Offaly vs Westmeath 2016 Leinster Q-final - Sunday June 12th

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Westmeath 2016 Leinster Q-final - Sunday June

Post by Toxicity234 »

DAF wrote:Kieran Martin had his nose broken by an Offaly player after he went to shake his hand after the game.

Hopefully there is a long ban coming up for whoever that was.Bad enough to lose but to then engage in thuggery like that is unacceptable.
Only half the story. Offaly players went to shake hands and Martin Mocking him(kissing his shirt) and push him with his chest and the Offaly player deck him.
Martin provoke him 100%. Still shouldn't have punch him.

Sorry i meant shouldn't
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

DAF wrote:Kieran Martin had his nose broken by an Offaly player after he went to shake his hand after the game.

Hopefully there is a long ban coming up for whoever that was.Bad enough to lose but to then engage in thuggery like that is unacceptable.
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=256500

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Toxicity234 wrote:

Only half the story. Offaly players went to shake hands and Martin Mocking him(kissing his shirt) and push him with his chest and the Offaly player deck him.
Martin provoke him 100%. Still should have punch him.
He still shouldn't have hit him but goading isn't right either.

However having said that I have no sympathy for Martin if that is what he done and he got what he deserved.

Slugger
Junior C

Post by Slugger »

Toxicity's version of events is correct. That's exactly what happened. Hoganstand article is just going on hearsay. Don't see why the Martin lad couldn't just shake hands and enjoy his win. There's such thing as a bad winner as well as a bad loser.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Sickeningly Offaly threw this one away rather than Westmeath winning it. You could blame the wind for the first half scoreline, but I was disappointed by a lot of Offaly's attacking. The options were limited with 2 men inside and Westmeath playing a sweeper, so Offaly needed to have players coming from deeper to join attacks. Offaly's support play for their running game was poor. Too often not enough players not getting on shoulder of the runner or making decoy runs to drag defenders out of position. There was a lot less energy to the play compared to the Longford game. Maybe Offaly expended too much emotional energy in the build up, what with Shane Lowry team talks and the like?

I can see the logic in playing Niall McNamee as he can provide accurate passes to the inside forwards. Put him in there and unless he gets accurate ball, he's not going to win many races for possession. On a couple of occasions, a player lost control of the ball just when a good opportunity was opening up. A key difference was that Westmeath made far less unforced errors.

The second half was a much better effort, but there was a looming inevitability that Offaly would get close but never draw level. With 17 minutes to go, Offaly got within a point haven been 6 behind at the break. The next 21 minutes was a draw. I've seen countless comebacks falter right at the crunch when you need that extra bit of composure or belief to get back on terms.

This was almost a carbon copy of 1997 where you were pleading for Offaly to get out of jail and grab a draw, because after that you felt that there would have been only one winner.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

The incident after the game just should not have happened and hitting Martin was totally wrong but

Martin goading a lad when the game was over gets no sympathy from me........... Sharry started that goading in the first half & twice decked the Offaly player off the ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and me thinking off the ball blocking was now a Black Card but the Ref & Linesman (on the stand side who saw both incidents) just waved it away & Sharry took the opportunity to stick his mouth in the lads face & roar at him.............. I was surprised the Offaly lad or some team-mate did not react !!!! I well remember a few Offaly lads who would not have taken that sh1t.........

As for the football that 45 A Mul gave away in the first half was a killer in the end and he is very slow with the restarts.......

With had a few goal chances..... one in the first half when the player took his eye off the ball and lost it, the Graham G had his shot blocked while Brian D clean through seemed to be tripped and no peno given... Then in the last few minutes a rugby tackle in midfield, no free or Black Card, the Offaly lad lost the ball and they went straight up for a point... These were 2 terrible decisions.........

Having said that we kicked a few awful bad wides late in the game and that last free had to be worked not just kick & hope.........

Bord na Mona man
All Star

At least The Sunday Game footage puts Offaly supporters in the clear, as there were people trying to blame us for the injury.
Martin's behaviour was cheap stuff. It's a sad state of affairs when your reaction to the final whistle is to want to taunt an opponent rather than celebrate a big win. Though there'd be a few more cut from the same cloth as him in that regard.
All that said, reacting with a strike is way over the top. As much as you dislike being on the receiving end, you just have to suck it up and leave it. Revenge is a dish best served cold and next time the sides meet, make sure to remind him of it when the score is the other way around.

tothepoint
Junior C
Club: all

Post by tothepoint »

K Martin got his nose broken because of what he sed and spat at the feet of Smith. Seen the entire thing yes he will get a ban but in the interest of sport so should Martin not necessary what he did

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

the westmeath crowd would stick it in you for sure.what he done was wrong but i dont blame him. remember years ago when offaly were going well our bus always stopped in kinneagad for grub(and refreshments) on the way home if offaly won they would be very quiet but if they lost you would get a good roasting..fcuk them..lets hope they get a good beating next time out..

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Has it actually been confirmed that Martin had his nose broken?
I've seen no mention of it from any reliable sources. Any mention of it seems to be recycling quotes from social media.
A couple of people said it had been broken, moments after it happened and were the same people who claimed a supporter did it. So judge the reliability from that. If it was broken he'd hardly have come out 10 minutes later to meet supporters and do interviews?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

biffinbanner wrote:the westmeath crowd would stick it in you for sure.what he done was wrong but i dont blame him. remember years ago when offaly were going well our bus always stopped in kinneagad for grub(and refreshments) on the way home if offaly won they would be very quiet but if they lost you would get a good roasting..fcuk them..lets hope they get a good beating next time out..
You shouldn't have been giving the bitter lemons any business at that rate! :mrgreen:

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

sorta half way home i suppose and no where else to eat from there home..plus there was an offaly lad had a pub there..

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Has anything happened out of the Kieran Martin incident yet does anyone know.

Our chances of progression are getting harder and harder, if we beat London we could play Cork, Mayo, Monaghan/ Donegal or Westmeath/ Kilare. Hopefully we get a home draw and see can we compete against a division 1 team this year(3/4 chance)

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Buttons wrote:Has anything happened out of the Kieran Martin incident yet does anyone know.

Our chances of progression are getting harder and harder, if we beat London we could play Cork, Mayo, Monaghan/ Donegal or Westmeath/ Kilare. Hopefully we get a home draw and see can we compete against a division 1 team this year(3/4 chance)
Westmeath and Martin are not pushing anything in that regard anyway. It was confirmed after they watched video evidence and seen how unsporting Martin was at the final whistle and didn't want to draw any further attention to his behaviour.

No mention from the referees report it appears so that's probably why there has been no mention by the CCC. If there was going to be anything about it, then it would have had to happen before we played London I would have thought.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'