Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by kaiserchief »

Went ok, that doesnt sound promising.

So does that means lads are not making themselves available?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:Went ok, that doesnt sound promising.

So does that means lads are not making themselves available?
I told Sundays training had to deferred because only around a dozen player of those asked in could make it ,
Im told guys only got texts on saturday ,so it was very short notice.
Not sure whether the story is correct, it could be total rubbish.
Im told 36 guys were called in ,most are really young lads,lots of u 21 and that last years u21 managment picked the squad , how true that is either i dont know.
It early days we dont have selectors in place yet.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Just terrible. Hope they are not forgetting the best 23 - 30 year olds. Senior hurling is for men, not unproven young lads who were only average at underage level. If this is line they are taking, I'd fear greatly for the year ahead. Ryan needs to consult with people who know the hurling scene especially those good enough that are not u21s.
jimbob

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

jimbob17 wrote:Just terrible. Hope they are not forgetting the best 23 - 30 year olds. Senior hurling is for men, not unproven young lads who were only average at underage level. If this is line they are taking, I'd fear greatly for the year ahead. Ryan needs to consult with people who know the hurling scene especially those good enough that are not u21s.
I trust that the panel picked is just an initial "Training-Panel". Surely whenever the selectors are appointed they will select the panel for the Walsh Cup & League. Difficult to understand the delay in appointing the selectors as Offaly are almost 4 months out of the championship!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Sharp Eye wrote:
jimbob17 wrote:Just terrible. Hope they are not forgetting the best 23 - 30 year olds. Senior hurling is for men, not unproven young lads who were only average at underage level. If this is line they are taking, I'd fear greatly for the year ahead. Ryan needs to consult with people who know the hurling scene especially those good enough that are not u21s.
I trust that the panel picked is just an initial "Training-Panel". Surely whenever the selectors are appointed they will select the panel for the Walsh Cup & League. Difficult to understand the delay in appointing the selectors as Offaly are almost 4 months out of the championship!!!
I heard Kevin Ryan on midlands radio on sunday and he explained that he was in no rush appointing selectors ,he wants to get the best people on board.
that seems fair enough to me even if the walsh cup is only a month away .

They things that i was surprised at is that Gary Longwood involvement seems to be as an adviser to Kevin Ryan and he wont have any real involvement with the team .
Kevin Ryan wont be part of the U21 managment .
Paul Flynn will only be doing a few sessions with the team.

Kevin Ryan said he and the County Board wants to continue with the work that E Kelly did last year and he seems to want to produce a very young athletic team, using modern methods and Sport science .
He not interested in what played have done in the past .
He has not seen offaly club hurling, just a dvd of the county final and the St Rynagh game against Oulart , but thinks by this time next year he will have a good idea whats out there .
He seem to have a 3 or 4 year plan and he has a preferred game plan but he didnt tell us want it was .
I wonder did any one else hear the interview and what u got from it?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Heard it. My worry was that panel selected primarily by u21 management with over 12 u21 players involved. On law of averages, how many of these can be good enough. A manager should not need an advisor (from rugby base) for a county hurling team in my opinion. Has he not enough experience to be knowing what to do? Can only imagine cost bringing that man down from north. Would Cody entertain this kind of racket? That is whyRyan is being paid. Forgive me if I am wrong but when did offaly gaa hurling especially become so insecure. Needed to hire outside man to hire outside man last year. Sometimes you just got to start backing your own people and judgement. Other wise, we will be in halfpenny place forever. He needs some good selectors and needs them quickly if they have any hope next year.
jimbob

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I couldn't imagine it could happen after 2015 and 2016 campaigns, things are actually getting worse..

Waste of time.. we will be looking for new solution in 2017

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I listened to Kevin Ryan's interview on the Radio3 Soundcloud thingy. Some interesting points made.

Kevin Ryan reported Gary Longwell's appointment is in the area of high performance and mental strength. Which makes that very interesting indeed and is I expect will bring a new angle to the motivational and mental strength side of things. Westmeath hurlers have engaged the highly rated Denis Coen in this role fir a couple of years now and it it good to see Offaly recognising the need to fill this gap. Ryan mentioned the time he brought Antrim's 'B' team down to play Offaly in the league in advance of a relegation play-off a week later. He seems to be well aware of Offaly's psychological difficulty playing teams who they perceive to be 'below' them.

