Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by allstar2010 »

Has the makings of a good final, the two form teams are in the final. I think I'll go for Birr as well, just. It'll more than likely be a tight affair and that's why I think Birr will come out on top. If Rynaghs get off to a flier though they could win handy. Hard to believe it's 8years since Birr won one and 23 since rynaghs won!!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

It's Rynagh's year for me.
The team set up better than last year. I can't see Tracey following his man around the field and leaving a hole in the middle of the defence.
The only problem i see in Rynagh is Shortt at full back, Normal the rock for them but this year he not been at his best in my opinion. If Birr forwards can get ball in hand in front of him he give away frees this year.
He is well protected by his half back line.
Birr half back line is full of hurling. If they can get fast early ball into there forwards. they could do damage.
Looking forward to the game, hoping for a cracker.
Final score: Rynagh's: 1:20 Birr 2:16.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Looking forward to sunday, i expect a big crowd. Both club are hungry after a barren period for both clubs .
I think St rynagh have improved defensively this year ,A Tracy looks solid at center back but its B Connelly that has been the real star for me .He Really out hurler B Carroll is the quarter final and had a great semi final against kk , his switch onto J Gorman was a master stroke.
Birr have great pace inside but St Rynagh will play 7 defender and hope to run at birr .
I think birr had the easy side of the draw but this is a final and its against their biggest rivals so i expect birr to die in their boots on sunday but i think St Rynaghs will end their famine on sunday with a bit to spare.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Haven't been looking forward to a final as much in a long time.
Both teams are matched very evenly all over the field.
I have to go with Rynaghs though. Victory over KK in the semi, overall fitness and quality on the bench.
Hopefully it wont be like the football final and be over at half time.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Rynaghs to win with bit to spare. Will be a lot of birr lads wont be able for our running game. Twil be the start of few yrs of dominance.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Rynaghs to win with bit to spare. Will be a lot of birr lads wont be able for our running game. Twil be the start of few yrs of dominance.
I agree with you about Birr won't be able for the running game over the 60 mins but years of dominance.. i don't know about that now!!
Can't see Franny Forde being with Rynaghs for too much longer and he is key.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Point taken kaiser but reality is other clubs not up ta much. Most of them on way down rather than up. Fran Forde key yes but we should have won last yr to. Another good outsider would be glad to get us.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

A team that doesn't score for 20 minutes in a match is not a team that will dominate for years.
Birr have superior hurlers all over the field, birr win for me!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Rynaghs to win by 6-7 points for me on Sunday , hope its better fare than the scutter last Sunday !

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Rynaghs to win with bit to spare. Will be a lot of birr lads wont be able for our running game. Twil be the start of few yrs of dominance.
its the short passing and running game that have lost Rynaghs the last few county finals. Birr by 3 points for me.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman wrote:
its the short passing and running game that have lost Rynaghs the last few county finals. Birr by 3 points for me.
I disagree Rynagh lost last year because of a center back that forgot to do his job and protect his full back.This year A Tracy looks solid and with B Connelly there to mark R Hanniffy ,Birr could really struggle in the half forward line.
G Kelly made a big impact in the semi final ,im not sure that birr midfield will be able to contain him.
Birr full forward line need good quality fast ball ,if the get that birr should win but if the are made scrap ,birr will struggle.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

mattie Maloney and Niall Wynne will struggle to scrap for ball also and are not top notch forwards. i can also see Emmett Nolan going out centre forward on Aidan Tracey. Ben Connelly is a fine hurler but he will have his work cut out if Hanniffy has a good day, midfield is 50/50 Barry Whelehan is getting on in years but still his a hardy buck and Barry Harding is well able to hurl also. i can't see Rynaghs going 20 minutes without raising a flag again like the semil final. but you have to remember k/k lost two of their best backs Ger Healion and Kevin Grogan, anyway hope its a cracking final and both sides have great records in the lenister club hurling.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

3 years ago these teams faced each other in the semi final.

Clancy.
Moloney.
N Wynne
Shortt
Treacy
Camon
Hernon
O Connor
S Wynne
P Quirke
S Quirked

All played for St.Rynaghs that day and were beaten comfortably by 13 of the Birr starters this Sunday, don't know how anyone can see Rynaghs running away with it!!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

It'd be good for hurling to see a new team like Rynaghs win it.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

a lot can happen in three years greenairfield.
I don't think Rynaghs will run away with it and either does Paddypower. Handicap is -2 to Rynaghs and I would think that is just about correct.
Rynaghs will hardly start the same team as the semi final.
Surely Forde will start Hernon Quirke and Wynne??