Leinster Hurling v Laois

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Leinster Hurling v Laois

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If British summer time began on the last Sunday in March, then Irish summer time began last Sunday at 2 o’clock in Thurles. There, championship hurling returned with the clash of Tipperary and Limerick, where Limerick, who had shown good league form, were outhurled in all departments by Tipperary, who’s league form ranged from indifferent to poor beyond belief at times. Therein lies a huge lesson for the Offaly hurlers as they embark on their 2006 Leinster championship campaign on Sunday when they visit Portlaoise. League form counts for little once summer time comes round.

If Offaly approach this at anything short of championship pace, they will be in for a torrid afternoon. Laois’s championship ambitions don’t extend beyond putting it up to their neighbours to the north. This is their ‘All-Ireland final’ and we can be sure that if they can get a sniff of a chance of winning they will grow in stature as the match progresses. A good start is required by the Offaly team in order to put the doubts in the Laois minds. It’s important to keep the ball moving, as Laois will be physical. After the effort and sacrifices the Offaly team has made over the last 6 months, it would be a terrible shame to see their Leinster championship hopes go up in smoke, back door or no back door. And a hard winter’s work is no guarantee of success. Remember how Clare had to depend on every stroke of good fortune to eventually overcome a very poor Cork side in the first round in 1995.

The Offaly selection will be interesting. 3 positions are very much up for grabs. Goalkeeper is first. Will they opt for the experienced Mullins or hand Shane O’Connor a championship debut? In my opinion, it’s a no-brainer. While Mullins has made some mistakes during the league, he’s the man for the big occasion. The No. 7 slot is next. This jersey changed hands a number if times during the league. The robust Declan Tanner hurled well there against Waterford, Daniel Hoctor was doing alright against Wexford, though Barry Teehan was cleaned out when introduced in that match. The other option is a recall for Brian Whelahan. If we go on a horses-for-courses route (and this is Laois), I’d be inclined to give Tanner the nod. The one line Offaly have options in reserve is the half back line. The third slot for decision is the second midfield berth, which alternated chiefly between Cordial and Hanrahan. Hanrahan is a ball winner, good in the air, while Cordial does his best hurling on the deck. Hard to know what they’re thinking here though the main clues will have been provided through the starting 15 in the challenge match played against Cork.

George Hook, when analysing the forthcoming Heineken cup final, attributed success to three factors- the skill of the players, the tactical awareness of the coaches and the will to win. On the basis of skill alone, it would be no contest. However, Dinny Cahill is a good coach. He’s highly regarded in his native Tipperary, brought Antrim a long way in a short time when they put it up to defending All-Ireland champions Tipperary in 2002, and should have beaten Wexford a year later. Laois’s will to win will become apparent if Offaly stand off and allow them hurl. Following the debacle that was the relegation match a month earlier Offaly had a score to settle when the sides last met 2 years ago in Tullamore. This time it’s Laois who hold the motivation factors.

Of course it’s no help when Colm Keyes, in a pre-championship preview in the indo last week lists Wexford’s first championship encounter as v Offaly, 11th June completely ignoring the fact that Offaly must face Laois first. The Portlaoise venue should hold no fears for this Offaly team. They’ve been here for the Clare match last year and most have played many times at under 21, minor and schools level here.

It has also emerged this (Tuesday) evenung that the Portlaoise clubmen have withdrawn from the county panels (both hurling and football). Offaly would do well not to allow this affect their approach to the game, as the county hurlers aren't exactly overburdened with Portlaoise clubmen. Only Tommy Fitzgerald started in Tullamore 2 years ago while the number had risen to 3 for the Corke Park clash with Wexford last year.

Interestingly, a championship debut for Joe Bergin will make him the first Clareen man to hurl championship since Johnny Dooley brought the curtain down on his career against Tipperary at Sunday’s venue in 2002. Similarly, a debut for Tanner would make him the first Rynagh’s county man since Hubert Rigney’s cameo appearance on the same evening. How times have changed.

It’s all down to how Offaly approach this. If they’re in the right frame of mind and hurl for seventy minutes they’ll win and set up a spin to Kilkenny and the date with Wexford we’re waiting all year for.

