National Hurling League 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

I agree with you on the quarter-finals and semi-finals issue. Without these preliminary knockout matches they could start the league three weeks later, at the end of February rather than the beginning of that month.
allstar2010 wrote:No need for q/fs or semi's. League final should be a straight shoot out with top two from Div 1A.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby joe bloggs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Are ye mad. There are only five group games. Football gets seven. The system guarantees everyone at least six, but still less than what football teams get. The games to training ratio is already brutal. Knock out the quarter and semi finals and it will be worse.
Not too mention the fact that there would probably be more dead rubbers if only top two contest a final.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean
User avatar
joe bloggs
All Star
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: canal side

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby sam88885a » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Well done to Kevin Ryan and his young team after a hammering from galway first day out .
He has managed to get the job done .
We were late starting training this year and with such a young panel going up a experence team like Galway who have years of strength and condition done, we were always lightly to get hammered .
A few month training behind us now, sunday will be a big test for our young team ,hopefully these lads can learn from sundays experence.
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby allstar2010 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:29 pm

joe bloggs wrote:Are ye mad. There are only five group games. Football gets seven. The system guarantees everyone at least six, but still less than what football teams get. The games to training ratio is already brutal. Knock out the quarter and semi finals and it will be worse.
Not too mention the fact that there would probably be more dead rubbers if only top two contest a final.


I think 5 games in the league are enough to be honest. I don't think there would be many if any "dead rubber games". There's only 6 in a group, top two in final and bottom two in relegation so you'd imagine there would be something to play for in all games. Kk and Waterford could have possibly been in relegation if they didn't win yesterday ( I think). Do you really think qf between Tipp and Offaly is any benefit to anyone??
Last edited by allstar2010 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
allstar2010
All Star
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby kaiserchief » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 am

I agree with Colm Parkinson.. should be just semi finals, top team in 1B and and 3 teams from 1A.. They will still agrue though if the 1B teams wins, which has happened for the last two years.

The result that counted for Offaly most this year was the fact that Kerry beat Laois and gave us a chnace for survival.
kaiserchief
All Star
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby Bord na Mona man » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:31 am

Offaly in last eight after stern 14-man Kerry test

Allianz HL Division 1B
Kerry 2-16 Offaly 1-21
Offaly booked an Allianz HL quarter-final place, holding on against 14-man Kerry in a hard-fought Division 1B contest played in ideal conditions at Austin Stack Park, Tralee.

The sending-off of Kerry’s sweeper John Buckley on the stroke of half-time proved crucial and it was very much a case of might have been for Kingdom boss Fintan O’Connor.

“It did prove critical,” O’Connor said. “I suppose it was always going to be game of tight margins and you would be hoping not to lose a man. John was a little bit unlucky. I didn’t see the first yellow and while the second was

"I didn’t see the first yellow and while the second was a yellow in fairness to the referee, he had no choice but to send him off. I thought we battled well but because they had the extra man we probably conceded every puck-out in the second half which was probably giving them an in into the game and cost us, but look we are hugely disappointed.”

Kerry had 13 wides to Offaly’s six in the first half with Offaly firing over long-range points from Ben Connelly, Peter Geraghty and David King allied to some accurate freetaking by Shane Dooley. Despite facing a stiff wind, Kerry were just two points adrift at half-time, thanks to 1-3 from outstanding full-forward Padraig Boyle and the freetaking of Shane Nolan.

Despite being a man short in the second half, they outscored Offaly but shot seven wides and had a goalbound effort from Jordan Conway saved by the Offaly defence at a crucial juncture. Using all their experience, Offaly got vital scores when it mattered with Sean Cleary (2) and Emmett Nolan (1) firing over points while team captain Sean Ryan led by example.

Offaly got a vital goal from Stephen Quirke in the 54th minute when they were hanging onto a one-point lead.

But despite a late Shane Nolan goal, three bad wides ultimately cost Kerry dear.

“Thirteen wides are too many in any game but especially when you are a man down and they were probably trying too hard,” O’Connor reflected. “Offaly were a good side and we have to just pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down next week against Laois. Hopefully we will be able to get the result next weekend which will be a reward for the effort they are putting in.”

Scorers for Offaly:

S Dooley (0-6, 5 frees), C Kiely (0-5, 2 frees), S Cleary (0-4), S Quirke (1-0), D King and E Nolan (0-2 each), B Conneely and P Geraghty (0-1 each).

Scorers for Kerry:

S Nolan (1-6, 5 frees, 1 65), P Boyle (1-5), B Murphy, P O’Connor, C Harty, J Conway and K Carmody (0-1 each).

KERRY:

M Stackpoole; J O’Connor, T Murnane, S Weir; D Collins, B Murphy, D Dineen; P O’Connor, J Goulding; S Nolan, P Kelly, C Harty; J Conway, P Boyle, J Buckley.

Subs:

M O’Leary for P Kelly (47), B O’Leary for C Harty (56), K Carmody for J Goulding (56), T Casey for P O’Connor (64)

OFFALY:

J Dempsey; P Rigney, M Cleary, B Conneely; P Geraghty, D Shortt, S Gardiner; A Treacy, D King; S Ryan, S Dooley, O Kelly; S Cleary, C Kiely, E Nolan.

