Hurling Team of Year 2016 & County Panel Prospects

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Hurling Team of Year 2016 & County Panel Prospects

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:That is mental, he played 20 mins of the final in the forwards this year and never got a ball. Was one of the best wing backs all year.

Sean Dolan is a better choice in fairness.

Team looks solid enough there and if all available it would be a solid starting point for the incoming manager, along with lads who consisantly involved with county panels, Dooley, Bergin, King, Dempsey, C McDonald, C Egan.

Still no sign of a manager being put in place. Is there any update out there?
I was picking guys who stood out at club level this year .
I agree J Demsey C Egan D king S dooley J Bergin J mulrooney S Ryan and D Mooney will hopefully have a big role in 2017 along with the 15 guys i pick above . C Mc Donald will need to improve a lot to be there in my opinion.
C Kiely had a poor year by his standards but he had a few nasty injuries , he is only 20 and has huge potental in my opinion.
Will the new manager get C mahon D Currams B Leonard even K Grogan to come on board???/
We know we have hurlers now we need a manager that can unite them, if that happens we will have a decent team that shouldnt struggle against Kerry or westmeath.
The most important thing the new manager has to do is keep as many of our top club players on board and create a decent spirit within the camp .
In my opinion E Kelly and B Whelahan failed badly in that regard .
I think that the club fixtures work against the manager, he is picking guys on last years form, surely that change.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

You're talking about players being picked for 2017 on 2016 form because of the senior club championship structure yet you want Brian Leonard and Dan Currams on the panel?? Which means you want to pick players on 2014 form? Did you actually see Kilcormac/Killoughey hurl this year?

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

frankthetank wrote:You're talking about players being picked for 2017 on 2016 form because of the senior club championship structure yet you want Brian Leonard and Dan Currams on the panel?? Which means you want to pick players on 2014 form? Did you actually see Kilcormac/Killoughey hurl this year?
I did see kk this year and KK were way off their best but to be fair kk could have beaten St Rynagh in the semi final without hurling any where near their best . G Healion was a big loss but then to lose K Grogan was massive . K Grogan was really miss in those last 10 minutes .
KK are the only team to beat St rynaghs this year.
B Leonard and D Currams form has not been great , neither has C Kiely .
That my point if u picked a team on 2016 club form none of those 3 would make it yet any of those 3 could be hurler of the year next year if the regain their best form and hurl to their potental.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i got to see only 7 games so i not able to pick a team that were the best all year seen all quarter finals semil finals and finals. i think the way forward for the new manger is youth, and please god he will pick players in their right poistions which hasn't happen in offaly over the last few years,

players that i'd love to see in the offaly set up and who stood out in games i seen, are Oisin Kelly, Eoghan Cahill , Sean Coughlan, Connor Doughan, Ben Connelly, Gazza Kelly, Emett Nolan, Daniel Maloney,
add in Shane Dooley Joe Bergin and a few more we could have a good squad to work with.

lads looking for the likes of Kevin Grogan coming back won't happen and another thing was proved in this years championship Dan Currams has gone off the radar big time in the last two years, and i'd rather work at getting the likes of Stephen Quirke Gary Connelly, Sean Coughlan, back into the panel.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

How are lads so blind on this...We are miles off at senior intercounty level, the best 25 in the county and we would still struggle against the laois and the likes.Unfortunately that's the reality where we are at.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

greenairfield wrote:How are lads so blind on this...We are miles off at senior intercounty level, the best 25 in the county and we would still struggle against the laois and the likes.Unfortunately that's the reality where we are at.
Wouldnt necessarily agree with that. Our best properly trained and coached and motivated to play as a unit would be match for anybody. MY team would include 15 from the following 35 lads. The main thing with these is that physically they are capable of playing at the top level if trained right and all have good levels of hurling.

Too many lads that are just not at the level physically have been included over last number of years.

Might have left out one or two as oversight.

James Dempsey
K O Connor
C Slevin

Chris McDonald,
Brian Leonard
David Kenny if possible
Sean Coughlan
Dermot Shortt
Conor Doughan
Aidan Treacey
Paddy Rigney
Pat Camon
Ben Conneely
Daniel Maloney
Sean Ryan

C Kiely
E Nolan
S Kinsella
J O Connor
Ross Brady

Paddy Murphy
Gary Conneely
Gazzy Kelly
Conor Mahon
S Dooley
J Bergin
S Quirke
P Geraghty
R Hughes
T Carroll
B Murphy
E Cahill
Oisin Kelly
Eimhin Kelly

Other possibles include Conor Hernon, Niall Wynne
jimbob

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

I think one or two more deserve a mention for example Sean Gardiner and Paddy Delaney.. Also if Eoghan Cahill is to be involved with a Senior inter county setup I do not think it will be outfield.. He is a great free taker but doesn't offer much more.. Very good goalie however.. Also Aidan Tracey and Tom Carroll are average at best

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Cahill mixed is with the best this year outfield still think he would struggle as inter county though as he hasn't much pace..but give him the ball in hand he's probably the best forward to take a score after Brian Carroll in the county.

