Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by greenairfield »

I predict Birr to win by 5+ points and I will go for K/K by 2

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Rynaghs v birr co final!

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Birr and K/K final..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn’t at either of the four Senior quarter-finals three weekends ago, so don’t be asking me!

I wouldn’t rule out Kinnitty. A talented team, but they’ll need to get stuck in from the first whistle, something they didn’t do in April’s round one fixture against the same opposition. And while they can only beat what’s in front of them, beating Shinrone in a quarter-final isn’t an overwhelming form line.

Still, Birr have forwards. I wasn’t surprised they beat Belmont convincingly. On paper at least, a half-back line of Watkins, Hayden and Ryan should overcome Kinsella, Bergin and Kealey (and anyone else Kinnitty might switch into that line) and keep sufficient supply to said forwards.

Very hard to know how the second semi-final would go. Quite possible, then, that one team will hit a vein of form, exploit a few opposition weaknesses, and win well.

Ger Healion is a massive loss. No point saying otherwise. In indifferent form this is, effectively, a first round for Kilcormac, and would still be Leinster contenders. Expect the experiments to stop, with most (injury permitting) starting in their optimum positions (that’s with Brian Leonard reverting to 7, Leonard & Kilmartin to midfield, a half-forward line comprising Slevin, Mahon & Kiely, and Gorman, Currams & one of the Geraghtys inside). They will not win with the forwards lining out with a big variation of the above. And as I watch the TV ad with the boy demanding "manic aggression" in the words of Paul O'Connell, there is always a chance K-K in general, and Conor Mahon in particular, will play with the aggression for which they are noted.

Facing a team against whom you enjoyed a convincing win and somewhat against the head) last year isn’t ideal, but Rynagh’s simply have to win here. And anyway, I’m the one who advides that their quarter-final against Coolderrry would be a low scoring affair, with 1-12 a likely winning total (Rynagh’s won, something like 0-27 to 0-20 or thereabouts). I’m not so sure about Joey O’Connor and Seán Kenny as defenders though, both are attacking players. And they need a worker like Seán Dolan out around the middle of the field. With Peter Healion likely to concentrate on protecting his full-back, there is scope for Garry Conneely to make an impact, as Stephen Wynne did last year. Mattie Maloney is in scoring form, and while I would prefer to see Niall Wynne in defence, he can have an impact here. Ger Scales’ pace would be crucial against Kilcormac too. And the three week break might allow Stephen Quirke the required recovery time. And the returned emigrants will be a week sharper too.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

I attended the two quarter finals at tullamore, and intend to take in the two semis this weekend.

as a neutral, this was my take.

birr...not a patch on birr teams of old. similar to rathdowney in laois, lovely ball playing forwards, questionable if they fancy winning dirty ball in the forward line.
kirwan certainly has them tuned in. in the first 7 minutes of each half against Belmont they chalked up 1-7 to belmonts 0-1, and that fast starting was the difference in the end.
sean ryan was stationed to mark colin egan and done an excellent job and also contributed from general play, freed up from man marking duties, he will have a greater impact.
mullins was, as ever, solid in goals. I think there may be a lack of pace in defence, and there are few miles left in barry whelelans legs, in the Belmont game he brought experience and not much else.
a lot of the ball was pumped from pick outs on top of mulrooney, and I thought he coughed up and messed too much ball. hanniffy on the other wing might have been a better puck out target.

I have seen kinnitty in action in a challenge game, my impression is that birr will have too much for them.

k/k lined out against clareen without regular keeper conor slevin and this did unsettle them. clareen had a great opportunity to open a decent first half lead with the breeze but missed a number of chances, particularly joe bergin who mishit a shot from 10 yards out when any decent sort of connection was a goal.
k/k played well for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and hit the front. I expected them to kick on and win comfortably. instead they were a team waiting for the final whistle. healion picking up the injury did not help, and in the end they were hanging on by their fingernails, a more clinical side would have downed them.

conor mahon contested loads of ball, the percentage of ball he fumbled was unreal, and he missed an open goal. the one bright spot was that dan currams seemed to be coming back on song and he will trouble any backline.

I assume conor slevin will be back between the sticks and healion is out for the rest of the year. the team looked heavy legged and like a side going to the well once too often.

