Advancement from Group Stages Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Advancement from Group Stages Football

Post by SearingDrive »

Tar Man wrote:
When was the last time neither Rhode, Tullamore, Clara, or Edenderry didn't appear in the final?
Probably Ferbane against Gracefield from around about 1990. I remember I was about 15 minutes late into the game and it was already over as Ferbane led by something like 3-7 to 0-0. That was a cracking Ferbane team. I think that final had the largest ever winning margin.

A repeat would be good but I can't see anything other that another Rhode county title.
Thanks for that. I would like to see some one other than Rhode win the Dowling Cup in 2016.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

SearingDrive wrote:
Tar Man wrote:
When was the last time neither Rhode, Tullamore, Clara, or Edenderry didn't appear in the final?
Probably Ferbane against Gracefield from around about 1990. I remember I was about 15 minutes late into the game and it was already over as Ferbane led by something like 3-7 to 0-0. That was a cracking Ferbane team. I think that final had the largest ever winning margin.

A repeat would be good but I can't see anything other that another Rhode county title.
Thanks for that. I would like to see some one other than Rhode win the Dowling Cup in 2016.

1994 Ferbane v Shannonbridge
Doon exile....

Hankscorpio
Junior B

Post by Hankscorpio »

Shannonbridge appeared in the 1996 final. Shamrocks appeared in the 2000, 2005 & 2007 final. Gracefield 2002 & 2004.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

[quote="SearingDrive]
Thanks for that. I would like to see some one other than Rhode win the Dowling Cup in 2016.[/quote]

Why is that, they are the only team that has done Offaly proud in the Leinster Club Champioship.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

summerindublin wrote:[quote="SearingDrive]
[/quote]

Why is that, they are the only team that has done Offaly proud in the Leinster Club Champioship.[/
I would just like to see a new team win this year. A change is always good, nothing against Rhode, they are great people out there. Despite their best efforts they have not won Leinster.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

summerindublin wrote:[quote="SearingDrive]
Why is that, they are the only team that has done Offaly proud in the Leinster Club Champioship.[/quote][/quote]

they didn't win it yet either. Gracefield, Walsh Island, and Ferbane are still the only winners from offaly.

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Senior will b rhode and ferbane.durrow vs raheen senior b.bracknagh vs daingean first 3 levels in County I think.How's junior a b and c going anyone know?iv seen senior a/b and intermediate iv not seen much about the other grades though.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

when are the semi finals on i wonder?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

biffinbanner wrote:when are the semi finals on i wonder?
I think the weekend of 24th/25th September. That is 4 weeks after the group stages were completed, a long period between games.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Shannonbridge and Bracknagh will contest the Intermediate final after big wins at the weekend. I only got to see Shannonbridge beat Daingean by 11 points. It amazes me how Daingean can not utilise Shane Tierney similar to St Vincent's U21s where he is the main scorer in chief. Shane spent more time out the field than where he is most dangerous. Similar with the frees he should be kicking them. Daingean came out in 2nd half and scored 5 in a row to claw the deficit to the minimum but Shannonbridge weathered the storm, score a goal and ran out easy winners.

Should be a good final and very 50/50. Alternative jerseys will be required!

This weekend sees the Senior B semi finals. I expect an easy victory for Raheen over Cappincur who have done very well to make it this far. The other semi final is a hard one to call. Tubber and Durrow will both fancy themselves. I feel with Panda and Brian Kelly, Tubber will edge it.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

A disappointing year for Raheen who were strongly fancied by many to make a major impact in Senior A over the next 3/4 years. It has also been a disappointing year for Dangean. The new structure of the Offaly Senior championship with just 8 teams playing senior football has not resulted in new teams breaking through or in an improvement in the standard of Club Football. Consideration should be given to increasing the senior championship to 12 teams in order to give more clubs & players the chance of playing senior football.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:A disappointing year for Raheen who were strongly fancied by many to make a major impact in Senior A over the next 3/4 years. It has also been a disappointing year for Dangean. The new structure of the Offaly Senior championship with just 8 teams playing senior football has not resulted in new teams breaking through or in an improvement in the standard of Club Football. Consideration should be given to increasing the senior championship to 12 teams in order to give more clubs & players the chance of playing senior football.
When we had twelve teams at senior, we had utterly lifeless championships where the gulf between the top and bottom was utterly huge. Even now, within the current eight team systems, there are big gaps - as evidenced by how far adrift Ballycumber were at senior A (in the best group they could have hoped for) and how similarly way off the pace Doon and Walsh Island were in senior B.

Putting the title "senior" on it doesn't make it senior. If you have twelve senior clubs next year and you have a group of, for example, Rhode, Ballycumber, Durrow and Tubber. Rhode will hammer the three of them in non-entity games, and the other three matches would probably be close enough - but they'd be effectively no different to the Senior B games now.

Measuring the standard of the championships is impossible, and it's utterly incorrect to say that no new teams are breaking through. Shannonbridge have a lot of very young players in key positions, I'd imagine that they probably have two or three lads over thirty and the rest with an average age of 22 or so, and they're in an IFC final. Cappincur, with a very young team too, are one game away from claiming a place in the top eight football clubs in the county. That's a big deal - and I'd say they'd disagree vehemently with your assessment that there are no teams breaking through. And reading your post, it seems as if you'd feel differently if those two sides had lost their semi-finals, and if Daingean and Raheen were now preparing for finals. Which strikes me as odd.

There is no system that will make football better, but we can try and make the games competitive, and meaningful, to generate interest. I would argue that this has happened this year. A few too many games in O'Connor Park, no different to the hurling, but otherwise the championships have been pretty good.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Who won between Durrow and Tubber yesterday?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Tubber by 4

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

The 2016 Senior B final will be contested by Cappincur and Tubber. Same day as the AI replay. Anybody know what time the two matches are at and if they are clashing?

I would be a big fan of the current structures. Every grade is very competitive compared to a few years ago. Still a gulf in senior with the top 4 teams but still competitive. At the start of the year it was impossible to pick winners from senior B and intermediate with everyone having realistic chances and hence players putting their shoulder to the wheel, which can only be good for the county.

Looking forward to 2017 has anybody seen any players who could be a good addition to the county set up?