B championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

B championship

Post by Toxicity234 »

Parting gift from P. Boland.
Senior b championship. Hurling
4 team down from senior and 4 team up from inter to make up a pointless championship all of it own.
Cause every hurler was to test themselves against team around them and not against the best in the county.
Cause hurlers don't want to improve in Offaly like kinnitty did this year. They want to win a b championship instead.

It was changed at the last min. Not sure how it work out now.

Main point is overall it will be less games for each club, so hurlers who want to hurl will be left with less games each year. Hurlers can't improve unless they play games and play better teams.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Re: B championship

Post by allstar2010 »

It's a great idea in fairness, more competitive matches instead of meaningless games. All teams at an even level and if their good enough the move up to the top 8, makes sense. What's the points having 4-5 teams fighting it out for relegation??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

You realise that clubs voted for this, yes?

Despite what some people may think, we don't actually have a dictatorship in this county.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Yeah. I do.
Maybe be time for a hurling county board and it good to see you defending your own club man.
The players i talk to last night don't want it. Particularly the young players that could be in intermediate teams who intermediate standard has been good in Offaly over the last 4 years. who will now be playing at a lower standard of hurling.

The original B Championship plan as told to me last night was for a stand alone Championship.

I believe Rynagh put forward a complete change to the structure of the B championship where they still have a chance of progressing into the Quarter finals.
I have less of an issue around that.
But again there no info about how this is going to work at all. I talk to 3 people who told be 3 completely different structure.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm not defending my own club man, in the sense that this was nothing to do with him. A proposal was put out there, and clubs voted for it. I do think that there is an issue with the fact that the clubs at the bottom end of the senior championship are utterly uncompetitive in games against teams like Rynaghs, Birr and KK, but my view would have been a weak group format that kept those teams in the senior championship, while still allowing them to compete for the Robbins Cup, would be ideal. That could have been in the form of one weak group of four, or a two group format where the perceived top six are on one side of the draw, and that group yields two semi-finalists and two quarter finalists, and another weaker group where the top two go into the quarters and the bottom two contest relegation.

I was part of a group that proposed something along these lines to the clubs of Offaly last year, and the clubs said no. That's democracy, and that is their right - I'd prefer to be on the wrong side of a democratic vote than the right side of a diktat.

I don't agree with this decision either, but again - democracy. As for players, well if they communicated to their club committees, and the clubs still went against them, then that's an issue for the clubs themselves.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

LS i think the senior B could work if there was two group of 4 ,with the top 2 teams going into the quarter finals and the second teams in both groups playing the bottom 2 teams in the senior A with the winners going through to the quarter finals .
It should give an edge to games .
Then the top 2 teams in each group in senior b play off to gain promotion and the bottom two teams in each group in senior A play off with the looser been regalated .
I Agree that this is democracy in action ,it may be bad for the intermediate championship as the big hurling clubs second teams are good enough to compete in the senior B but in general it could work .
Pity the chairman forgot about democracy when it came to appointing the hurling manager .Ignore what club say and tell them to appoint.

I Hear that the real reason that E kelly left was they Cb and he privately said last May that he had to get out quickly enough because of they county board and that he couldnt blame good club hurlers for not coming on board with the way thing were done .
Maybe Danny Owens is lucky and Kevin Ryan is the one we should feel sorry for>

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

sam88885a wrote:
I Hear that the real reason that E kelly left was they Cb and he privately said last May that he had to get out quickly enough because of they county board and that he couldnt blame good club hurlers for not coming on board with the way thing were done .
Maybe Danny Owens is lucky and Kevin Ryan is the one we should feel sorry for>
What ????????

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean......

Love how somebody tries to blame the Chairperson for a decision made by the clubs...........Tox: you will have to do better than that....

If the B is a standalone then the winners will play in Leinster Intermediate club which might strengthen our participation.......

