Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Pull yourself together before you meltdown entirely.
Your favourite man didn't get the job for whatever reasons, now you're putting the knife into the new man before he has even gotten the keys to his new Ferrari.

Rodgie
Junior B

Post by Rodgie »

Not sure what to think tbh. My first reaction was why get a man from outside the county that wouldn't have at least of a moderately successful pedigree. It would be better imo to go for guys involved within Offaly even if their experience at inter county level was limited. In this situation we have neither got a high profile manager like Liam Sheedy or a strong manager that knows the Offaly club scene. When you have time to digest this appointment it seems to be more about the fact Ryan has been involved with other counties at this level. The reality is, whatever about the money side of things, he hasn't made any real progress in either Carlow or Antrim. However, Now that he has been appointed he needs support as every man deserves a chance. It would be wrong not take a wait and see approach as Ryan is probably a very good hurling man and he may get a response out of our players. The quality of his coaches is of course the most important ingredient. Flynn will bring experience as a great player but it does not always follow into coaching. They need a strong backroom team to make this work. One thing I would like to know, if anyone can shed some light on it, is what other guys were interviewed for the job ? I believe not all possible candidates was considered.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Tox, TOX... and breath!! It's ok man, not end of the world.

Let's not slate them until at least this time next year, give them a chance.

I, like you don't agree with the appointment but give them a chance at least. More important things to worry about in the county than the senior management.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Tox I am sure Owens was not going to do it for free!!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Can't be calling a lad a cunt or a wanker , that's a terrible attitude. Fair give out but at least wait till we see some results then lay into everyone

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

As appointments goes, it's a match-up for both parties. There is scope for modest progress for both Offaly and Ryan- as has been pointed out, the likelihood of getting in a big 'stellar' name was never on. If you look at the pecking order, Offaly have extricated themselves from the round robin, and are now above Antrims, Carlow, Kerry, should be aiming to put distance between themselves and Laois, but the next step up is the big one. A few years ago, there wasn't much between Wexford and Offaly, but it's obvious that a run of strong u21 teams has boosted Wexford, hence Davy Fitz now at the helm. Arguing whether Ryan is a good appointment now or not relative to internal candidates or not is just venting at this stage: he has intercounty experience, and judging his management skills based on those counties is subject to what was at his disposal each time, and did they reach/ exceed/ fall short of expectations? The worry would be the cost of this management at the expense of grassroots/ underage development, so I understand Tox's concerns fully. It's going to be a long game to catch into Wexford (Cork are unlikely to sink much more), and that gets you to the plateau with Limerick and Dublin. To reach that plateau, Offaly will have to start producing consistently competitive teams- two competitive u21 teams in succession, last year's minors were competitive under Ned O'Connor, and so forth. Bickering and sniping over who should or shouldn't be in or out from within the county should be cognizant that Offaly have been hovering in the twilight zone between the round robin counties and the 'established', and that there is a very big gap between them. Being ambitious and forward-thinking is important, but not to move into deluded territory. Being pragmatic and realistic is important, because tangible steps are achievable. Last year got Offaly out of the round robin. That was the minimum expectation, and that was achieved. The next steps are the precursor to the big leap- hopefully Ryan and his management team can achieve these, and if the underage conveyor belt produces players capable of improving the seniors further, then Offaly will be on the right road.
I hope...

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sorry, Soory
I'm out of control here.
The problem here for me is i know lads that have trained under Ryan and lets just say it's not good.
The other issue is i got told how much Kelly got last year and how much Ryan is due to get, That not helping.
I also know that Ryan was APPROCHED for the Offaly job in order to stop another person be put forward. Ryan didn't come looking for the job.
We have a committe appointed to stop people get a job that want the job. they have gone out of the way to make sure they have a different name to put forward.
We heard this morning that no one knew this was coming. Two other Coaches were approched over the last 2 weeks to make sure appointment was anyone but someone.

We appointed another Christy Ring Coach. that appears to be what were targarting. I have a huge issue with that. Boland is trying to get us down to Christy Ring level not up to Liam McCarthy standard.
Again give the job to Kirwan and forget Owens. Or someone that give a shit about Offaly hurling and has done a good job managing a club.
Don't leave a lad find out on the Radio Like Hogan did a few years ago that he didn't get the job.

Complete wrong appointment for Offaly.
Ryan hasn't seen any Offaly hurling. so Someone will pick the panel for him. So were fucked from the start.

I want an OFFALY CLUB MANAGER to step up and Someone who Know and loves offaly and has seen our players in 2016.
Ryan has the same CV as Kelly that went Well didn't it.

The Kelly thing He walk away stating that it was the Offaly Player Fault and he could give the time and then goes and apply for other jobs. That to me is acting like a ( you can insert your own word int here)

It's a Money Game. Hurling is Dead in the county.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Rodgie
Junior B

Post by Rodgie »

