Offaly vs Galway 2016 Leinster Semi-final - Sunday June 19th

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Offaly vs Galway 2016 Leinster Semi-final - Sunday June 19th

Post by Wing Back »

Biggest game that many of these lads have faced to date. They were impressive and done what needed to be done against a poor Laois team. This will be a huge step up though. It worrys me that Galway put Westmeath away so easily....especially considering how easy Westmeath beat us in round robin. I do think that we are better than that however.......and hopefully will do ourselves justice. Galway are raging hot favourites for this and Offaly have nothing to lose.

I do worry about our full back line and how reliant we are on Dempsey to make top drawer saves in nearly every game. This Sunday will really be the acid test of how we are back there I think.Hopefully we can keep the work rate high out the field and cut off the supply of good ball.

If Colin Egan is up to starting I'd like Joe Bergin moved back in to the full forward slot with Dooley and Connolly in the corners.

Galway can be rattled and are capable of both breath taking performances (against Tipp last year) and shocking performances (Losing to an awful Cork team in the relegation decider in league)

Esto Fidelis
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Galway 2016 Leinster Semi-final - Sunday June

Post by SearingDrive »

Accurate summing up of Sunday's game. Massive step up for Offaly, need to get a better return from forwards other than Shane Dooley from placed balls.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A big step up in class on Sunday. Still, I think it was better that Galway got their campaign underway with an emphatic win over Westmeath. Four years ago Galway were underwhelming at the same venue, yet opened up Offaly in the next round and made a show of Kilkenny in the round after that.

Much coverage of Galway’s wintertime upheaval, but the hurlers were putting in the work while that was going on. Item: look at how Conor Whelan’s body shape has changed since last year.

Perhaps Seán Ryan and Andy Smith will directly oppose each other. Interesting to see how John Hanbury and/or Pádraig Mannion will cope with Dooley and/or Bergin, and if Offaly can get the ball into them. Cillian Kiely made an impact off the bench against Leix, and seemed to stake a claim for the role of ‘impact sub’. Offaly cannot afford a slow start and, if fit, Kiely will need to start. I wonder would he be the man to cope with Joe Canning? CK could do with a full game before Thursday night’s U21 semi-final too.

Offaly’s targets for the year – to emerge from the round-robin and to escape 2017’s round-robin by beating Laois – have been achieved. And in a results driven game, that vindicates Éamonn Kelly and his choices. The pressure is off Offaly now. But with last year’s All-Ireland finalists the opposition, there is no denying the differential in class. And in the short term, there’s not much that can be done about that.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

1 James Dempsey Kinnitty
2 Niall Wynne St Rynagh’s
3 Chris McDonald Brosna Gaels
4 Paddy Rigney Kinnitty
5 Dermot Mooney Seir Kieran
6 Sean Gardiner Lusmagh
7 David King Coolderry
8 Colin Egan Belmont
9 Sean Ryan Birr
10 Paddy Murphy Ballinamere
11 James Mulrooney Seir Kieran
12 Shane Kinsella Kinnitty
13 Shane Dooley Tullamore
14 Joe Bergin Seir Kieran
15 Kevin Connolly Coolderry
16 Oisin Mahon Kilcormac/Killoughey
17 Ben Conneely St Rynagh’s
18 Killian Kiely Kilcormac/Killoughey
19 Paudge Guinan Drumcullen
20 David O Toole Shamrocks
21 Sean Cleary Shinrone
22 Emmett Nolan Birr
23 Jason Sampson Shinrone
24 Adrian Cleary Shinrone
25 Liam Langton Clodiagh Gaels
26 Dan Kelleher Brosna Gaels

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

I wonder what are the chances of Emmet Nolan being drafted into the starting 15?

Would love to see him start in the half forward line.

Mulrooney done well coming off the bench against Kerry I thought and think that he may be better as an impact sub rather than a starter.

Nolan however is probably our best player after Dooley, Bergin and Dempsey.