Looking at all the players people are naming most of them have been tried tested and failed don't know how people see offaly improving because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Cahill mixed is with the best this year outfield still think he would struggle as inter county though as he hasn't much pace..but give him the ball in hand he's probably the best forward to take a score after Brian Carroll in the county.
Eoghan is a very young hurler so he has a lot of time and scope to improve - and there's no doubt that if he does that, he'll play senior hurling for Offaly. Personally I'd like to see him go a lot easier on the flicks and ground pulls, which I've noticed he uses a lot. More often than not they just end in a turned over possession and for the sake of the few times it works, it's not worth the price. In the modern game it's all about getting the ball into your hand and then deciding what to do with it - you can be as crafty as you like then - but first, win the ball.

However in the general case, the idea that a player is a good hurler given the ball in hand is not really much use in the modern game. Fewer and fewer teams play old fashioned, 6-2-6 hurling and that number is going to drop even further in the coming years - that's the way ever sport went. Forwards have to get used to being able to win their own ball - either on the deck or in the air. Ideally both, but you certainly can't be an effective intercounty hurler (or footballer, for that matter) if you aren't at least middling when it comes to scrapping for a less-than-ideal delivery.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Now that we have a manager .Who should be on the panel ??
Here is my 30 in the form of Team A and Team B

Team A
J Demsey
B Connelly E Murphy E Grogan
C Doughan D Shortt C Kiely
G Kelly D King
P Murphy C Mahon S Kinsella
E Nolan C Egan O Kelly

Team B

K O Connor
N Wynne O Mahon P Rigney
P Camon A Tracy S Gardner
S Ryan D Mooney
S Dolan G Connelly R Hughes
J Mulrooney J Bergin S Dooley

I didnt include S Coughlan B Leonard K Grogan C Slevin or D currams because they were not involved last year .
There are young guys like O Cahill P Guinan C Molloy that will be involved but they need time to develope .
Who did i forget that should be there ????

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

would like to see this side get alash at it.

J.Dempsey
S,Coughlan C.Kiely S,Gardner
B.Connelly C.Doughan S.Ryan
C.Mahon B.Harding
O.Kelly J.Bergin P.Murphy
S.Dooley E.Nolan S.Quirke

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Townman I be worried about C Kiely at full back but all those are good to be there ,now pick the 15 subs .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:Townman I be worried about C Kiely at full back but all those are good to be there ,now pick the 15 subs .
i have seen Kiely win minor championships in offaly at fullback, i think they should give him a few years to grown into that poistion.

my 15 subs are, 16 C.Clancy 17. B.Leonard 18, D.Shortt 19. B.Watkins 20. P.Guinan 21. P.Geraghty
22. C.Egan 23. E.Cahill 24. G.Connelly 25. A.Tracey 26. S.Cleary 27. D.King 28. R.Hughes 29.S.Kinsella
30. T.Carroll.

mountainman
Junior C
Club: Kinnitty

Post by mountainman »

townman wrote:
sam88885a wrote:Townman I be worried about C Kiely at full back but all those are good to be there ,now pick the 15 subs .
i have seen Kiely win minor championships in offaly at fullback, i think they should give him a few years to grown into that poistion.

my 15 subs are, 16 C.Clancy 17. B.Leonard 18, D.Shortt 19. B.Watkins 20. P.Guinan 21. P.Geraghty
22. C.Egan 23. E.Cahill 24. G.Connelly 25. A.Tracey 26. S.Cleary 27. D.King 28. R.Hughes 29.S.Kinsella
30. T.Carroll.
townman, I would love to see what club matches you attended this year having that midfield ahead of number 27 28 and 29 on you'r subs, one of which was MOTM in the county final, the other two, frequent performers in Offaly jerseys last year. :?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

sam88885a wrote:Now that we have a manager .Who should be on the panel ??
Here is my 30 in the form of Team A and Team B

Team A
J Demsey
B Connelly E Murphy E Grogan
C Doughan D Shortt C Kiely
G Kelly D King
P Murphy C Mahon S Kinsella
E Nolan C Egan O Kelly

Team B

K O Connor
N Wynne O Mahon P Rigney
P Camon A Tracy S Gardner
S Ryan D Mooney
S Dolan G Connelly R Hughes
J Mulrooney J Bergin S Dooley

I didnt include S Coughlan B Leonard K Grogan C Slevin or D currams because they were not involved last year .
There are young guys like O Cahill P Guinan C Molloy that will be involved but they need time to develope .
Who did i forget that should be there ????

Will draw up a panel I'd feel will be competitive and pressure everyone for places.
1st named is my No 1 preference and beside would be competition with 3rd option in some places

Dempsey / Clancy / O Connor

Ben Conneely/Chris McDonnell / Moloney St Rynaghs Sean Coughlan / Dermot Shortt E Murphy / N Wynne / P Rigney

S Ryan / D Mooney Conor Doughan / A Treacey S Gardiner / P Camon

E Nolan / D King Gary Kelly (if Fit) / S Kinsella

Colin Egan / S Dolan / P Murphy Conor Mahon / Garry Conneely R Hughes / C Slevin / P Geraghty

S Quirke J Bergin / D Currams S Dooley / O Kelly

Others on outside but ones to be brought along would include younger lads included this year that need to develop physically
jimbob