National Hurling League 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Post by sam88885a »

Poth and Frankthetank sorry for upsetting ye but the question was to name the best club or college players in each position over the last few seasons whether the were on the county panel this year or not . i mistakenly name 16. Sorry. but J Dempsey would be my number 1 keeper even if he play at centre back for his club.
Maybe both of ye might name the best 15 in yer opinion .
i value ye opinion.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In fairness the question was asked to name the best possible team of lads still hurling - not best team available! Few in full back line, while out injured over last few years but played club level. If all was right and injuries managed they would be huge addition - all about 29 / 30!

Here is my tuppence worth

James Dempsey
Paul Cleary
David Kenny
Chris McDonnell
Sean Coughlan
Eanna Murphy
Sean Gardiner
Gary Kelly
Emmet Nolan
Colin Egan
Conor Mahon
Cillian Kiely
Shane Dooley
Joe Bergin
Dan Currams

Other genuine candidates for selection (among others) would include Sean Ryan, Ronan Hughes, Conor Hernon, Dermot Shortt, Dermot Mooney, David King, Paddy Murphy. Brian Leonard and Gary Conneely
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

On balance, if you were to pick an ‘All Star’ type team based on 2016’s Offaly hurling championship, you’d be going along the lines of the following -

Goalkeeper – probably Brian Mullins (remember James Dempsey plays outfield for his club).

Backs, in no particular order – Seán Ryan had a superb year at half-back for Birr and is a cert. Ben Conneely for St Rynagh’s, Danny Maloney too, probably Aidan Treacy, Paddy Delaney also, while Conor Doughan was impressive for Shinrone.

Midfield – Gary Kelly was awarded Senior hurler of the year, alongside him it’s hard to look beyond Joey O’Connor.

Forwards, again in no particular order – The championship’s top scorers from play were Emmet Nolan, Oisín Kelly, Shane Kinsella, Stephen Quirke and Paddy Murphy. Now picking the six top scorers isn’t how you should pick an All-Star team, but it’s a start. Brian Carroll has to be included too. There’s six forwards for you.

Outside of that, there's Colin Egan, who has opted out this year, which he is entitled to do.

Beware, K, of people here picking lads who were in form four years ago but haven't shown form for either club or county since.
keyboardwarrior wrote:Can somebody have a go at listing a current 'best Offaly 15' (including only players who are currently playing club or college hurling to a fitness standard approaching that which would be required at the top level and in their correct/best positions)?

The reason I ask is so that those of us - like myself - who are 'economically exiled' from the local scene can get a feel for who of the players being selected at the moment are the best in their positions of all the total pool of ‘declaring’ and ‘non-declaring’ players.

Appreciate fully that this is highly subjective (and possibly unfair to those players who are committing fully to Offaly hurling at present) but I’d like to know how real the problem of players declining to make themselves available actually is.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I also think there is no point picking lads like Cleary, Hayden & Hannidffy, who have passed their county days but are still committed to their club..

Goalie-- Dempsey is oone of the best shot stoppers in the country and Cluxton plays outfield for his club.. Cahill should be given a few games between the sticks, never know when he will be required

back line - full back has been the problem for the last number of years. Shortt is probably the most natural for this position as he plays there with his club. David O Toole has a good year with the under 21's last year but is still to inexperienced for the position yet. Personally I think Kiely is the man for full back and I would have Chris McDonald and David King @ 2 and 4.

half back.. sean ryan is on the wing for me all day, he is a warrior as has an engine.. conor doughan is the best talent and prospect i have been hearing of for last number of years but like Mr Kelleher from Brosna Gaels he is too overweight for intercounty. Ben Connelly showed last year in the under 21 he is one for the future and had a great year.

midfield.. joey would be one for me, but he cant do both so i am omiiting him from selection.. sean gardiner is midfield for me. Alongside him I would have Del Morkan who is back from London and hurling with Shinrone this year..

half forward line... the main men we are missing this year is the ball winners, conor Mahon, Joe Bergin, Colin Egan... Having all 3 in the half forward line would be ideal with options also coming from Shane Kinsella and Paddy Murphy

Full forward line.. shane dooley is still the key in the full forward line and his scoring record relates to this.. brian carroll served his time for his county and its sad to say i would pick him over anyone in the county for 13... emett nolan and oisin kelly are the future for our forward line and are very dangerous with ball in hand, its getting it to them that seems to be the issue.. Currams would be a super sub to have to bring into full forward line or midfield but is a good bit off the pace now.

