Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by private joker »

For the second in a row the offaly champions have been will beat in the leinster championship. Shows what Senior county mgt have to work with. Offaly hurling is on a par with laois and westmeath. No more no less.. See the offaly intermediate champion s lost to the meath champions.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

timber wrote:Rynaghs were shocking poor today. Some of their striking was junior standard. The short game they play is both frustrating and horrible to watch.

Tthought a few of the players heads was not in it today and didnt go full blooded at oulart who are pretty flakey when its put to them.

Its another sign of where hurling standards are at in the county.
This was nothing to do with the style of hurling, and everything to do with the fact that they were short a lot of key hurlers, going away from home to a team that is one of the front runners to win the All Ireland. Mentally there was a complete lack of belief there, and you could see that in the way they were utterly unable to fight for their own ball, low or high. They got demolished in the physical exchanges (which was further evidence that long ball hurling wouldn't have suited them) and that was the sign of a team that knew that they weren't in a position to put their best foot forward in the competition.

It's disappointing but it happens every year in the club championships when clubs realise that they aren't in a good place to drive on and keep the season going.

Clodiagh Gaels' loss to Ratoath would be far more disappointing in my opinion. They should have been good enough to win that with a bit to spare.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Was at that Clodiagh Gaels game over the weekend. There were a number of factors in that game that that contributed to that defeat. Ratoath were very physical (almost Clara like) and the young Clodiagh Gaels side couldn't deal with it. Ratoath had their midfielder sent off on a straight red early in the first half. It was a mistaken identity. Every 50-50 call went to Ratoath from then on and it was a lot of frees that settled it for them. Clodiagh Gaels got the upper hand with 10 minutes to go and scored two goals to bring it back to two points with time up. Clodiagh Gaels had a goal ruled out for a square ball with the last puck of the game. There was nobody in the square as the ball came in and many of the Gaels supporters were furious and tried to confront the referee after the game. Not being biased but the goal should have stood and the Clodiagh Gaels should be winning a game like that confortably but it was not to be.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The supporters tried to confront the referee after the game? CG wont be much of an addition to the senior hurling championship if thats the carry on of their fans.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

hard luck to rynaghs always have a soft spot for dem since time spent up dere & not just the jersies! oullart a good team & battle hardened. cud hav been worse, imagine what deyd hav done to birr!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

frankthetank The supporters tried to vent their frustrations in other words. The ref did give them some going over for the biggest part of the game

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I would imagine Birr would of put up a better test considering Rynaghs were missing a few.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

greenairfield wrote:I would imagine Birr would of put up a better test considering Rynaghs were missing a few.
where you not at the same county final i was. They would have still beaten Birr with the lads they where missing on Sunday

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

100% would of not beaten Birr with Camon Quirke and Conneeley missing.

Take that lemon out of your mouth!!!

Ratoath Hurling
Junior C
Club: Ratoath

Post by Ratoath Hurling »

Just thought I'd give Ratoath's side of the game on Saturday.

Clodiagh Gaels' side may have been young, but most of the Ratoath side are under 25 also so it's not exactly an excuse to lack physicality.
Also, I'd very much dispute the assertion that every 50-50 went our way after the red card. Clodiagh Gaels also got a hell of a lot of frees but missed a lot of them, especially in the first half. One baffling decision made against us towards the end was the referee giving a free for a throw when it was a clearly legal hand pass (the player had his back to the referee so I don't know how he could have seen a throw).
For the disallowed goal, there were a lot of players in and around the square so I don't know how anyone can clearly say one way or another. What was clear was the square ball for Clodiagh Gaels' second goal. That goal stood however.

Clodiagh Gaels cannot blame the referee for the loss. It was more their profligacy from frees and wasting several gilt edged goal chances that lost it for them. After all, it was the Offaly intermediate champions playing against the Meath intermediate champions (who had 14 men for two-thirds of the game).

As for the Clodiagh Gaels fans at the end, nothing happened between them and the referee barring a couple of words here and there.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few thoughts on St Rynagh's v Oulart-The Ballagh.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Shorn of several leaders and just a fortnight after their domestic breakthrough, it is little surprise that St Rynagh's were unable to get themselves 'up' for this. What harm? None. It's been a great year for them, and they deserve all the plaudits and praise they have been afforded.

They played with seven defenders and five forwards in Wexford Park. Something Offaly teams ca't get the hang of. I'm not a fan either and I think you should defend from the front, with three full-forwards opposing three full-backs. Oulart's game plan is not unlike that of St Rynagh's, playing the ball through the hands, and St Rynagh's merely invited them to do just that by leaving unmarked Oulart defenders at the time of the home side's puckouts.

"Split them" is a frequent shout, where a player stands in between two opposition players. The outcome very often is that no-one gets marked and the goalkeeper has a choice of targets for his puckout.

And if St Rynagh's were going to oppose three full-backs with two full-forwards they needed a pair of runners in the front line. Ger Rafferty was the best fit if there were two others alongside him, and he should have lined out in the second-half but not the first. And the sweepers gotta sweep, sweep, sweep, by intercepting loose deliveries. A sweeper probably wouldn't work against a team like Oulart. St Rynagh's also needed to nail those early freetaking chances, needed to stay in touch, and capitalise on Oulart's poor tackling technique. Instead, Oulart's first goal put clear daylight between the two teams on the scoreboard.

The other thing that loomed large on my TV screen was the difference in body shape. Oulart evidently have much work done regarding upper body strength, something their opposition clearly haven't.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The Full list of Hurling Recipients winners:

Senior: Gary Kelly (St Rynagh’s)

Intermediate: Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)

Junior Hurling: Michael Monaghan (Clodiagh Gaels)

U21 Hurling: Conor Doughan (Shinrone)

Minor Hurling: Sean Duignan (Ballinamere/Durrow)

Camogie: Michaela Morkan (Shinrone)

Referee: Brian Gavin (Clara)

Congrats to all the winners.

Gary Kelly hurler of the year is well deserved, He had a great year.
But 3 years ago i expressed the opinion that Damien Kilmartin should have won this award and was told that Kilmartin couldn't win it as he wasn't on the Senior county panel.
I wonder when the rule changed??
“Common sense is not so common.”