Kevin
All Star

Agree

Post by Kevin »

Laois can't be allowed to see the light. We need to jump on them early and keep the fresh legs coming over the 70 minutes. We can't be bashful about putting the game away as early as possible - should the opportunity arise.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Great Preview!!

What about Niall Claffey at No. 7? The Offaly Express last week reported that he's back with the panel. He's got the size and the hurling ability.

Maybe Declan Tanner will start because he's been there for the last few matches?

Treasurer
All Star

Team

Post by Treasurer »

B Mullins
B Teehan, P Cleary, D Franks
K Brady, R Hanniffy, D Tanner
G Hanniffy, G Oakley
B Murphy, M O'Hara, M Cordial
B Carroll, J Bergin, A Hanrahan

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The worry is that it'll be a wet day and Leix will be able to mullock us out of it.

As I've said before, we are conceding far too many big scores.
In the league we conceded:
Cork 2-18 (In February)
Clare 2-22 (On a wet day)
Tipp 2-21 (And an absolute tonne of easy wides)

Would anyone be surprised if Kilkenny put say 2-28 on the board in a Leinster final?
Which would be the same points tally as they got in last year's rout.

We'll probably get away with it against Leix, but I can't see us going far while leaking like a rusty bucket. We seriously need to tighten up at half back and midfield. If we're not going to employ a sweeper, then we would need to use far more defensive midfielders. I think Ger Oakley should be considered. None of Cordial, Hanniffy or Hanrahan are defensive minded enough.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Didn't spot the team had been posted. Oakley starts as I'd hoped.
Hayden and Egan replaced. Egan looked a little short of self belief, whenever I saw him.
If Hanrahan plays in the full forward line it will give us two tall men to aim at.

I would have thought that Brendan O'Meara was in line to start. Any ideas why Teehan replaces hims?
I don't think he's really a natural corner back.

Kevin
All Star

The Team

Post by Kevin »

B Mullins
B Teehan, P Cleary, D Franks
K Brady, R Hanniffy, D Tanner
G Hanniffy, G Oakley
B Murphy, M O'Hara, M Cordial
B Carroll, J Bergin, A Hanrahan

I know the new guy is coming along, but have to say Mullins can be spectacular and from the look of things he will need to be on his toes all season (if continues to get the nod).

As mentioned above, hopefully the back 6 can hold up. It would be nice to see the bulk of them settle in for a couple of games, but I won't be holding my breath. We're not talking about an easy task should we progress from here.

That mid-field pairing is decent enough. Oakley can serve the team better in something other than the #3. I think it will allow him to be a little more creative. I'd love to see him have a great year. Hopefully Hannify will decide that everything within his reach is his ball. Always thought he had the ability to turn a game.

The forwards are good. I see Cordial is back - I remember someone mentioning that his play had fallen off a bit this past year. Hopefully his inclusion means that he has been fighting his way back.

From far away I have 'high hopes' for the team this year.

It all starts by beating Laois this weekend. I don't think McIntyre and his assistants will allow anything else to cloud the picture.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The Turfman is right to be concerned at the big scores Offaly are conceding. Since the breakthrough in 1980, one of the hallmarks of Offaly hurling has been the quality of the defending and how few scores were conceded. The Offaly style is built around owning minimal possession, but with constant harassment of the opposition when they are on the ball. This explains why Offaly always seemed to do more hooking and blocking than any other team. Offaly are unlikely to score more than 15-16 points and don’t score many goals. This makes it almost impossible overhaul a tally of 21 points with a couple of goals thrown in.

As regards the team as selected, I feel the right choice had been made in goal. I think Brendan O’Meara is very unlucky to lose out. He had settled in well during the league campaign, marking Joe Deane well on his league debut and progressing from there. Barry Teehan is a ‘grand hurler’; probably more suited to centre-field, but will never mark a tall, strong corner forward like Paul Flynn for example. Alan Egan had a fine league campaign and appears to have lost out due to Oakley’s return at midfield, and Cordial and Hanrahan each moving down a line. Egan can feel disappointed. There’s still Gary Hanniffy’s place up for grabs. It’s hard to see him be able to grip the hurl with a hand wound requiring that many stitches as is reported. Perhaps Egan or Hayden will be recalled with Hanrahan moving outfield?