I have seen rynaghs once in 2016, and as of now they are the best balanced side in Offaly. I think K/K will give them their fill of it for 40 minutes, but Rynaghs may have the legs and hunger to get over the line.

rynaghs would be too strong for birr on current form where that the final line up.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the two games are even match, this is kinnittys chance to beat Birr in knock out hurling in donkeys years, if they can stop ball getting into Nolan, Cahill, and Brendan Murphy they could nick it, Birr have done well under Paddy Kirwin this is the second year to get to the last 4 under him, the only fear i would have of this Birr side is they have 14 players who hurl in last years semil final defeat to coolderry in which they were out hurl in the finished. Paul Cleary is the only change from last year after breaking his leg, a big plus to have him back but watching him again Belmont he looked way off the pace and if Kinnitty can get him one on one there could be goals from them.

Birrs half back line are as good that is in offaly Watkins, Hayden, and Sean Ryan is a strong line and all 3 are well able to hurl, Barry Harding in the centre, if Rory Hanniffy can turn back the clock Birr will be hard beaten. kinitty will need a big display but James Dempsey, Paddy Delaney, Paddy Rigney, Kinsella, the Kealeys, and Colm Coughlan if they are to win it and they know this isn't the Beast that was the Birr teams of the 90's and 2000's .

the second game another toss of a coin most would think Rynaghs will win this with form so far this year and with Ger Healion gone will leave a big gap at the back, but i think their could be one more kick left in this k/k team, they are far from an old team with the spine of the side still young, Peter Healion could go full back with Brian Leonard going in centre back. Currams is finding form the Geraghtys are a hand full when on song and will love the space in tellamore . Rynaghs have to win this not alone the semil the final two, if not they will become the Mayo of offaly hurling this is the year another defeat here and its curtins from most of this squad. but with the likes of Clancy, the Connellys, Camon, Stephen Quirke, Shortt, Joey O'Connor young Huges they should be winning county titles at least. i think this will also be going to the wire but Rynaghs will have to be aware of a k/k backlash after last years semil defeat Rynaghs should win but the question is will they.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

According to his Wikipedia page, Damien Martin turns 70 tomorrow (and if Wikipedia has it, then it must be correct, right?). A St Rynagh's semi-final win would be a fitting celebration of the legendary goalkeeper's birthday.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Nice compliment there by plain. Gud win tday subs dod the job, bring on birr.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

On the day the best two teams won. Congrats to both!! Can't believe it's 2001 since both played each other in a county final and especially with Birr having three lads from that team still playing.

Birr where is total control of the game from start to finish. The half back line is the key for Birr this year and where supurb all day.

St Rynaghs hands downdeserved there victory and where the better tam. They played a nice brand of hurling and got everything right on the day. Fitness and substitutes where the difference on the day and Mr.Forde seemed to get everything timed perfectly. They should concerned about not scoring for what I think was 15 mins of the second half but they got the job done. Ben Connelly and Aidan Treacy where solid all day. Have to be considered for #5 and #6 on a county next year.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Two Poor games yesterday. Birr were good in patches. letting the ball go. missed Brendan Murphy in the full forward line.
But Kinnitty never looked like they really believed that they were going to win the game.
Rynagh's beat KK. i sometime wonder about managers. Gorgan wasn't able to walk from the start. how Rynagh's only scored 5 points with him on the field. Gorgan would have been better used for the last 10 mins not the 1st 20.
Quirke has a bit of magic about him something that other rynagh's forward don't.

From an inter county point of view.
We did learn a few things. Kiely work rate is no were close to where it should be for a senior club team let alone a County team. he need to be let rediscover his hungry from the game. taking free has nothing to do with hurling in a team.
Shortt who i'm a big fan of, laying down trying to get players booked means to me he attitude is not that of a inter county player.(not the Kiely slap) cause he lay down some day and the ref will give him nothing and it will cost him team.you need a man from them key positions and yesterday Shortt was Shortt was no where need that standard. Yesterday i lost a lot of respect for Shortt as a hurler and leader.
On the plus side Enda Gorgan and Aiden Tracey were outstanding. Love to see these lads in a half back line together.
Ben Connolly and Eoghan Chaill are two from the future. There no point in having them broke up by 26 year old lads at this stage of the development. another few year and they will be ready but not just yet.