Subs:

E Grogan for S Gardiner (28), P Murphy for B Conneely (43), S Quirke for S Dooley (43), J Mulrooney for P Geraghty (51), P Camon for E Nolan (65).

Referee:

S Cleere (Kilkenny)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 46244.html
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby Toxicity234 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 pm

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaelic ... rules.html

Clare are up in arms over been in a playoff. As per normal for Clare. Work in Dublin and haven't heard one complaint from a Dub yet. The two Clare lad haven't shut up about it.
We did what we need to do to get to a 1/4 final and to hell with the begrudgers.
“Common sense is not so common.”
Toxicity234
All Star
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby SearingDrive » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Toxicity234 wrote:http://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaelic-games/242235/hurler-on-the-ditch-offaly-do-deserve-to-be-in-league-quarter-final-because-them-s-the-rules.html

Clare are up in arms over been in a playoff. As per normal for Clare. Work in Dublin and haven't heard one complaint from a Dub yet. The two Clare lad haven't shut up about it.
We did what we need to do to get to a 1/4 final and to hell with the begrudgers.

Exactly. Clare are in a relegation match because they finished second from bottom. Dublin will play the match, and take their chance. We did not write the rules of the league, and we achieved our objective by staying in the league. Well done by Kevin Ryan, selectors, and players.
SearingDrive
All Star
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby joe bloggs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 pm

allstar2010 wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:Are ye mad. There are only five group games. Football gets seven. The system guarantees everyone at least six, but still less than what football teams get. The games to training ratio is already brutal. Knock out the quarter and semi finals and it will be worse.
Not too mention the fact that there would probably be more dead rubbers if only top two contest a final.


I think 5 games in the league are enough to be honest. I don't think there would be many if any "dead rubber games". There's only 6 in a group, top two in final and bottom two in relegation so you'd imagine there would be something to play for in all games. Kk and Waterford could have possibly been in relegation if they didn't win yesterday ( I think). Do you really think qf between Tipp and Offaly is any benefit to anyone??


I'm sure tipp will put up a big score against us, but still it gives our younger players a chance to test themselves against the best.

The other 3 1/4 finals could go either way, so just because we are the odd one out I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

P.s. where are you Fifi? I thought you would have took up residence here for this week and next. Are you still celebrating last year's All Ireland?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean
User avatar
joe bloggs
All Star
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: canal side

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 pm

You couldn't take a reporter who thought Peter Geraghty lined out at right half-back seriously.

Mortimer Murphy wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 46244.html
OFFALY: J Dempsey; P Rigney, M Cleary, B Conneely; P Geraghty, . . .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby fifitrixiebelle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 pm

joe bloggs wrote:
P.s. where are you Fifi? I thought you would have took up residence here for this week and next. Are you still celebrating last year's All Ireland?


i posted here 3 days ago joe but maybe your not a big ball man...i think the last time i posted on hurlin alotta lads got serious twists in their drawers. the ai is well & over concentratin on the league now. what can i help ya with??
fifitrixiebelle
All Star
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby joe bloggs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 pm

fifitrixiebelle wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:
P.s. where are you Fifi? I thought you would have took up residence here for this week and next. Are you still celebrating last year's All Ireland?


i posted here 3 days ago joe but maybe your not a big ball man...i think the last time i posted on hurlin alotta lads got serious twists in their drawers. the ai is well & over concentratin on the league now. what can i help ya with??


Your right about not being a big ball man :D

Was worried, thought you might not be still with us, a bit like your old friend town man who is on the missing list recently.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean
User avatar
joe bloggs
All Star
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: canal side

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby sam88885a » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 am

Toxicity234 wrote:http://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaelic-games/242235/hurler-on-the-ditch-offaly-do-deserve-to-be-in-league-quarter-final-because-them-s-the-rules.html

Clare are up in arms over been in a playoff. As per normal for Clare. Work in Dublin and haven't heard one complaint from a Dub yet. The two Clare lad haven't shut up about it.
We did what we need to do to get to a 1/4 final and to hell with the begrudgers.


Didnt Cork lose every game last year in 1b and beat Galway in the play off to avoid the drop ,
If Laois or Kerry had made the quarter final with 1 win ,it would be seen as a sign that either team were improving and just rewards for hard work .
Fuck the begrudgers we deserve to be there , in our last 3 games in this league we gave decent preformances that why we there .

I expect Michael Ryan to give fringe player a start , he knows they wont need to be at 100%, Tipp will hope to play 3 more games in this league and defend their Munster and All Ireland titles so Ryan will use his panel to keep guys fresh.
Its a great chance for our lads to gain experence against the best team in the country .
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby greenairfield » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 am

Sam what are you smoking...We deserve t be in a quarter final because we "performed well" in our last 3 matches.
We deserved not to be relegated but too be in a league quarter final is ridiculous and just shows another flaw in the structure of the hurling format.
greenairfield
All Star
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Postby Roverrover » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 am

Hey lads first time poster long time lurker. Agree with greenairfield about it being a flaw in the league structure but I think it's a good situation to be in. Tipperary will be expected to win comprehensively and I would imagine that they are in a current period of heavy training (Cork game they didnt look fresh). If we can keep the game anyway competitive then it would be a big boost to our young squad
Roverrover
Junior C
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests