Offaly v Laois LSHC Quarter-final, Sunday 5th June

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
manfromdelmonte
All Star

Re: Offaly v Laois LSHC Quarter-final, Sunday 5th June

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Great win

Bit of a joke that Westmeath's reward for topping the group was a trimming from Galway while Offaly got a Laois team who are struggling
only the best...

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

great win ,great team display . S Ryan was outstanding my man of the match .
first 7 minutes of the second half was the turning point.
offaly looked fresh , hungry and fit.
the middle third dictated the second half .D king did some job on W Hyland.
C Kiely looks at home in midfield .
Today we played fast direct hurling with a decent game plan .
Best display from offaly in a while .
Well done to all the players and managment .
Great to have got a decent display before the Galway game .
Everything is a bonus for here.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

It was good to get the win after the heavy loss last year to Laois and also after the dreadful showing against Westmeath five weeks ago.

Looking forward we now have Galway in 2 weeks time and given their mauling of Westmeath this will be a massive massive step up. Not sure where the game will be played but I assume it will be a neutral venue. Dublin v Kilkenny is in Portlaoise next Saturday night and is live on TV courtesy of Mr Murdoch !

Looking further forward it means we are out of the Leinster qualifiers for next year, I believe. I genuinely think that it will not do us any favours. I would like to see a Leinster qualifier with 5 teams, the four from this year plus Laois. This would guarantee each team at least 4 games in the championship.

Anyway good luck to the squad for 2 weeks time. Its 2004 since we were last in a Leinster final so let us dream !

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

i thought Gardiner, Kinsella were great but man on match was Sean Ryan, really impressed with the direct hurling, even though we scored 3 goals could have had a few more.

Big joes goal straight after half time and i think a quick point after turned the game in our favour and we never looked back, even when Dooley was getting ready to take the penalty i was thinking take your point and put the gap to 7 rather than let them build momentum but he took it well.

Well done on Tullamore GAA club inviting all in for a cup of tea after the game and to celebrate the win, really rub it in to Laois on 69 minutes.

Next day Galway, nothing to lose and hopefully build on from today and give them a rattle.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Great win and a big lift. WAs very concerned that we gave up our lead. With the breeze going into halftime.

Explosive start to the second half was such a lift. Seemed the belief was there. Delighted for players (especially those who came on as subs and made a substantial impact), the management and all others involved.

Galway next. This is what we wanted. Big step up, but nothing to fear.

Congrats again!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

sam88885a » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:55 pm

A lot of the problem is hurling snobbery .
The so called hurling people think you must go to either birr or banagher school to be an offaly hurler. We all heard about the 9 mile circle around birr that is offaly hurling .
Kk are outside that and so are made feel as outsiders .
Joe Dooley dislike for kk and his blind loyalty to Seir Kierans did huge harm to the prospects of those kk lads ever hurling for offaly , and S Dooley has made sure that kk lads are not welcome into the offaly set up. B Carroll also is to blame .
All 3 have had a really damaging effect on offaly hurling off the field .

Kk have beating offaly recently in a challange ,i guess that when the penny dropped with E Kelly that these kk guys are not the Godshites that people say .
The harm is done now and we are where we are , hopefully we can beat laois .
Intrestingly C Kiely got his first 2 starts for offaly against Carlow and Kerry when he had a bad arm injury and now thats its better he is dropped. Who is picking the team S Dooley ?
I am worried about tomorrow

sam88885a 498 Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

How is this fella not banned from this site?
Well done on a great win today to all involved

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Kevin Connolly caused havoc for Laois back line and won numerous frees and the penalty I thought he was outstanding for us today . Kinsella was excellent and was looking for the ball all day from our puck outs , ran himself into the ground . Big Joe was very quite in the first half and we needed him to wake up and he did so in the second half and Laois couldn't handle him when he got on the ball and took them on. Dooley didn't do a whole lot from play but he was excellent on the frees and penalty and we need him in form the next day out. Ryan dominated midfield and was all over the field great engine , Camon did well also. Demsey in goals for me is the best keeper in Ireland at the moment , he made 2 or 3 outrageous saves , lads we are so lucky to have this guy , he is an unbelievable shot stopper ! The subs were excellent, we normally don't have subs that come on and contribute a whole lot but by god , Kiely, Cleary and the rest did great . Langtons point was super little side step and boom straight over the bar we Laois defender on the ground with a twisted knee trying to stop him. Brilliant performance from the whole squad , and a special mention for Eamonn Kelly and his team , took a lot of criticism the last day so this is sweet for him . Onwards and upwards , great day again for the faithful county !