Birr vs St. Rynagh's Final. Has to be Rynagh's year you think, Honestly to me both teams playing to there best Rynagh win by 7 or 8 points but the Rynagh's system doesn't get the best of them so Birr have a great chance. Rynagh's to fall over the line after extra time by one point is the most likely outcome to me.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

toxicity234 theres not a chance in hell Rynaghs will beat Birr by 7 or 8 points, yes they could win by 1 or 2 if they do. that Rynaghs forward line went 20 minutes without scoring yesterday plus Niall Wynne is not or never will be a forward, Birrs backs will have the messure of the Rynaghs 6 forwards come county final day. Brendan Murphy came on yesterday and hit two of the best points of the day.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say I was hugely disappointed by the fare on show on Sunday - I travelled to Tullamore really looking forward to what I expected to be two excellent encounters and both fell way short of expectations, for different reasons.

It's probably a bit unfair to be critical of Birr in the sense that they played against the wind in the first half and effectively wrapped the game up by half time - but they were helped by Kinnitty's continual fouling as well. For a club that is so heavily dependent on frees themselves and who should have known better as a result, I thought Kinnitty would have been far better advised to hold off in the tackle a little more and see if the Birr forwards could score under pressure, rather than letting Eoghan Cahill rack up eight points from frees in thirty minutes. Birr got a good goal and their half back line was utterly superb again, as it has been all year - while there was nothing hugely wrong in the full forward line either.

The problems start for them further up the field - Barry Whelahan, Conor O'Callaghan and Stephen Lonergan all failed to make any real positive impact on the game, and they clearly have very little on the bench either to come in and freshen things up. Brendan Murphy got two good scores when he came on and was involved, but he also shot two very bad wides. Right now Birr are a couple of players short of a good starting XV and well short of a good panel, and while they've only one more game to go so in a sense anything ca happen, it's hard to imagine that failing not coming back to haunt them.

Short and all as Birr were up front, Kinnitty were way worse. All year they've really only had Colm Coughlan, Shane Kinsella and Odhrán Kealey pulling their weight up front and it was the same again this time around. I seem to be bad luck for Kinnitty this year - I saw them play Birr twice and I saw their game against Seir Kieran, so I'm acutely aware of the fact that I appear to be missing them at their best, but the pressure is on now for younger hurlers like Eoghan Callaghan and James Hardiman to step up to the plate and become consistent performers at senior level. Just to be clear, it's not the fault of teenagers like them that Kinnitty fell short this year - they did their best in a situation where ideally they'd have been kept in reserve for another while - but it's clear that they're badly needed if the club is going to push on.

As for Rynaghs vs Kkk, well after the tour de force that Rynaghs produced in this game last year, that was hugely disappointing. There's a lot of love for Ben Conneely and Aidan Treacy on here and they were immense in the closing twelve minutes, but like a lot of their colleagues, they struggled badly for over half the game. Let's not forget that Rynaghs scored 0-4 in the first six minutes, 1-4 in the last 11 minutes and 0-3 in the three quarters of an hour in between. That's shocking. They allowed a K-K team that had little or no confidence to gradually work their way into the contest and they could, nay should have paid the price.

What this game has done is that it has given Francis Forde the license to shake up the team, which was needed - and that's why I think they'll win the final. Perhaps the one drawback that comes with a team that's winning is that it becomes very hard for managers to swap out lads that aren't burning it up, but aren't looking too bad either because they're getting covered by their colleagues. The example of this that will always stick with me is David Heaney, Mayo full back in 2006. Heaney was a good all round footballer but he never fully convinced in that role, and yet because Mayo were winning games and playing well as a team that summer, they left him be. Enter Kieran Donaghy, and by the time David Brady was sent on, the game had been lost. He only played badly for twenty minutes, but people saw it coming and yet management didn't pre-empt, feeling they owed him loyalty. They gave him a chance to play his way off the side, forgetting that in knockout games, you can be in an irreversibly poor position by the time your suspicions are proved correct.

It was the same thing with Rynaghs - they started Sunday's game with at least three and maybe four players that would be starters (all other things being equal) on the bench, and by the time they were called upon, I thought it was going to be too late for them. Let's not forget that Kilcormac-Killoughey scored their final point with 13 minutes to play - if they had added a couple more, which they should have done even as Rynaghs took over, they'd have been able to pop that late 65 over the bar and win the game. I think they'll be better in the final because Forde can now pick his best team without fear - otherwise, how could you drop three or four lads from a side that got you to a county final?

