Offaly vs Westmeath 2016 Leinster Q-final - Sunday June 12th

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Westmeath 2016 Leinster Q-final - Sunday June

Post by kingscounty »

Not long now lads , it's in your hands great opportunity this year to progress further. Play the same way you did the last day , take them on and attack from the very start . I'm absolutely gutted I can't make it this time to the game but I will be listening intently, heart in mouth , jersey on waiting for the cry uibh fhaili uibh fhaili . To Pat and all the lads involved the very best of luck on Sunday , give it fucking everything for 70 mins , empty the tank .

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Dreamt we won by 4, lets hope i am right tomorrow evening, backed to win by 4-6 points at 7/1.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly name the same team as the Longford game.
Westmeath are down a few players from league game - Paddy Holloway, Ray Connellan, Shane Dempsey and Paul Greville. Offaly have gained Bernard Allen since then.

Offaly will hopefully have learned lessons from that day when Westmeath were able to crowd out a lot of Offaly's attacks and force Offaly into bad decisions.
Thankfully there has been a few weeks since the Longford game to get the heads right again. I reckon there would have been a bit to much elation floating about for a week or two afterwards.
Offaly are the better team and logically should win this, but you can never legislate for the sort of random events that take place in the course of a game. A lucky goal or two from the Wasties and the game is on its head.

Let's hope it all goes to plan tomorrow!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Shane Lowry fires up Faithful footballers ahead of derby with Westmeath

Offaly's football management have called on the county's premier sportsman Shane Lowry to deliver some words of motivation in the build-up to Sunday's Leinster quarter-final in Mullingar.

Lowry, golf's world No 41, addressed the squad on Wednesday at the invitation of manager Pat Flanagan.

Lowry, son of former Faithful All-Ireland winner Brendan, won't be in attendance in Mullingar as he intensifies his US Open preparations.

Lowry isn't the first star golfer to address a GAA team in recent years: Padraig Harrington spoke to the Dublin footballers in 2013, and Paul McGinley has helped out Donegal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 88045.html
It's the easiest motivational talk a person could ever give to fire up a sporting team. All you'd have to say is.

"Ye're playing Westmeath lads! WESTMEATH....FFS".

Job done. Players fired up.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Cant sleep .this is the one game i cant bare to lose .lets hope we bring a huge crowd to mullingar and send tthat shower packing ! COME ON OFFALY
great history hoping for a better future

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Best of luck to Pat and the lads today. I myself haven't experienced an Offaly team beating Westmeath in championship football. Was at the game a few years ago in OCP where we were well bet and also at Croker when we lost by a point. Im hoping today is different.

Hoping Pat has worked on some of our weaknesses from the last day, notaby how open the centre was at times. If we tighten this up a tad and have our forwards hitting the mark im confident we will get the job done.

On a side note, the buzz in the county at the min is heart warming. Such a feel good factor at the minute. Im expecting big numbers in Mullingar. Should be a great atmosphere! Cmon Offaly!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of luck to Pat and the lads today.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Best of luck to the footballers today. Hopefully they can keep their good form going.

Esto Fidelis
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

We got what we deserved from that game.

Far too negative in the first half.I do not know who thought it was a good idea to play with a one man full forward line and for Bernard Allen to be the lone player up there.He's about 5ft 7 and is in no way suitable for that role.If they are going to play that way then at least play someone with some height and strength in that role like Niall McNamee.McNamee is being wasted out the field he should be much closer to goal as he's our best scoring treath and needs to be on the end of our moves also he's a great ball winner and could make the players around him in the full forward line better.Lack of composure in the last 10 minutes or so when we had 4 or 5 attacks in a row and got nothing from it but it was our negativity in the first half that lost the game for us when we let Westmeath get a lead up that they could protect in the second half.The team handpass and run the ball far too much, Westmeath played some lovely direct football in the first half and against a team like Westmeath we should be going out to play more FOOTball.

Also the decision to take off Michael Brazil was wrong.He was one of the best players for us today. Eoin Rigney played well also.

Really sickening as we had a great chance to get to a Leinster final that we won't get again and we blew it.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

a big set back for that team had to be the worse half of football that offaly have played in a long time.
another thing the side is lacking is a leader no one stood up to be counted , Niall Mac efford from the last free was crazy he just kicked it like he didn't give a sh.t . one step forward two steps back for this team :(

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Could not understand the persistence of leaving Allen in the full forward line isolated by himself, as for McNamee almost playing as a midfielder/centre forward particularly in the 2nd half was a bad move, I think we were the better footballers but we wasted so many chances..I hope we regroup and get going a run in the qualifiers.. on another note the referee didn't exactly help us, 2 ridiculous black cards and that lot should have had at least 4 black cards. Was there an incident at full time with a few supporters on the pitch?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

townman wrote:a big set back for that team had to be the worse half of football that offaly have played in a long time.
another thing the side is lacking is a leader no one stood up to be counted , Niall Mac efford from the last free was crazy he just kicked it like he didn't give a sh.t . one step forward two steps back for this team :(
Game lost in first half, too much hand passing. Offaly better team in second period, but missed crucial chances to level game. After the euphoria after Longford game, it was back to reality today.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Superted wrote:Could not understand the persistence of leaving Allen in the full forward line isolated by himself, as for McNamee almost playing as a midfielder/centre forward particularly in the 2nd half was a bad move, I think we were the better footballers but we wasted so many chances..I hope we regroup and get going a run in the qualifiers.. on another note the referee didn't exactly help us, 2 ridiculous black cards and that lot should have had at least 4 black cards. Was there an incident at full time with a few supporters on the pitch?
Some fella in a purple shirt seemed to make a run across the field from the terrace side to try and get at the ref.

You would think GAA grounds would learn and leave the gates to the field closed until the refs are off the field.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Kieran Martin had his nose broken by an Offaly player after he went to shake his hand after the game.

Hopefully there is a long ban coming up for whoever that was.Bad enough to lose but to then engage in thuggery like that is unacceptable.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

We scored 12 points and i could probably count 9-10 wides and some of them bad, we didnt have composure in front of the posts. I actually think we were the better team and only for Heslin putting over some super scores he was the difference. I think with the sweeper Cunningham he was too far forward and allowed Heslin/ Pender to be too isolated, it took too long i think for Moloney to double up.

If we beat London we play one of Cork, Mayo/ Galway, Monaghan/ Donegal or Kildare/ Westmeath. Not going to be easy