So if i had free reins:

Dempsey

McDonald
Kiely
King

Connelley
Doughan
Ryan

Morkan
Gardiner

Egan
Mahon
Bergin

Dooley
Kelly
Noaln

Suns: Cahill, Treacy, Paddy Delaney, David O Toole, Paddy Murphy, kinsella, Podge Guinan, Ronan Hughes, Quirke, Currams

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

lads i agree on last years form S Ryan would have to be in the half back line ,G Kelly In Midfield . E Murphy was Very good at full back for Clareen and S Coughlan was impressive at number 6 and J Bergin was outstanding in midfield .B Connelly had a great year in defence for Rynagh .O Kelly impressed at full forward

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Ryan said it's hard to get 30 lads to come in and commit to the team. I know times were different in my day and we were winning Leinsters and All Irelands but I would have given my heart and soul for a chance to hurl with Offaly. It kills me to see the state we are in now. I have criticised managers and players over the years but I just don't see the point anymore, it doesn't do anyone any good. The players and management im sure are going out trying to win, trying to improve, there is no quick fix. We can't keep changing managers, I don't know if the set up is right or wrong for us now but we need stability.
Changing managers every year is not the answer, the fact is we do not have the players to challenge the stronger teams. Kevin Ryan or any other manager can't force players to commit to Offaly if they choose not to. It is not unique to Offaly.
Please give Kevin Ryan and his team, players and management a chance. We have a crucial game v Laois on Saturday night, a win is vital to avoid the drop to 2A.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree changing managers is not the option. Finding the correct manager is. Thats the task of the county board. For me it has to be a name, look what Fitzgerald is doing for Wexford, changing standards and getting lads interested.

I think thats what we need, we need to get get the names listed that aren't on the panel and i think its the only way to do.

We need and Anthony Chunningham, Brian Lohan, Dj Carey, with experience and more important a name that lads recognise and respect..

Lads playing for Offaly now never heard of Ryan or Kelly before.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

When the foundation of a house is all wrong you don't worry about the roof. Get the club and under age in order and then worry about Senior. Without underage success you will not have senior success. A big name manager can only do so much. The talent has to be there to work with. Look at the last two results in the leinster club championship. Both coolderry and Rynaghs were destroyed once out of offaly.

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
shamlads wrote:Here we go,another year of it.no change,same old,same old.what i cant understand is if the feeling is so strong around the county that the powers that be are the main fault for offaly hurling been where it is,if it is that strong an opinion within the general public,i'm sure alot of the players feel the same.why dont they just walk away and boycott wearing the jersey whatsoever.absolutely down tools.and remain that way until something is done about it.because is it gonna change without something drastic???I for one would admire the guys alot more for taking a stand like that rather than going out every other weekend and getting slaughtered.I do honestly believe it is now the only way to bring about change and lay down a marker.
and i think if it was put to them and knowing the majority of offaly people would back them,well its exactly what should happen.It is time for something drastic,or where the hell do ya draw the line before there is no coming back at all.I would be very very proud of them if they stood up and be counted.This just cant go on.It is an absolute scandal to see where we are now as to where we were.the powers that be are an absolute out and out disgrace.
Surely we should be getting more people involved, rather than urging more people to walk away!
It's called people power,what offaly were good at.it may be a drastic measure to oust the power.s that be,in their cushy number behind their desk's twiddling their thumb's.well one thing is for sure,nothing will ever change if people are of the same mindset as you.cb sympathiser?????

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

I dont think club hurling in Offaly is too bad when compared to other counties. And the introduction of Senior B will remove the meaningless games..i.e kkvs shamrocks, lusmagh, coldiagh gaels etc... and thus make it more competitive

Think I was at a different game than you. Coolderry where not destroyed by Cuala, who where deserved winners and are knocking on the door for all ireland and StRynaghs played oulart with half a team nearly and the other half still celebrating their first county title.

I agree the foundations need to be developed stronger, a lot stronger. I was dissappointed to see the message that the management of the underage teams that did so well last and had 3 months strength and conditioning done also have not been put in place for 2017 yet. A pure disaster if true. I was at both minor semi finals and finals and the hurling, skill and talent in all 3 was of an excellent standard.

I was more commenting for the short term, to keep our heads above water, to ensure the youth of today wont be playing christy ring. Not saying that if every hurler was available for selection we would be winning trophies, but i reckon we would be in a better place than we are now. And I also bet you if Davy Fitz or Dj Carey was ringing Conor Mahon, Colin Egan, Chris McDonald, Dan Currams, etc in the morning asking them into the panel, we would be in a better place.