It was notable too that for all the criticism that the Rynaghs' style takes, much of it on here, it was only when they really started playing their own game at the end that they really cut through the K-K defence. I also think that if they want to bypass the Birr half back line, which would be a sensible strategy, they'd do well to go down the same route again. Keep it short, work the ball up the field and don't just rain high ball in on top of the heads of Watkins, Hayden and Ryan. Kinnitty match up very poorly with Birr, and I suspect that K-K's direct approach would have played into Birr's hands to a certain degree as well. Rynaghs' style won't suit the town side.

On the K-K side, what I think this year proved is that this is a club that is all about man-management. They clearly need a lot of looking after, because they had a widely recognised and respected hurling coach in with them this year and it never took off. Ger Healion's injury hurt them and as it happened I'd say the loss of Grogan was an even bigger blow, but more significant for me was the hurlers they had on the field that never did anything. With all due respect to lads like the Geraghtys, Alan McConville, Con Mahon, Damian Kilmartin etc. - these guys are very good, dependable club players, maybe even close to county panelists, if maybe a little short of that - in many cases due to size. All of them went well, they weren't the problem. However your game breakers are Ciarán Slevin (didn't do much outside of frees, and missed two very scorable dead balls as well), Dan Currams (hasn't played well in two years now and clearly needs something to change to get back on song), Conor Mahon (looked good in patches but was absent in the closing stages when they badly needed a trademark catch and run to draw a free or set up a score) and Cillian Kiely (hit some great dead balls, but looks no further on in terms of controlling his discipline - could and should have got sent off). Moreover, James Gorman has the size and power to be a very difficult opponent, and he can clearly score well - and yet he wasn't starting. Why was that? There's five excellent hurlers that should all be causing opposition back lines huge problems, and yet not one of them was where they needed to be on Sunday. If K-K are going to get back to the top of the heap, they'll need to figure out why that was the case.

Overall an underwhelming day's play, which hopefully will be redeemed by a good final.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

The county board fixed the final for OCP fairly lively, just on the off chance that Birr and Banagher want it in SBP...gas men!

Lone shark I go back to a debate a few weeks ago where you had some views on Birr looking for rent for matches, I believe a rumour from a CB official started that and it was put to bed when the Birr club made it known to the public this week they did not look for rent, what did you hear ?
As I said before it would be an awful silly move.

Anyway on to the county final cos there isn't much point talking about SBP and OCP anymore until we remove the CB men.

Been a Birr supporter I would love to see us win, I do have some concerns over a couple of players but really how good are the blue and gold....

I would love to know how many of them played against Birr 3 years ago in the semi final when Birr beat them with 6 or 7 points to spare.

Hoping for a good final.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:The county board fixed the final for OCP fairly lively, just on the off chance that Birr and Banagher want it in SBP...gas men!

Lone shark I go back to a debate a few weeks ago where you had some views on Birr looking for rent for matches, I believe a rumour from a CB official started that and it was put to bed when the Birr club made it known to the public this week they did not look for rent, what did you hear ?
As I said before it would be an awful silly move.
I had no "views" on it, and you damn well know it. I said that I heard two sides of the story, and I made it clear that I wasn't taking either of them as gospel truth without corroboration. It is true that Birr offered SBP without any rent for the county final, that much is certain, and while I would stand over my view that the time to be talking about where to hold the county final is not October, I do think that a serious discussion needs to be had about what portfolio of games goes to SBP in 2017. I've also been reliably informed that the superintendent with responsibility for Birr is amenable to allowing them to hold a game of that nature without making it all-ticket, which is another key point in their favour. It's all a very different landscape to four or five years ago, when frankly this debate never should have got off the ground.

Neither do I believe that the wishes of the two finalists should determine where the county final is played. There are over 40 clubs in the county and I think the time for a frank discussion and a bit of proper democracy is upon us.

However I would love to see some of the clubs from South Offaly take the initiative over the next few weeks and start to offer some people to take up key positions within the county board. It's easy to stand on the outside and nitpick at the decisions you don't like, or to argue that the county board is against you. Well last year, all bar one of the positions on the county board were uncontested. Maybe it's time that some of these people that feel so disenfranchised decided to come inside the tent and start working from within. Getting someone onto the CCC would be a good start.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

We need a full clear out that's not am easy job