Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by kaiserchief »

A full clear out will never happen but as Lonesherk said people who want change need to do something about it.

Can't wait for the final now. Hopefully will be a better game than last year.

Rodgie
Junior B

Post by Rodgie »

It will be an interesting county final because of one factor IMO. The ability of St.Rynaghs to handle the pressure associated with playing/winning a county final.? They have without doubt the strongest panel of players at the moment but as last year proved that doesn't guarantee success. I know previous posters laud Francis Forde as a coach but sometimes I'm not that sure. Do they have the ability to make crucial changes when required. Having said that they did show good resolve to squeeze past KK in the semi but it appears that psychologically, the nearer they get to the holy grail, the more mental frailties consume them. I hope I'm wrong because it would be a pity for this bunch of players not to win a county championship and that is not to say Birr don't deserve it equally. Birr will have no hang ups of county final day and Paddy Kirwan is a guy who can make clever calls from the sidelines. If St. Rynaghs learn to deal with the pressure and get a performance going then they should win this final. That is the question I'm waiting to see unfold.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kaiserchief wrote:A full clear out will never happen but as Lonesherk said people who want change need to do something about it.

Can't wait for the final now. Hopefully will be a better game than last year.
Why not run for a position on the county board yourself, show example.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Another county board supporter!!! I don't know where ye come out of it...its laughable!!

Involved with my own club is enough for me, trying to sort out the mess with them cowboys is not something that interests me.

I will throw stones instead thanks!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:I will throw stones instead thanks!!
Fair enough. Just don't be surprised then if the people you're throwing stones at decide they don't particular like the stone throwers.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If they don't want too do what's right for Offal hurling that's there choice!!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

(1) What you/other Birr members think is "right" for Offaly hurling doesn't automatically become the case.
(2) Have you ever met any other human beings, ever? Sure, in an ideal world, every decision should be taken in a cold, dispassionate light, with the facts of the situation examined and all the emotion and sentiment stripped away. Except people are human, and if a certain section of the GAA community in the county spends a disproportionate amount of time whinging and moaning about the county board, while offering little or no help at the top table, of course they're not going to win any friends.

It's called human nature, and here's how it works - to my mind, the facts have changed sufficiently over the past couple of seasons that I would be in favour of playing several games in SBP in 2017 - including the hurling league game against Wexford, and on a trial basis, the SHC semi-finals and final. We know the attendance figures for Tullamore, so lets give it a go and see how they compare in Birr. If they can get 5k+ for the semis and 7k+ for the final, then they've justified the decision. If not, we've tried, it didn't work, back to Tullamore we go. If it's around that mark, we alternate.

For people like Willie Rigney, Dave Bolger and Rory Hanniffy, who have done incredible work in getting Birr GAA club back on a positive track, I'd be delighted to see that happen. But then there's that human nature bit, where having to read schyte like your posts, making me out to have said things that I never did, would make me wish that the CB would tell Birr to get to feck and leave them alone.

So maybe if there was less mud slinging and more bridge building, ye'd be amazed what might happen.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

LS,

Why would a figure of 5k+ be needed at next year's semi-finals in SBP to justify their return to Birr? This years semi-finals drew just over 3,500 people to OCP so surely a figure of 4,000 or above is enough to bring the semi-finals back to Birr. And remember you have 3 of the biggest supporter bases in the county hurling wise making up that 3,500 figure. So for example if you replaced K/K with Coolderry in the semis next year and the other teams stayed the same a figure of 4,000+ would be quite impressive.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

greenairfield wrote:If they don't want too do what's right for Offal hurling that's there choice!!!
Greenfield: It might surprise you to know that there are Offaly people, me being one, who believe the County Senior Finals should be played in The County Ground.....

Back in my playing days I enjoyed a few games (football) in Birr, even won a couple of semi-finals there but O'Connor Park was , for me, the place I wanted to play Finals..

I see a mention that the attendance for the Hurling Semis was 3,500 ........... I was told on good authority, on the day, that the attendance was 5,000...... and that might be why that number was mentioned as a guide to what might make a suscessfull semi final day in Birr........ The actual amount , in cash, of the gate should also be compared and Offaly CB need lots of cash to continue & improve Development Suads, Coaching and of course the South Offaly Centre of Excellence in Kilcormack which is the best thing that has happened in the County since winning All Irelands...........

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

whats it 19 20 weeks since Eamon Kelly left his post still not a mention of a county manger, whats the story here, its all well and good getting big money at gates on match day, how about the county board go and spend abit of money and get a big name manger in for a change instead of getting ex kerry manger or a player who hurl with offaly in the good times. the club championship is over, where would a manger start about where to look at talent in the county, on hear say :oops:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Official attendance at Sunday's semi-finals was 4,526, as opposed to the 4,367 that attended last year's semi-final double header.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Isnt SBP the perfect venue for a crowd of around 4,500??

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

4,500 would be a good fit for SBP certainly, but you'd have to ask the question - if the crowds are identical, then why move? After all, even if Birr give up the ground rent free, as they have offered to do, there is a lot more comfort for supporters in Tullamore when crowds are that high. There is ample seating and cover if it's a wet day and 90% of people want to sit down, the bathrooms can cope with a rush of a five hundred people at half time easily enough, and a few other little bits like that.

If there is a boost to the crowd to moving to Birr, and in the last twelve months we finally have some evidence that crowds might be up by a factor of 10-15% down there, then that's worth moving a few games on a trial basis at least. But if there is no boost, why should we bring those people to a less comfortable stadium?

Also, I think you overstate the value of the KK support. There were 4,500 or so supporters in the ground last Sunday, of which I'd estimate that a good chunk would be neutrals who would go to the county semi-finals regardless of who was playing. I certainly saw plenty of other Ferbane/Belmont folk knocking around, despite the fact that Naomh Ciaran were out in the Leinster championship at the same time, and I know that Plain of the Herbs beside me would have met a fair smattering of Lusmagh folk as well.

If we take it that maybe 1500 were neutrals that would travel regardless of the pairings, then there's no way any one club brought more than 1,000 out of the remaining 3,000. Yes Kinnitty would have a smaller population than the other three, but on the other side of the coin, this was the biggest game that Kinnitty had played in since they lost the county final all the way back in 2008. You can be sure that they brought a decent crowd as well, even if not quite the same amount as the others. Replacing KK with Coolderry might lead to a hit of 300-400, but that would be the height of it.

Now if you somehow ended up with Coolderry, Tullamore, Lusmagh and Seir Kieran in the semis, you'd have a much smaller gate all right. I'd take my chances that a line up of that nature is unlikely though.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

greenairfield wrote:If they don't want too do what's right for Offal hurling that's there choice!!!
jaysus airfield i know you reckon the faithful are gone and will be for a while but "Offal hurling"? dats a bit harsh, doncha think?

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:whats it 19 20 weeks since Eamon Kelly left his post still not a mention of a county manger, whats the story here, its all well and good getting big money at gates on match day, how about the county board go and spend abit of money and get a big name manger in for a change instead of getting ex kerry manger or a player who hurl with offaly in the good times. the club championship is over, where would a manger start about where to look at talent in the county, on hear say :oops:
yeer missing yeer chance at the moment townman, the wexicans are talking to davy!