Club Championships 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Sharp Eye
All Star

Re: Club Championships 2016

Post by Sharp Eye »

Club Hurling Championships start on Sunday. Players from the top four clubs have been training for over 2 months. Their next game will be in 3 months time. It is probable that the first real competitive game for our stronger clubs will be the County Quarter Final in September.

In senior football all club players know that their first championship game will be July (mid-summer) with no extended break. All games will be competitive and if any team loses two games they will be out. Surely this format is much more attractive to club players and club supporters.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sharp Eye wrote:Club Hurling Championships start on Sunday. Players from the top four clubs have been training for over 2 months. Their next game will be in 3 months time. It is probable that the first real competitive game for our stronger clubs will be the County Quarter Final in September.

In senior football all club players know that their first championship game will be July (mid-summer) with no extended break. All games will be competitive and if any team loses two games they will be out. Surely this format is much more attractive to club players and club supporters.
So you think it is only the top four clubs (I presume by this you mean last year's semi-finalists) that are the only ones training for over two months. I know my own club are back since the end of January (and they're not a "Top 4" team). I'd be pretty certain practically all the 12 senior teams, maybe with one or two exceptions, are back training since then.

On a side note, Brian Lowry has a good preview piece in the Tribune today making it a 3 horse race involving K/K, St Rynagh's and Coolderry. Well worth a read.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

System as voted for by the "hurling people"!!

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

So wins for Rhode and Edenderry in Group A in the Senior Football and Ferbane and Gracefield winning in group B

I was in OCP for the double header on Saturday evening. Very poor crowd for 2 attractive games on paper. A couple of hundred at best. Rhode looked impressive. They had a gameplan of working the ball short to midfield then kicking it in long to the full forward line who destroyed the Tullamore full back line. Niall Mc was in great form kicking 10 points including 2 cracking 45s. Tullamore looked like a team that didn't believe they could win. Their forwards were very static at all times and gave the players out the field no option when kicking it in. They also lost a lot of ball in by taking it into contact instead of laying off the simple pass. It was good to see Paul McConway get a run after his bad injury and he kicked a fine point as well

Edenderry beat Clara in the second game by 2 points. Clara got off to a good start but a poor mistake by the goalkeeper gave Edenderry a soft goal against the run of play. Clara also hit the post in the first half from a Scott Brady rocket but it looked to me the keeper got a touch onto the post. Clara made a roaring start to the second half to lead by 1 but then failed to score for 20 odd minutes and Edenderry picked them off to win by 2.

Rhode and Edenderry now favourites to go through, Tullamore will need some of their players back to beat Clara or Edenderry which i don't see them doing

Did anyone get to other games? Any standout performers?