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

me tink they crunchie board are lurkin afer demself agin an don care abuot Hurdlin nort a CilKormack.
a ate team chumpship mean they Weaker club nat getin hurting at a hi levl
tHEY pule ov horlers ta pick a crunchie panel off wil be smaler
It want help oFFalee herling .....its nat rite,

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

I think a B championship is a good idea and can help improve the standard of the championship in the long run. Look at football. All the teams in Senior B and Intermediate have realistic ambitions to win a championship at the start of the year. Can that be said of the hurling championship? If you look at the 8 teams in the senior championship 6/7 would have been aiming to reach a county final. I think an 8 team championship could be excellent. Similarly the bottom 4 in senior and 4 intermediate semi finalists would all aim for a county final in a B championship

I think we have to do something to try and improve the championship instead of maintaining the status quo. The current championships are boring and didn't produce many decent games, if it even produced one. Our results in Leinster are a proof to this.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I couldn't agree more with what ditch hurler has said.

It should run as one group, seven games. Top 4 semi-finals based on finishing position. Bottom two relegation.
There should be plenty of competitive games, with something to play for right to the end of the group, be it seeding position, qualifying or avoiding relegation. It takes 9 games to complete, only one more than present, we had a thirteen week break this year, along with a gap of 9 weeks from the end of the groups up to the co. Final
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

joe bloggs wrote:I couldn't agree more with what ditch hurler has said.

It should run as one group, seven games. Top 4 semi-finals based on finishing position. Bottom two relegation.
There should be plenty of competitive games, with something to play for right to the end of the group, be it seeding position, qualifying or avoiding relegation. It takes 9 games to complete, only one more than present, we had a thirteen week break this year, along with a gap of 9 weeks from the end of the groups up to the co. Final
Do you want plenty of games, or do you want competitive games? Because you can't have both. Competitive comes from a situation where it really hurts your chances of winning a championship if you lose - and if you go in the eight team group format, then clubs know that they can lose three games and will still almost certainly make the knockouts. Consequently, there isn't a hope in hell of a game between any of the big guns being at anything more than 50% in the early rounds. If I'm the manager of KK or Rynaghs, then I'm gearing my training for September because I know that it's 50/1 that I miss out on the knockout stages in this format. If I play another championship contender in May, am I showing my hand? Am I hell.

What happens in reality in groups this large is that the bigger clubs go through the motions until they lose a couple of matches, then they start to take it seriously. The smaller clubs know that they can't sustain a big push for that long, so they target a handful of games that they can win, and write off a few of them as lost before they even start.

The real farce in all this is that we've had all this already. We watched the schyte that was the SFC group stages in 2015 - and for some reason that I can't fathom, clubs want to go back to it. Last year I watched the following:

(1) A senior championship game with a total of 58 people in attendance. I counted.
(2) A senior championship game where one club brought 16 players in total.
(3) A senior championship game where one club had two players missing because they were on holiday - BECAUSE THE MANAGER TOLD THEM TO GO THAT WEEK. It was a game that he knew the club couldn't win, so they told the players that they could head away if they wanted to. Those that were left would fulfil the fixture.

That year, there was one round of games in April when everyone was a bit rusty. In the next four rounds, there were 16 games played. The average winning margin in those 16 games? Nearly 12 points. Five games were decided by 20 points or more.

It was drivel - pointless stuff that meant nothing, and had less intensity than league games I'd watch here in Roscommon. It'll break my heart if the Offaly hurling championship - which up until this year, was invariably packed with good games - shoots itself in the foot by doing the same thing.

Ask yereselves this - lots of counties have tried groups of more than six teams in their championships, yet as of now, no-one has stuck with them. Does anyone have any reason why that might be????

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Offaly hurling is going down a slippery slope, finally we have a championship which is like most other championships around the country.

It also means the league will start been more competitive too and it's not just like a training session for some teams.

Why people want big groups of teams need there head examined.
It's the big 4 again next year for me too reach the semis. anyway.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

St Rynaghs suggestion has the Senior A championship having 8 teams in one group with 6 teams qualifying for Q-Finals.

So LS could you please explain to me how that will lead to more competitive games?? Farcical stuff.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote:St Rynaghs suggestion has the Senior A championship having 8 teams in one group with 6 teams qualifying for Q-Finals.

So LS could you please explain to me how that will lead to more competitive games?? Farcical stuff.
I never said it would. Eight teams in a group would lead to pedestrian hurling that would set us back years, I've always said that and all the evidence backs that up.

I can't get my head around it - nowhere in Ireland is league competition more derided than in Offaly, so what are we doing? Trying to turn our championships into leagues as well. It's daft carry on.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

What's wrong with 2 groups of 4. Top 2 into semi like the football. More competitive games and less waste of time games. Simple!