Only my opinion!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

No one heard of Michael Bond either, and I'd say not many heard of Diarmuid Healy either. And from what I gather, pre-Christmas first impressions of Kevin Ryan among the squad were positive. That's not to say they will remain positive, but it was a start.

Heel of the hunt, managing Offaly is a poisoned chalice and I don't think anyone has enhanced their managerial CV in this county in the last 20 years. And what experience have Brian Lohan and DJ Carey at managing teams with such a deficit of the basics as Offaly have?

The other thing is that, as time goes on, the manager's preferred 15 will take shape, and the hierarchy of the reserves will become apparent. It's all very well in a county with All-Ireland potential, but in Offaly or Antrim or Carlow, fellas outside the top 20 and who know they are outside the top 20 are more likely to lose interest.
kaiserchief wrote:I agree changing managers is not the option. Finding the correct manager is. Thats the task of the county board. For me it has to be a name, look what Fitzgerald is doing for Wexford, changing standards and getting lads interested.

I think thats what we need, we need to get get the names listed that aren't on the panel and i think its the only way to do.

We need and Anthony Chunningham, Brian Lohan, Dj Carey, with experience and more important a name that lads recognise and respect..

Lads playing for Offaly now never heard of Ryan or Kelly before.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Aye, you'd be a great lad to have. First item on the agenda being to run away. No one need depend on you for anything.
shamlads wrote:It's called people power,what offaly were good at.it may be a drastic measure to oust the power.s that be,in their cushy number behind their desk's twiddling their thumb's.well one thing is for sure,nothing will ever change if people are of the same mindset as you.cb sympathiser?????

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

This is the thing - it is going to take a generation from the time a plan is implemented for the benefits to be seen at Senior level. The damage has been done and too many teenagers have a deficit of skills.

I was interested to hear Brian Carroll's interview with Will O'Callaghan on the radio. The hurling pathway proposes better education for development squad coaches and for club coaches. It had identified deficiencies in the way very young children are being coached, and proposes the provision of education to club coaches in this regard.

It will, naturally, take a generation or more for those young players to reach adulthood. but the damage has been done, the rest of the hurling world have moved on, and young Offaly hurlers are no use to an inter-varsity squad. Hopefully the hurling Pathway can be delivered upon. There is no other way.
private joker wrote:When the foundation of a house is all wrong you don't worry about the roof. Get the club and under age in order and then worry about Senior. Without underage success you will not have senior success. A big name manager can only do so much. The talent has to be there to work with. Look at the last two results in the leinster club championship. Both coolderry and Rynaghs were destroyed once out of offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

kaiserchief wrote:I dont think club hurling in Offaly is too bad when compared to other counties. And the introduction of Senior B will remove the meaningless games..i.e kkvs shamrocks, lusmagh, coldiagh gaels etc... and thus make it more competitive

Think I was at a different game than you. Coolderry where not destroyed by Cuala, who where deserved winners and are knocking on the door for all ireland and StRynaghs played oulart with half a team nearly and the other half still celebrating their first county title.

I agree the foundations need to be developed stronger, a lot stronger. I was dissappointed to see the message that the management of the underage teams that did so well last and had 3 months strength and conditioning done also have not been put in place for 2017 yet. A pure disaster if true. I was at both minor semi finals and finals and the hurling, skill and talent in all 3 was of an excellent standard.

I was more commenting for the short term, to keep our heads above water, to ensure the youth of today wont be playing christy ring. Not saying that if every hurler was available for selection we would be winning trophies, but i reckon we would be in a better place than we are now. And I also bet you if Davy Fitz or Dj Carey was ringing Conor Mahon, Colin Egan, Chris McDonald, Dan Currams, etc in the morning asking them into the panel, we would be in a better place.

Only my opinion!!
Sorry buts that just shows you. Head in sand.
Cuala 1 23 coolderry 12 points.
Oulart 2 -13 rynaghs 9 points.
Ballyea first time ever winners in an all Ireland final. Coolderry were wiped of the floor. Rynaghs a reflection on senior set up. Celebrate. Move on. win. Shows the immature attitude within offaly to be a success in modern sport.

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Aye, you'd be a great lad to have. First item on the agenda being to run away. No one need depend on you for anything.
shamlads wrote:It's called people power,what offaly were good at.it may be a drastic measure to oust the power.s that be,in their cushy number behind their desk's twiddling their thumb's.well one thing is for sure,nothing will ever change if people are of the same mindset as you.cb sympathiser?????
another sympathiser.prob related to one of the power's.mind would anyone go against the hierarchy.and thats exactly why offaly are where their at.with your mindset your as good as what is at the top.and they have done a wonderful job aint they???