Of course, Offaly hurling is like Bobby McGee's lover in the song - they'd give all their tomorrows for another yesterday. I'd have my doubts about picking 'selectors' to stand on the sideline in top boots proposing changes and taking votes. I'd prefer if Kevin Ryan's assistants shed the top boots and played an active role in coaching or training. Why not be progressive in this regard? Why not always be looking backwards and picking selectors because we always did. And at this stage it looks like Kevin Ryan is looking at this angle.

And I like the "hurlers gotta hurl" line, and that hurlers would be encouraged to use their intuition on the field.

Early days yet, and it's easy talk, but I won't be rushing to judgment for a while yet.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Of course, Offaly hurling is like Bobby McGee's lover in the song - they'd give all their tomorrows for another yesterday. .

Best.Line.Ever. :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Best exaggeration ever by you, KS, though the sentiment is appreciated by me nonetheless. GRMA.
Keyser Soze wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Of course, Offaly hurling is like Bobby McGee's lover in the song - they'd give all their tomorrows for another yesterday. .

Best.Line.Ever. :lol:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I listened to Kevin Ryan's interview on the Radio3 Soundcloud thingy. Some interesting points made.

Kevin Ryan reported Gary Longwell's appointment is in the area of high performance and mental strength. Which makes that very interesting indeed and is I expect will bring a new angle to the motivational and mental strength side of things. Westmeath hurlers have engaged the highly rated Denis Coen in this role fir a couple of years now and it it good to see Offaly recognising the need to fill this gap. Ryan mentioned the time he brought Antrim's 'B' team down to play Offaly in the league in advance of a relegation play-off a week later. He seems to be well aware of Offaly's psychological difficulty playing teams who they perceive to be 'below' them.

Of course, Offaly hurling is like Bobby McGee's lover in the song - they'd give all their tomorrows for another yesterday. I'd have my doubts about picking 'selectors' to stand on the sideline in top boots proposing changes and taking votes. I'd prefer if Kevin Ryan's assistants shed the top boots and played an active role in coaching or training. Why not be progressive in this regard? Why not always be looking backwards and picking selectors because we always did. And at this stage it looks like Kevin Ryan is looking at this angle.

And I like the "hurlers gotta hurl" line, and that hurlers would be encouraged to use their intuition on the field.

Early days yet, and it's easy talk, but I won't be rushing to judgment for a while yet.
I agree its early days but i thought Kevin Ryan said that Gary Longwood role was exaggerated and i also understand that Paul Flynn role is to be half a dozen hurling drills during the summer.
Time will tell ,hope he can get the best senior hurler involved ,unlike last year when we had a number of guys that couldnt make their club team.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I love the way the county board when announcing managers make out they have great coaches coming along with them
Paul flynn this year and remember Donal og under Sid, he apparently never went near any training sessions...

Boland and co are some liars

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

What about Liam Sheedy been E Kelly mentor ??
Might not be P Boland fault, guys know what to tell him when he interviews them.
There going to reinvent offaly hurling , have a professional approch and bring an outsider to change the current guys mindset into winners and so course get a hurling coach from a Hurling county to teach us how to hurl properly .
So dont blame him for his belief.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Bit off topic, have we many lads hurling colleges hurling this year? Great to see my own club man Eoghan Kelly Edenderry win a division two league final with the Garda College , Paudie Maher centre back on the team. From chatting with a few boys I think there is 4 or 5 lads from Offaly going to be hurling with the Garda College, Peter Bergin , Kinnity, Kevin Nugent Belmont the more young lads we get hurling in colleges the better.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

kingscounty wrote:Bit off topic, have we many lads hurling colleges hurling this year? Great to see my own club man Eoghan Kelly Edenderry win a division two league final with the Garda College , Paudie Maher centre back on the team. From chatting with a few boys I think there is 4 or 5 lads from Offaly going to be hurling with the Garda College, Peter Bergin , Kinnity, Kevin Nugent Belmont the more young lads we get hurling in colleges the better.
Will he have a team to hurl with next year or will Edenderry be fielding a team? I hear rumours of Gracefield/Edenderry combining does any one know?

Great to see Offaly hurlers on a colleges team hurling at a high level anyway - hopefully more to come