I know he hasn't been in the squad but when I see him among the subs I feel it's a missed trick.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

with Shortt and Camon out, you would think he would go right half back and maybe Mooney into the right corner back spot . i would think Galway will leave Canning in fullforward for the day if he and Mannion and Flynn hit a good day with our fullback line we are in trouble. anyway anything after the laois win is a bonus, they have came back great after the westmeath defeat. lets be honest we are again the top 2nd or 3rd best team in the country the last 5 years and were in last years final, if we could keep with 10 points of them would be alright after where we are after coming from the last few years.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

If is was a pure hurling match them i think we win but no match is pure hurling.
If is match was about pure aggression i think we would match Galway all the way.
If is match is a physical battle i think were in big trouble. The Galway team will start with 14 lads 6'1 or bigger with 5 lads 6'3 or bigger.
The problem start with our whole full back line under 5'10. 2 half back under 5'10 a midfield under 5'8 and a corner forward under 5'10.

The spine of the Offaly team is 5''9FB, 5'10CB 5'8 and 6'1MF 6CF' 6'1FF. vs 6'2FB 6'2CB 5'11 and 6'1MF 6'3CF 6'2FF.

We're middle weights against Heavy weights. We may have the aggression and skill but for pure power against heavy weight we will struggle.
The only way around power is to avoid contact and in hurling that impossible.
Chris Mcdonald man scored 1-9 in the westmeath game what the fuck is Joe Canning going to do to him. Chris is a very good corner back but at full back he a poor players. Sorry but that what this year has showing.
Report coming out of the Galway Camp is there looking forward to the leinster final.

I'm Worried about tomorrow. really worried, The Galway forward don't even need good ball tomorrow cause there so much bigger than us there backs can just lump it and they still have a good chance of winning it.
I hope to god i'm wrong but maybe Galway will have taking the eye off the ball.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly 4-12 Galway 2-16 cmon faithful

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

leinster hurling could do with a big shock win for OY. don't see it remotely happening. G 3.22 OY 1.16.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Come on boys!!! Hammer 'em!!!!!!!!!

No prisoners!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hey toxicity. I know you’re teeing this up to make the point that there are taller hurlers out there who, though unproven at county level and who are unwilling to prepare to the diligent levels required of intercounty hurlers nowadays, might scare Galway.

I don’t know where you pulled the heights of those hurlers you picked, but I know one of them personally and you are at least four inches short. Which raises a question about the rest of them. Must try harder.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

So the qualifiers it is !

Draw is tomorrow morning. 5 Leinster teams and 3 Munster teams.A draw will be made first to see if ourselves or Westmeath will be in "Munster" pot. If its us we will play a Leinster team and it seems to me that as we have already played Westmeath and Laois we would play Dublin or Wexford.

On the other hand if we are in "Leinster" pot we clearly want to avoid Clare. A home game against a struggling Cork or even Limerick (assume Tipp will win !) might be interesting.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

POTH. All i was saying is that you need to match up physically down the centre of the team. The 3 best team in the country Kilkenny, Galway and Tipperary all are imposing down the middle.

Today hurling wise we were just as good a Galway. Galway extra man was the difference.
Both Sending Off was harsh. The Ref was rubbish. Cork ref must have a something against Offaly.

The other thing that we went against us/need to improve.
The Galway back tough/dirty play. Dooley took two or three late hits early on. Dooley need to get in the ref ear about that stuff and while i hate it he needs to milk that 1st hit. Roll around, scream and get up and point the finger. Hell if were against the wind be carried off for a few mins.
Play against the extra man/sweeper. The ball has to be keep away from the sweeper. We're going to need to put our two corner forward out close to the side line and hit them to stop the sweeper clearing so much ball.
The need to find a stopper in the middle of that defence. Gardiner to good a hurling to be dragger into a battle against big centre forward he do so much more damage of the wing sweeping behind a powerful centre back.

i know i give out a lot on this site but it frustration. When Baker took over all we heard is we're re-building. then Wheleahan the same re-building and over the last few months Kelly been saying the same. At this stage we could have build the great wall.
In saying that Kelly has is in better shape than last year so maybe we might build something.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Colin Egan's problem for the red was the longer run up to the hit. Had he taken a couple of quick steps and blasted him, he'd have been given the benefit of the doubt.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:So the qualifiers it is !

Draw is tomorrow morning. 5 Leinster teams and 3 Munster teams.A draw will be made first to see if ourselves or Westmeath will be in "Munster" pot. If its us we will play a Leinster team and it seems to me that as we have already played Westmeath and Laois we would play Dublin or Wexford.

On the other hand if we are in "Leinster" pot we clearly want to avoid Clare. A home game against a struggling Cork or even Limerick (assume Tipp will win !) might be interesting.
It's Wexford away in the qualifiers, date and time to be confirmed today.