I’m not sure what message Claffey’s recall is sending to the panellists who were there all year, particularly given the intensive training programme that was undertaken. The panel of 30 for the league match against Waterford didn’t include Joe Brady and Brian Whelahan, both of whom are likely to be listed on Sunday, along with Claffey. In fairness Sid and Joe were involved all along. Who will be the 3 to drop out? (Rigney, Bevans, Lee?) Still, in the parable of the prodigal son, the fella who got shafted was the son who stayed at home.

The weather outlook is not good for Sunday, with wind and rain likely. A dirty day, in other words. Whoever has the elements behind them in the first half had better use them. I’m always inclined to play into the breeze in the first half, put the others in to bat, so to speak. It will take them 15-20 minutes to settle,

Finally, Gerry Russell was on Radio 3 last evening giving his verdict on Sunday’s match. Never one let objectivity have a look in when Offaly are involved, he calls it 50:50. He says Laois have always given Offaly a difficult match (1989? 1996? 2004?) and he feels Laois carry more experience into the game than Offaly (are Laois fielding their football team?)

Kevin
All Star

Sounds like

Post by Kevin »

1.Hannify should sit out 'til the next day if here has a bad hand wound -regardless of the opposition.

2. Gerry Russell - this man has a good sense of humor.

borderfox
Junior A

Post by borderfox »

Egan and o meara are both injured,well dats wat i heard, i presume dylan hayden is playing because of his exams or something, when the 3 of them are back it`l be oakley hanarahan and teehan to lose out. will be intersting to see how tanner gets on,his a bit of a hot-head but hasnt let us down yet! best o luck on sunday offaly!

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

Lads, any truth in the rumour that Rory Hannify is moving to midfield on Sunday?

The Laois team named is:

1.Paddy Mullaney.
2.Cahir Healy.
3.Pakie Cuddy.
4.Brian Campion.
5.Joe Fitzpattrick.
6.Michael McEvoy.
7.Jimmy Hyland.
8.Joe Phelan.
9.James Young.
10.Seamus Dwyer.
11.Darren Rooney.
12.Philip Russell.
13.James Hooban.
14.Paul Cuddy.
15.Sean Lowry.

From a Laois point of view we'll need a lot to go right for us to even have a chance. Big game from goalie Mullaney, very few wides, get the 50/50 calls from the ref and score a few goals. To any of ye travelling, keep an eye out for the clash between Cahir Healy and Brian Carroll, should be a great one to watch.
C'mon Laois!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Howdy folks, long time no hear ..... :D

Bit late for me chipping in with this one, but all the same, I'd be inclined to suggest that we're not at much if we don't win this with a bit to spare. Local rivalry is all very well, but Laois borders both Tipp and Kilkenny as well and nobody would be using it as an excuse there. A strong Laois team working cohesively and geared for this game would be a real banana skin, but to be honest this Laois team doesn't strike me as being either.

As for the Offaly team as named, I've not been privy to any injury news around, so I won't speculate too much, but I do think it's interesting the way we're talking about the high scores conceded as a real danger sign - which it is - yet if you were to ask me which of our units of six look closer to being the complete package, you'd have to say the back six. Certainly individually the six that played most of the league campaign did fairly well, so that would suggest that the problem was further out the field. That's not to say that I'm not a little concerned about Teehan in the corner like others on here, but relative to the number of question marks over our forwards, the backs are the more solid unit. I suspect this might be why Alan Egan could miss out. Himself, Hayden, and Bergin all struggle to convince me in terms of "first line of defence", so that's why I suspect Hano and Cordial got the nod over two of them.

I'd be worried if Laois are able to run us too close here. Waiting in the long grass is all very well, but I'd say following on losses to Tipp and Cork in quick succession, a return to the earlier league form and confidence is crucial in advance of any leinster run.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Cahir Healy is an excellent player all right!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

If the oak is out before the ash get ready for a splash. I don’t think O’Moore Park yesterday was what the old seanfhocal has in mind but it was apt, as the players splashed around in the O'Moore Park paddy field. Quite simply, the pitch was so flooded there was no way the match should have been played. It reduced both matches to a lottery situation. It was ironic to have sideline officials wearing “Maor Uisce” tops! On the Sunday Game interview, John McIntyre said what we were all thinking when he said Cork, Kilkenny, Galway or Wexford wouldn’t be asked to play in that. We can be sure the mention of Wexford was no accident and that this will be added to the bank of ‘motivation factors’ in the lead up to Nowlan Park.

