U21 football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: U21 football

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offaly's 15th time to reach a Leinster U21 football decider. They've won eight. The record in finals is as follows -

1964 – lost to Laois 0-8 to 1-8
1965 – lost to Kildare 0-10 to 1-11
1968 – beat Wexford 2-13 to 0-7
1970 – lost to Lough 3-9 to 2-13
1971 – beat Meath 1-9 to 0-11
1972 – lost to Kildare 0-6 to 2-9 after a 2-8 to 0-14 draw
1973 – beat Kildare 3-8 to 3-6
1977 – beat Kildare 0-12 to 0-4
1978 – lost to Louth 2-7 to 2-8
1979 – beat Louth 4-14 to 5-4
1986 – beat Laois 1-10 to 0-9 after a 1-11 to 2-8 draw
1988 – beat Wexford 2-7 to 2-5 after 0-8 to 1-5, 0-12 to 2-6 aet, and 1-12 to 1-12 aet draws
1995 – beat Westmeath 0-14 to 0-8
2007 – lost to Laois 1-7 to 0-13
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

So it's the Jackeens we face next Wednesday. First time we've played them in a Leinster U21 final.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Dublin will be playing Donegal in the All Ireland semi final, or maybe Cavan will beat them...
http://www.reservoirdubs.com/t/u21-foot ... 7/1212/193

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Aye, maybe they'll get their All-Ireland semi-final in Parsmelly Park. Who do the Leinster Council think they are, bringing Dublin v Longford to Mullingar?
Bord na Mona man wrote:Dublin will be playing Donegal in the All Ireland semi final, or maybe Cavan will beat them...
http://www.reservoirdubs.com/t/u21-foot ... 7/1212/193
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=268281

Yawn.

More in the time honored tradition of patronizing comments about upcoming opponents.

Next year perhaps someone will give this habit up for Lent.

UP OFFALY!!!

Farrell: Faithfuls formidable
28 March 2017

Dublin manager Dessie Farrell.
©INPHO/Ryan Byrne.
Dessie Farrell expects Offaly to put it up to his Dublin side in tomorrow night's last-ever Leinster U21 FC final.

The holders will start the game in Portlaoise as red-hot favourites, but Farrell isnt taking the midlanders - making their first final appearance in a decade - for granted:

“Offaly have a great tradition down the years and they are sure to travel in large numbers as they haven’t been in many finals in recent years,” he told the Dublin GAA website. “They have produced some excellent teams down the years and I when I saw them against Laois, I thought they looked like a formidable outfit.

“They controlled the match for the large part but took their foot off the gas a bit towards the end and made things more difficult for themselves. However, they were deserving winners and they will really look forward to having a crack at Dublin. I would imagine that they will respect Dublin but I don’t think that they’ll show any fear towards us.”
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

Nauseating arrogance really.not one mention of Offaly..please let's beat the fuckers!!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Did you read the post. ? It's the usual , we respect them. Tradition, big support etc etc bland interview. Don't know where you got the arrogance bit from?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Hope offaly get stuck in tonight. While Dublin are justifiably overwhelming favourites, offaly will gain nothing from trying to contain them. Like u21 hurling team last year, they need to go out and have a go. Three years ago Dublin embarrassed us in OCP in minor in front of large crowd. If I remember correctly, Offaly stood off and were very negative that evening and paid the price. The following year at minor level, Offaly were very close to beating Dublin in parnell park so tonight is not all lost as some might think. This is the hope coming out but I'd be hopeful that we play to our potential that we could give them a bit of a rattle.
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Let's have a real go, there's nothing to lose!
If you play this game and show too much respect to reputation, you'll have enough years afterwards to mull over it and regret it.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

Private joker...I wasn't referring to dessie farells piece.i was referring to the 'reservoir dubs' thing earlier.of course the manager would have to say all he said...bullshit ..we respect the opposition..they are very strong blah blah blah...its what's in the previous piece is how they are really thinking...

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Let's have a real go, there's nothing to lose!
If you play this game and show too much respect to reputation, you'll have enough years afterwards to mull over it and regret it.
I've been thinking the same thing, everywhere i look this week everyone is asking how much they are going to lose by but i think its time this county started to back itself and let the opposition worry about us for a change, we shouldn't be thinking that we're there to make up the numbers, Dublin will turn up with an expectancy and a whiff of an arrogant swagger about them thinking all they have to do is turn up and the titles theirs, this is our opportunity to put the county back on the nap and get that rep we used to have of being right awkward bastards to play against
Its a cheesy line but like all great ones there's an element of truth to it, we (Offaly Footballers) Shouldn't be there to take part, we should be there to take over

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Best of Luck to the Offaly Team tonight!!
Give it everything!!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Halftime Dublin 0-10 Offaly 0-5

Thought we were going to be blown out as the initial exchanges did not go our way.

Ship was steadied and unfortunately we've been missing some scoreable chances.

Our boys are working hard. from the first few minutes thought we would be pushed around, but we are doing our best to deal w the physicality and not giving much ground, if any.

Hopefully we can win a little more of the 50/50 ball in the second half and get a better score/shot ratio going.

30 minutes left to play.

UP OFFALY!!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

5 down but great first half effort , a lot of wides should be closer . We had wonderful goal chance and didn't take it, same effort need now and please god rattle the net two or three times

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Dublin 2-14 Offaly 0-8

Good effort. We got worn down.

We turned over the ball a lot in traffic. They were stronger than us. It prevented us from getting into optimal scoring positions. Our boys worked their socks off to support the man in possession, but they would force us into one pass too many or invite us to run at them and then we would get turned over. Their defenders could take more risk and it paid off often when they did. They consistently won more 50/50 ball.

We would have had to play perfectly to win.

Could possibly have been a little closer, but it would have been hard to see us winning this one.

All the same our boys did look like they were getting stuck and giving it all they had.

Thank you to all involved for their considerable effort and spirit today.