Football league 3 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Football league 3 2017

Post by Killeighman »

Joey O'Connor was free to play as his red card vs Longford was downgraded to a black card.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Killeighman wrote:Joey O'Connor was free to play as his red card vs Longford was downgraded to a black card.
Glad to hear that. I was at the game and nobody seemed to know why he got a red card.

Out of interest how is a card downgraded ? Does the ref admit in his report that he got it wrong or how does it work?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Any news of Offaly's team for today's game v Louth?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly will have some stiff tests ahead and less margin for error now.
Antrim's win over Sligo is surprising given how bad they looked last week.

I think Offaly will need to get something on the road against Sligo or Armagh to ensure Division 3 safety.

Feb
Junior C

Post by Feb »

I'm afraid we shot ourselves in the foot in this one. 5 or 6 individual errors resulting directly in Loth scores and a missed free was the difference. Shortfrees/lineballs/quick kickouts given straight to the opposition particularly in the second half were punished. If we cut out those errors and convert the straightforward frees we win the game.

Unlike Louth we didn't seem to adapt to the conditions. Far too often in the first half whilst we did carry well inside the opposition 40 only to run into the corners get bottled up, poor shot execution etc. Surely after kicking 23 points against Antrim we have the ability to try a few shots from outside the 40 (given the conditions). Louth on the other hand aimed high long balls at their full forward who won /broke the majority and they reaped the rewards. Their midfielder also chipped in with 2 or 3 lovely long range scores. To be fair Eoin Carroll kicked a monster too and Nigel Dunne kicked some good frees but, in my opinion, we didn't have enough shots at the posts.

We battled in the second half and took some nice scores but when goals were need Louth rightly flooded the defence making it almost impossible for us to break through.

Losing Brian Darby was a pity too as he was playing well. That said Cian Donohoe didn't let the side down once introduced.

Louth goals were woefully soft too. With the first one a mishit pass rolled straight across the field. It looked like any one of about 4 offaly lads would intercept it. None did. Louth get it, slip it to the corner forward. goal. The second one equally scrappy. So its not like we were being overrun.

Louth are a decent side. Very big down the spine with a couple of big ball carrying wing forwards too. Nice footballers with momentum. But this was far from a hammering. It was a tough day for football. Goals decided it.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree. We needed to be winning our home to stay safe, so now puts pressure for an away win.

A positive to take is that Louth are in flying form and Offaly put up a good contest for 70 mins. In football, goals win games, especially when ya score 2 in the first half and they were the difference between the teams.

We started well and went 4 to 1 ahead but when the goal went in we dropped or heads. Our overall performance was better all round and I think we are on the right track for the summer. more lads should be back so (McNamee, Maloney, and Anton) so things can only get stronger better. Dunne, Panda and Carroll appear to be on song but need more support. I assume Ru Mac wasn't playing because of the under 21 game Wednesday but he is also another option.

Hopefully we get a win on Wednesday night and a few lads catch Flanagans eye. I seen these lads at minor and they let themselves down against Dublin in OCP. Hopefully the likes of Adam Mahon, Farrell, Dunican and Russo step up to the plate and we get a good run in Leinster. We avoid Dublin and Kildare until the final so hopefully we cant get to the Leinster final.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Offaly will have some stiff tests ahead and less margin for error now.
Antrim's win over Sligo is surprising given how bad they looked last week.

I think Offaly will need to get something on the road against Sligo or Armagh to ensure Division 3 safety.
I fancy a take away in Sligo or Armagh! That's about all we'll get in the away games.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

That's a massive defeat. 6 20 to 10 points.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

things gone seriously bad.this time last year i was in ocp as offaly beat clare in div3.today clare beat cork by 7 points in div2 and offaly lost by 28 points to armagh in div3?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wouldn't really expect the footballers to get a hammering like this , maybe expect to be beaten but this was just shocking. What in the name of god is going on ??

Feverferbar
Junior C

Post by Feverferbar »

Not good. Not good at all. Flanagan has probably done the right thing to step down, but surely the players have questions to answer too.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I expect the reaction to this will be renewed calls to bin the crunchie board and sack the manager.
A defeat today was ominous for a few reasons.
- An away game vs Armagh, who, although in D3 are a bit better than that and their DNA is still that of a D2 team.
- Offaly weren’t going as well as last year. In 2016 they would probably have beaten either or both of Lough and Longford.

None of these omens suggested a wipe out though.

How it came about is still hard to comprehend. Firstly Offaly got off to a woeful start. Armagh scored from the throw in and spent the next 10 minutes camped in the Offaly half. Offaly couldn’t win any long kickouts and then the short ones didn’t work either. Armagh’s size in physique was a big factor. They fairly bossed Offaly in the physical battles. After 5 minutes Armagh had scored 1-5 and Offaly had only gotten out of their own half once. On the short kickouts Armagh pressed up on every player and Offaly were like rabbits in the headlights. Most other teams you play at this level would drop off and you allow leeway to work it from the back. I imagine McGeeney had seen enough of Offaly from his Kildare days to know we can be outmuscled. Perhaps if Offaly still had Niall Smith, it might have given them the ability to win a mark from a kickout and break out somehow.

Surprisingly for a while after this Offaly regained their composure and scored 4 points out of 5 attacks with decent build up play. They were never going to win the game, but their way signs they could return a bit of fire. Once Armagh got the second goal, it killed any resistance. After that it turned into a complete procession. The Offaly backs were losing almost all of the duels. There was little or no covering from other players to redeem situations. Armagh cut them open at will. A couple of goals were walked in from close range with an unmarked man able to push it into an empty net.
This has sadly been a feature of Offaly hurling and football teams for the past decade and a bit. Once a game goes beyond redemption, a sound beating becomes an absolute tanking due to a lack of fight.

Pat Flanagan had more green ticks than red crosses up to now, but he may be feeling the heat. Is this performance a freak, or has the rot started? From Kilmurray onwards, most Offaly managers have been dethroned by an absolute stinker of a performance.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Feverferbar wrote:Not good. Not good at all. Flanagan has probably done the right thing to step down, but surely the players have questions to answer too.

did I miss something here - has Flanagan stepped down??
Doon exile....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Doon Exile wrote:
Feverferbar wrote:Not good. Not good at all. Flanagan has probably done the right thing to step down, but surely the players have questions to answer too.

did I miss something here - has Flanagan stepped down??
If he has, the media does not seem to have picked it up yet. I hope it is not the case.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Padraic Sullivan has added to the discussion.

https://twitter.com/SullivanParaic/stat ... 1504817152

Many of his points are valid in a general sense, though yesterday is still a bizarre given that Offaly had been competitive so far. If the set up is that bad, then we shouldn't have hammered Antrim and gotten near Louth.

I haven't noticed any significant abuse on the web, bar a couple of shouts of on twitter.