MAYBE THERE IS HOPE FOR OFFALY HURLING

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Exiled in Connacht
County player

MAYBE THERE IS HOPE FOR OFFALY HURLING

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Result from final of division 1 Celtic Challenge hurling final - OFFALY 4-10 - SOUTH KILKENNY 3-12

Celtic challenge cup for those who don't know is a competition for 16 and 17 year olds who are not sitting State exams.

Thanks to Kevin Egan (@lonesharkoy) for his updating on twitter. Sounded like a great game.

South Kilkenny had players from such clubs as Ballyhale (including an Evan Shefflin), Young Irelands and Glenmore to name a few.

I will leave it to Kevin or others to post more info if needed.

Maybe there is hope !

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: MAYBE THERE IS HOPE FOR OFFALY HURLING

Post by bracknaghboy »

Super super result. Huge congrats to all involved. There is a mountain of great work going on in this county at the moment with our underage teams and development squads in both codes. Plenty of coaching and advanced coaching workshops taking place as well. Things are far from perfect but our underage set up is nowhere near as neglected as some of those that were ranting 8 weeks ago would have people think. Hopefully we'll be looking back in 10 years time after winning some senior silverware saying how many of the players came from the Celtic Challenge winning team of '16!!!!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Excellent result , this bunch should be looked after now and brought on nicely to compete in minor next year . I'm sure there's huge work going on behind the scenes, effort and hard work pay off let's keep it going and give the young generation hope and a county to be proud of like I was in 89, 91,94,98 great years to be a young lad walking around with the jersey on top of the pile .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Seems to be a really good competition. Good for offaly gaa and for all those who do so much work within the county to promote hurling and try to get lads to compete at the highest level.
Just a little note of caution. The stronger counties were divided and not allowed to play any under 17s who were members of the minor team. So dublin for example were spilt in two and we're missing about 10 players who would have been eligible for this competition.
All in all it should make for a competitive minor grade next year.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Just for private joker. Offaly had 9 x 17yr olds on the offaly minor panel who they could not use in this competition as they were used in leinster minor championship. My neighbour is one of them.
What has been achieved by this group in the Celtic Challenge is incredible. Out of 38 teams Offaly came out on top of the pile. I also noted on squad list no coolderry, kinnity, clareen, tullamore of belmont lads involved. Heres hoping for a bright future. Well done lads, fair play.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It is an a really good indication of the potential within the county. You have to have a pretty good set of players to win this type of competition.