Fortunately Offaly had the aid of playing into the dryer end, wind assisted, in the first half and took a grip early on scoring two goals with some aplomb. Both were expertly finished by Aidan Hanrahan and Joseph Bergin and knocked Laois out of their stride. Hanrahan should have put the result beyond all doubt soon after but drove an excellent goal chance wide. A low scoring game was inevitable and any goals scored would prove crucial. The 3 full forwards dovetailed well in the dry end, the Hanniffys worked hard and Tanner got some delightful blocks in.

Because of the conditions its not fair do any kind of a reasonable analysis. At least any watching Wexford people won’t have learned anything. However, Offaly’s work rate and ball control were impressive despite the floods. Because of this, most scores came from either team gaining possession and playing the ball into the scoring zone through playing the ball into hand through the minimum of moves. If any move broke down and the ball went to ground the chance was lost.

It’s a relief to get that hurdle out of the way and we can focus on Wexford now. At least any watching Wexford people won’t have learned anything about us they didn’t already know.

A big disappointment was the official programme on offer. The survival of the Irish language owes nothing to the producers. Leinster SHC on the cover. Surely they could have copied Chomortas Iomána Laighin from one from last years? The team listings were headed up in English with Westmeath spelt West Meath, and James Hooban wearing 27 for each of Westmeath, Laois and Offaly. The piece de resistance was a state of the nation spiel by a writer from the Leinster Express (a Brian Keyes). It was so poorly punctuated with incorrect use of full stops and commas it was unreadable. It wouldn’t win any prizes in a nationa school writing competition. He wrote that most Offaly supporters would like nothing better than to see their team do to Laois what Kilkenny did to Offaly last year. That isn’t true. We’ve bigger fish to fry than worry about the winning margin against Laois.

Team of the day award goes to the Westmeath hurlers who won their “All Ireland” in beating Dublin and won a home tie against Kilkenny. They grew in stature as the game went on and once they got level there was only going to be one winner. As for Dublin, there’s more to hurling that simply being able to catch the ball in the air.

At least nobody drowned.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

With radio one online deciding not to broadcast Sunday sport and instead provide gripping interviews with a family of Dubs who moved to Mayo, talking about their move as if they had moved not alone to Mayo but to Mayo in the pre famine era, I was left a bit in the dark about the progression of this game.

However doing what reviewing I can, it seems that the prognosis was as good as can be hoped. The team were comfortable, but even in saying that, hammering Laois might only have let over confidence creep in. As it is we remain a team on the up with a hell of a long way to go. I would worry that the backs didn't get a better run out, since Laois forwards wouldn't be formidable at the best of times, and conditions like those favour backsmen all day long. Certainly Wexford forwards will be looking for a much drier day when they can buzz around the place like wasps as they are wont to do. But it seems the key areas went well, and Cleary and Bergin having good days on their first championship starts can only be good. Hanrahan played well in the forwards last year, and seems to have done so again. He certainly offers something up there, much and all as I'd like to see Alan Egan feature, and I would imagine Hano's future is a lot more likely to lie at 13-15 than at 8 or 9.

The main guys I'd be interested in are the maybe guys - Teehan, Cordial and Oakley the main candidates - how did they do?

I'd love to say I'm surprised about Brian Keyes, but sadly no - I'd say he was too lazy to do it himself and probably let his dog do it for him. This is the guy who interviewed me for the Offaly Express job last year, and then refused to take a call or confirm for me that I had missed out. I ended up finding out when I met the guy who got the job at another game. I'm not blaming him for not hiring me - no experience after all - but a simple phone call or letter confirming yay or nay within a fortnight after I had taken a day off work and driven a 200 mile round trip to attend the interview would have been nice. (apologies for the personal rant there, completely irrelevant I know!!)