagh and one of the things that can happen from time to time, I agree. 30 points - should never happen and is not excusable. To ask questions to ensure that it never happens again is a good thing in my book, which was the initial point that I wanted to make, rather than just sweeping it under the rug like it never happened.

Also, to clarify, I do not agree with or condone the comments by that county board rep. Most of the reaction that I have heard and seen after that result was shock, sadness, deep frustration and shame that it happened - which I do not feel are overreactions to such a result.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think anyone thinks that it's acceptable and should be brushed off, and certainly there were a lot of questions that could have been asked. Indeed the first question that should have been asked would be "what happened" and for the manager to explain in his own words. That's always the best starting point, as opposed to deciding what the matter is from outside.

If anything, the overreaction from some of the delegates has meant that legitimate questioning was no longer an option, as a circling of the wagons was the next step. You'd like to think however that when the dust settles, it won't just be forgotten about either.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

League is over, but this is certainly good news right?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=268969
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Now that is the right sort of news to be getting ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and when is Anton back from overseas duty ?????

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

The 2nd week in May is what I hear

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

And Maloney back from injury.

Great to get a few back and nice lead up ahead of WH