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Delghted, we needed to make a statement after the loss last year and a few iffy games recently & boy did the lads not half do the job.

Keeper is super,, backs all did well, even after losing Shortt...... Sean Ryan brilliant & Cillian a great support act for him....

Shane caught behind a few times & they scored off those but his striking is class just needs a bit more workk, Mull took his goal well, Big Joe woke up at half time and Connolly working like a ,,,, Murphy some class touches and Kinsella superb,,,,,,,,,,,

Now Galway are a big ask but we gave them a right rattle in Croker a few years back and with the right attitude you just never know.......... especially with full support ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

A very good win but Laois were not good and 10 mins into the second half they just stopped believing they could win the match.
The full back line looked under pressure in the 1th half but the half forwards stopped any ball going in.
Lots to do but better than last year. Laois miles behind last year.
If we get at Galway half back line and break midfield we can push them.
“Common sense is not so common.”

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

I have ridiculed this team since start of year with their lackluster performance's,but I have to congratulate them on their performance today.First time in a long while they actually looked like a team.They played with that bit of grit and determination,showed guile and the fight to win,Pride back within the team.And that's all people of Offaly are looking to see,I just hope now they can dig that little bit deeper against Galway,and get beat they probably will,but go down with a fight,not to drop the head's and give up,So well done lad's and who know's,outside possibility of a leinster final.Would'nt that be some turn around to the year.Now that's something to dig deep for after all the down's earlier in year.Congrat's.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Great win yesterday, huge turnaround from Westmeath game at the start of May. Offaly really pulled away in second half, Galway will be miles better than Laois, so another big performance will be needed.
Just as an aside, Looking at the programme for yesterday, it had a few errors.
Match time 3pm
Title was Craobh Peile Sinsir Laighean Football in English
Laois had 2 captains Cahir Healy and Charles Dwyer, Offaly had no captain listed.
The gremlins got into the works!
Great day for Offaly people..

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Great win super stuff.

I hope we got out thinking we can beat Galway and we are not there to make up the numbers

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

greenairfield wrote:Great win super stuff.

I hope we got out thinking we can beat Galway and we are not there to make up the numbers
Agree with that sentiment.

The bookmakers more or less have Galway in the final already.

It will be a big test for us, but with nothing to lose, no doubt we'll go out with the right mindset.

Anything can happen.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Very satisfying win, despite what the scoreboard might suggest, this game was in balance for 40 minutes.
Offaly's first goal came at a time when Leix looked to be just finding their groove. At half time, you would have felt Offaly had it all to do.
The biggest swing was the opening of the 2nd half, a Leix fella shot a bad wide after the throw in and Offaly went up and Bergin got the goal immediately afterwards.

The work rate from Offaly throughout was magnificent. We've seen in the past, Offaly tearing in for 20 minutes and then either losing steam or interest. Thankfully this wasn't one of those bad old days. Also, Offaly's tackling and hassling is much smarter this year. Everyone doesn't lunge in on the man in possession and start swiping at his hands. Giving away frees (and losing the ref) or leaving others unmarked. Their is a lot more emphasis on putting on pressure and cutting down the options elsewhere. I lost count of the times Offaly players intercepted a sideways Leix pass by smart positional play.

Also, Offaly are trying to be smarter with possession, the trademark blind driving wasn't much in evidence yesterday. Another factor in Offaly's 2nd half surge was the smarter attacking play. The inside forwards moved further apart and Offaly played a lot more diagonal ball to create more 1 vs 1 situations. In the first half they were too close together and the ball was coming down the middle making it easier to defend against.

There is plenty to be worked on, but that win is a great boost!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Semi Final fixed for Portloaise Sunday week at 3:30.

We have a poor recent record there having lost our last 6 championship matches there with the last win In 2008. Hopefully we'll get a performance from the lads. Nothing to fear from Galway to be fair.