substandard wrote:As appointments goes, it's a match-up for both parties. There is scope for modest progress for both Offaly and Ryan- as has been pointed out, the likelihood of getting in a big 'stellar' name was never on. If you look at the pecking order, Offaly have extricated themselves from the round robin, and are now above Antrims, Carlow, Kerry, should be aiming to put distance between themselves and Laois, but the next step up is the big one. A few years ago, there wasn't much between Wexford and Offaly, but it's obvious that a run of strong u21 teams has boosted Wexford, hence Davy Fitz now at the helm. Arguing whether Ryan is a good appointment now or not relative to internal candidates or not is just venting at this stage: he has intercounty experience, and judging his management skills based on those counties is subject to what was at his disposal each time, and did they reach/ exceed/ fall short of expectations? The worry would be the cost of this management at the expense of grassroots/ underage development, so I understand Tox's concerns fully. It's going to be a long game to catch into Wexford (Cork are unlikely to sink much more), and that gets you to the plateau with Limerick and Dublin. To reach that plateau, Offaly will have to start producing consistently competitive teams- two competitive u21 teams in succession, last year's minors were competitive under Ned O'Connor, and so forth. Bickering and sniping over who should or shouldn't be in or out from within the county should be cognizant that Offaly have been hovering in the twilight zone between the round robin counties and the 'established', and that there is a very big gap between them. Being ambitious and forward-thinking is important, but not to move into deluded territory. Being pragmatic and realistic is important, because tangible steps are achievable. Last year got Offaly out of the round robin. That was the minimum expectation, and that was achieved. The next steps are the precursor to the big leap- hopefully Ryan and his management team can achieve these, and if the underage conveyor belt produces players capable of improving the seniors further, then Offaly will be on the right road.
I hope...
Excellent post substandard. However, I do think at this present time we needed someone with local knowledge of both the club scene and the emerging talent to keep Offaly on the path to recovery. You are right in that we were never going to attract a stellar outside manager given both our current status and finances. If you take Wexford as you acknowledged they had a successful run at u21 level for three years. This was managed by JJ Doyle while their seniors had Liam Dunne. Wexford are further advanced because these men are native to the county and had in depth knowledge of all Wexford players. Yes it wasn't all plain sailing for them but Dunne in particular fought tooth and nail to improve things from within as he is a true and true wexford man who wasn't going to leave at the first sign of trouble aka Eamon Kelly. I would love to see a top class outside manager involved but for me a solid cost effective internal group would be a better fit right now. Kelly in fairness laid out a professional platform, he was wrong to drop out so quickly but then again he is not an Offaly man and most likely wasn't motivated to the same extent as a native. I hope Ryan is a strong character that's sees this as a time to develop our players at both u21 and senior. Here's hoping he brings Offaly to the next level with the support of the entire county.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Tox the shit that comes out of ur mouth is quite horrific...

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

lads the truth is that counties like ourselves in laois and yourselves in offaly are not attractive to the top coaches, we are however seen as cashcows to the transient journey men coaches.
to put you in a crystal clear picture, an inter county manager/coach, was managing a team in the round robin series in 2016(nor offaly, so one of the other 3)....for his services, he received a brand new car to drive and a sum in excess of 45,000. and the county involved would have expectations much lower than LX or OY.

so, the story is that all of these managers know the going rate, and the red herring of complaining about cost is best forgotten. in places some club managers are receiving just as much without half the pressure on their job.

as managerial appointments go, I am happy enough with Kelly getting the Laois job..the 2 alternatives in for the job were Kirby and Tj Ryan, neither of which I would have fancied.

Kevin Ryan to my mind is a bad fit for Offaly. Yes he has intercounty managerial experience, though I am reliably informed he would never get close to managing his own county. I regard him a bad fit for Offaly, because all of his game plans revolve around 7 and 8 man masse defences, with 5 or 4 forwards..........this system does not work with offaly teams. Your teams have always been much more dangerous going man to man.

I did not think danny owens was the solution for offaly, I would agree that him or Kirwan would get a better tune, albeit for a short time cycle, out of the current squad, than Ryan and Flynn are likely to.

I can understand the logic of laois appointing Kelly, I see no logic in OY appointing Ryan.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

2017 seems to be over before it begins..

We will just have to wait for Boland to leave the building and hopefully new blood will see sense.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I was over the the top earlier. I sorry.
I didn't mean to make it personal with Ryan, Kelly and Flynn.
I still stand by my comment that this is a poor choice as a managerment team.
Spending money on two lads to drive from Waterford, Instead of using some who has seen a Offaly Club game ever.
“Common sense is not so common.”

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

As a carlow man i would have the height of respect for Kevin Ryan as a coach/manager. Won us promotion, a christy ring, we defeated wexford in national league for first time in i dont know how long and had other decent results. He made us competitive anyhow with a reasonably talented bunch of hurlers. I know lots of players who have the height of respect for him down here anyhow and he wont take any sh1t from lads. As for looking at club games, do you think davy fitz seeing the wexford semis/final will qualify him enough to manage them?? 3 matches?? The best hurlers know doubt will be asked in - its not rocket science in most counties and rarely are you going to miss out on talented lads with a good attitude. Jayus you could pick it off reading this site!! Thats my piece on it anyhow! Ps i have had a pint or 2 with the man too in my time and a few chats due to a mutual club friend of ours. He is 100% a hurling man and he has v little distractions other than hurling. I hope he works out well for ye.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

I have no doubt that Kevin Ryan is a good hurling man and I am somewhat reassured by Old Yellar's positive comments, given his knowledge of Carlow hurling. However, could anyone outline to me what Ryan brings to the manager position compared to Danny Owens? Particularly as he will be charging more in travel expenses.

Also does anyone know what Paul Flynn's track record is as a coach? What teams has he coached and what have they achieved (not simply in terms of titles but in terms of improved performance)? I would be concerned if he was hired simply because he was a star forward in his day.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Ryan is now our manager so the big questions are
1 Who are going to be his selectors? G Cahill has a lot to offer in my opinion but I wouldn't have McDonald near the team after last year.What about M Duignan K Martain or D Owens????
2 What style will K Ryan want us to Play?? Short passing running game or more direct traditional game? Tip went more traditional last year and it was a huge success.
3 Can K Ryan get most of our best hurlers to hurl for offaly in 2017 championship?? S Coughlan E Murphy and C Mahon would be 3 guys that are vital in my opinion.
Does he know our best hurlers?? I guess he struggle to name 15 offaly hurlers so it important that whoever is selector have the respect of the best players from all clubs.
I have a concern that K Ryan will play with 8 backs in a damage limitation approach .