Hurling Team of Year 2016 & County Panel Prospects

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Hurling Team of Year 2016 & County Panel Prospects

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree. Put kiely @ 3 and Doughan at 6. There isn't too many men in the county as physical as them but neither are fit and it's easy to see that . This is what I would like to see start next year, assuming everybody is available

Dempsey

McDonald
Kiely
David king

Ben Connelley
Conor Doughan
Sean Coughlan

Sean Ryan
Thomas Gerarthy

Paddy Murphy
Conor Mahon
Shane Kinsella

Dooley
Oisin Kelly
Emett Nolan

Would be a solid mix of youth and experience both on the field but also on the bench.

I forget who it was earlier but having players like oisin mahon mentioned is ridiculous. He was sub goalie to Dempsey, sub goalie in under 21, sub goalie with kk n they played Murray in goals before him. It's not easy for the young chap but there is no sense mentioning himy.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I would go with something like this.

1.E Cahill / C Clancy ( I believe we need a new goalie who can pick out a pass from a puck put, while Dempsey is one of the best shot stoppers around his puck outs don't cut the mustard)

2. B. Connelley
3. C.kiely
4. O Toole/Green
5. S Coughlan
6. C Doughan
7. P Camon
8. G Kelly
9. P Gerathy
10 S Kinsella
11 S Dooley
12 P Murphy
13 J Bergin
14 O Kelly
15 E Nolan

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

You make an excellent point. Have said that about Dempsey for a long time but I don't think Clancy's up to scratch either. Cahill could be the best option.

Gazza is one the best club hurlers over last few years but not far from 30 n lacks fitness which would especially show at County level I think.

In general I think everyone is singing from one hymn sheet.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

mountainman wrote:
townman wrote:
sam88885a wrote:Townman I be worried about C Kiely at full back but all those are good to be there ,now pick the 15 subs .
i have seen Kiely win minor championships in offaly at fullback, i think they should give him a few years to grown into that poistion.

my 15 subs are, 16 C.Clancy 17. B.Leonard 18, D.Shortt 19. B.Watkins 20. P.Guinan 21. P.Geraghty
22. C.Egan 23. E.Cahill 24. G.Connelly 25. A.Tracey 26. S.Cleary 27. D.King 28. R.Hughes 29.S.Kinsella
30. T.Carroll.
townman, I would love to see what club matches you attended this year having that midfield ahead of number 27 28 and 29 on you'r subs, one of which was MOTM in the county final, the other two, frequent performers in Offaly jerseys last year. :?
well i think Mahon and Harding would be alot better than Kevin Connolly and Sean Ryan who hurl midfield a number of times last year. as for not putting MOTM in midfield and yes he was very good in the county final, but lets give the chap time he was sub off in the semil again k/k . and never got into it again Oulart.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Madness lads James Dempsey is one of the top keepers in the country. its not his fault offaly don't have a target or two to hit his puck outs to. we don't have a Gary Hanniffy or Johnny Dooley or Troy to hit puck outs to during games, the one thing offaly are lacking over the years are hurlers who are good in the air or like John Troy who could move the ball in the air or on the ground. lets remember this year Eamon Kelly played kilkenny in the league in nowlan park with Sean Ryan and Kevin Connolly, midfield i'a say Dempsey couldn't see either with Mick Fennelly and Conor Fogarthy in front of them.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Townman we have colin egan and joe bergin so your point is totally irrelevant!!!
We are on about taking a short puck out or putting it in a players hand 60 yards away, all other county keepers can do it he cant!!
Dempsey wouldn't make any of the top teams in the country!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Townman i agree we have struggled with guys that can win clear ball but J Dempsey puckouts are his weakness, his a great shot stopper. Conor Slevin might be worth a look at.
I think C Doughan and C Kiely could be great midfielders , both are good hurlers young and strong .
We could have E Murphy at full back ,with D Shortt at Center back which i think is his best position .Put C Mahon at center forward and C Egan at full forward .
Then build the team around them.
Look at Kilkenny Tipperary Galway Waterford , teams with 10 or 12 lads over 6 ft very fit mobile mature strong men and good hurlers.
I think we have enough guys that can be developed , lads like B Connelly S Kinsella O Kelly R Hughes E Nolan and P camon.
Imagine if we fielded a team like this
C Slevin
P Rigney
E Murphy
E Grogan
B Connelly
D Shortt
P Camon
C Kiely
C Doughan
D King
C Mahon
S Kinsella
E Nolan
C Egan
O Kelly
I think O Kelly E Nolan C Kiely C Doughan B Connelly P Rigney and E Grogan are under 22 so they all wont reach their peak for a few years yet .
Imagine having S Dooley J Bergin J Mulrooney and S Ryan to bring on as impact subs.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="greenairfield"]Townman we have colin egan and joe bergin so your point is totally irrelevant!!!
We are on about taking a short puck out or putting it in a players hand 60 yards away, all other county keepers can do it he cant!!
Dempsey wouldn't make any of the top teams in the country![/quote

so what your saying to be a good goalman you just have to be good at finding your teamate with your puck outs :roll: Dempsey is a good goalkeeper do you not remember him stopping kilkenny scoring about at least 9 goals in nowlan park under Sid a few years ago. as for Colin Egan and Joe Bergin catching been very good in the air if so they don't do it often enough once in a bluemoon isn't good enough.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Townman the point I am making and this is the only point : if Dempsey were from, Killenny, Tipp, Waterford, Galway, Clare,Limerick, Cork, he would not be in goals.

Is he a better shot stopper than some of the goalies for sure yes he is but the first thing these county managers look for is someone who can find a pass and is solid in the nets.
James is a brilliant shot stopper but his puck outs aren't of the level they need to be.

Then on to Egan and Bergin are they good in the air? yes, similar to Gary hanniffy and Johnny Dooley you make it out that the 2 lads use to catch every ball that is not the case and I am Birr man.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

I think the first thing we need is a few lads that can win a ball in the air! Cos the issue is not some much the accuracy of the puck outs/clearances as the inability of the targeted players to win possession.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

first_touch wrote:I think the first thing we need is a few lads that can win a ball in the air! Cos the issue is not some much the accuracy of the puck outs/clearances as the inability of the targeted players to win possession.
I agree that why i think we should try playing big lads like C Kiely C doughan in midfield but i also think that J Demspey needs to improve his accuracy from puckouts .
J Bergin is not great in the air for a big man , C Egan and C Mahon are much stronger .Thats why i think its suits both J Bergin and S Dooley to play off Egan and Mahon .

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

C Doughan and C Kiely would be ate alive at midfield. Wouldn't be able to cover the ground that needs to be covered at County level around the middle.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

greenairfield wrote:C Doughan and C Kiely would be ate alive at midfield. Wouldn't be able to cover the ground that needs to be covered at County level around the middle.
If they cant cover the ground at 20 and 21 ,we need to look at out physical training .

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

sam if a guy is slow naturally no matter how much physical training you do its not really going to make him fast, Kiely would work midfield possibly as he is fast just need more stamina running. Doughan would not he has to be centre back if anywhere.