2017 Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by jimbob17 »

It's one thing beating likes of Westmeath and laoise narrowly in Walsh cup. It's a whole other thing to be beating meath and kildare narrowly. I'd dear we are slipping further and will be lucky to stay in division 1b this year. Will be between ourselves and kerry I reckon to stay up.
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

What sort of a team had we out again Kildare? Never thought I'd see in my life time an Offaly team struggle against Kildare and Meath teams even if it is just the Walsh cup!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Its only the walsh cup but if kidare can score 2-20 against us, what would the big team put past us ?
I wonder will K Ryan react and play with a sweeper or will he go back to the clubs to see can he get lads in to plug the holes.
Is there any hope of Eanna Murphy Joe Bergin Gary Kelly C Egan S Kinsella and C Mahon coming back i feel we need their physical strength around the field .
Its early day lets hope thing improve from here on .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly really are at a all time low. Years of neglect of the development of future hurlers is really coming home to roost. It will be a long time before offaly make any sort of an impact in any compitition at County level.
A lot of people within the county really have been asleep at the wheel when it comes to GAA and it's development, and the implementation of any sort of worthwhile plan.
Chris Ring hurling will be a real prospect within next 5 years.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

5 years, are you kidding me. We are lucky to still be there. Correct me if I am wrong but had we lost to Carlow last year in round Robin, we were down in Christy ring? Think we came from 5 or 6 down to win narrowly. Getting out of round robin just adds one year to eventual drop. We would struggle to win Christy ring in my opinion the way we are at moment.

That said some hope there that current minors can lift the tide a little. Sure as hell need something to lift spirits.
jimbob

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

kingscounty wrote:What sort of a team had we out again Kildare? Never thought I'd see in my life time an Offaly team struggle against Kildare and Meath teams even if it is just the Walsh cup!
This sums up a lot of the Offaly attitude at the present time. Many people feel that because of the success in the 80s and 90s that it is a given that Offaly hurling is above certain counties no mattter what level of work is put in. This is part of the problem. Until everyone realises that they have no divine right to anything then the fall from grace will continue.

Kildare hurling has improved in recent years. Celbridge very nearly won Leinster Intermediate club c'ship this year against a battle hardened Carrickshock of Kilkenny and very few Offaly teams would beat that Carrickshock team. Offaly were just lucky Kildare were without their best hurler Gerry Keegan. They could have got a right trimming.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Gerry is a serious hurler, as are the Reidy brothers and John Mulhall. Offaly could do woth them..

The day of division 2 league and Christy Ring are coming closer and closer.

allstar2010
All Star

Re: 2017 Walsh Cup

Post by allstar2010 »

Let's be positive, unbeaten in walsh cup 2017. Congrats lads! :D :D

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote:
kingscounty wrote:What sort of a team had we out again Kildare? Never thought I'd see in my life time an Offaly team struggle against Kildare and Meath teams even if it is just the Walsh cup!
This sums up a lot of the Offaly attitude at the present time. Many people feel that because of the success in the 80s and 90s that it is a given that Offaly hurling is above certain counties no mattter what level of work is put in. This is part of the problem. Until everyone realises that they have no divine right to anything then the fall from grace will continue.

Kildare hurling has improved in recent years. Celbridge very nearly won Leinster Intermediate club c'ship this year against a battle hardened Carrickshock of Kilkenny and very few Offaly teams would beat that Carrickshock team. Offaly were just lucky Kildare were without their best hurler Gerry Keegan. They could have got a right trimming.
You talk about Celbridge an intermediate team at best nearly winning a game, are you forgetting our club teams over the past number of years were winning Leinster titles and contesting all Ireland finals!! We don't as any team in the country done have a divine right to win any game but by God if your telling me that we can get a team of 15 players good enough to beat Kildare handy then we are rightly fucked

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Kingscounty i agree totally
Sunday was the walsh cup .
Last year Kerry beat us in the league in birr but when it mattered a few weeks later we got the win.
I think we need experence down the spine of the team and build the team around them.
1 J Demsey
3 E Murphy
6 C Egan
9 S Ryan
11 C Mahon
14 J Bergin
15 S Dooley

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

sam88885a wrote:Kingscounty i agree totally
Sunday was the walsh cup .
Last year Kerry beat us in the league in birr but when it mattered a few weeks later we got the win.
I think we need experence down the spine of the team and build the team around them.
1 J Demsey
3 E Murphy
6 C Egan
9 S Ryan
11 C Mahon
14 J Bergin
15 S Dooley
Colin Egan has opted out for the year as you know. Conor Mahon has not joined the panel. James Dempsey is still in goal. Kesh is right, we have no divine right to beat any team based on past achievements 20 to 30 years ago.
Offaly have declined in hurling terms, and other counties have improved over the years. Any future success will take a while to achieve and will be based on developing under age teams to compete and be successful.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Sam can you please stop talking about players that are not on the panel, they're not there for whatever reason so stop talking about them. Concentrate on who is there and give them they support.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Sam puts in a team every few weeks on this site with the same players who aren't near the panel for whatever reason on the team. Not only is it laughable but it's highly annoying.

Offaly are where they are for plenty of reasons, worrying is the fact Joe begin S Dooley S Ryan competed and played hurling at County and club level at a fair standard.
The lads we have now are under serious pressure as they are nowhere near the mark.
We will be in Christy ring in the next 5 years fact!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Lets be positive most of this years panel got to the lenster u21 final last year and we are unbeaten in the walsh cup this year.
We should have a proper training facility later this spring .
We have a new managment and hopefully they can get these lads to hurler to their potental and get decent preformances in 2017 .
i think we all be happy with a team of lads that are well drilled and play with spirit and results will look after themselves .
I think we can we need to be carefully not to overuse like B Connelly C kiely and O kelly who are all still u 21 otherwise they be retired at 26 .
i think if we get 4 real leader down the spine of the team, thing could fall into place .Hopefully

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

greenairfield sorry for annoying u
its frustrating to see so many guys in their prime at 27 not involved .
Something must be wrong maybe we bringing guys too early
Eamon Kelly expressed the same frustration last year

Best of luck to the lads involved