Bally v Edenderry

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

far from croghan hill wrote:Firstly, i genuinely do have a problem with the chairman, and as AZOffaly pointed out yesterday, but which the shark gracefully glossed over with a whimper, the chairman has involved himself in issues which dont concern him, and i suspect that the case is similiar this time.

thirdly, and finally as unfortunately i dont have more time, perhaps as was pointed out that i am the only dissenting voice on this issue, that has something to do with the geographic location of the people who post in. perhaps true red or sbor could give an 'edenderry' perspective.
my concern is that cullen has been harshly done by..nothing else
As regards the comments about Ollie Daly, I didn't mean to gloss over them, merely stress that a lot of people were presuming his involvement in the dismissal of O'Kelly and the all-but-dismissal of Fahy, but to be fair to him they were private votes. People specualting on what may have gone on in the background wasn't really appropriate. As for parachuting himself onto the selectors, I have no qualms about calling that what it is - a holy show and a sign of a banana republic in operation.

I don't think geography was really that much of an issue here - nobody on either side wants to see Cullen suspended really, and I don't think you'll find a single poster on here glad that he'll serve six months. And from what I can tell, the Edenderry posters are along similar lines - I don't think any of them would hold Ballycumber responsible for their own club's mistake. Perhaps if Ballycumber and Edenderry agreed to (a) Ballycumber withdraw the objection and (b) Edenderry forfeit the points that might have been the best way out. Again, I'm not sure if that could have been done in accordance with the rules though.

Treasurer
All Star

Penalty

Post by Treasurer »

Penalties:

Member/Player: for illegal participation while under suspension - 24 weeks additional suspension.

Team: for playing a suspended player - forfeiture of game.

(No mention of chairman or secretary.)

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

And so it has come to pass.The career of one of Offaly and Ireland's greatest footballer's has been cruelly ended by a 6 month suspension which the county board was forced to administer due to Ballycumber's complete lack of respect.

Let me state here and now that I acknowledge that Edenderry made a mistake.It was a complete oversight on the club's behalf and the playing of Cullen illegally was not done intentionally.

At the GAC meeting the other night the members of that committee made it clear that they did not want to pursue the objection in any way.The ball was left in Ballycumber's court as to whether they would be receptive to a replay of the game without Cullen.Prior to the meeting Edenderry had made contact via a telephone call and a letter offering this.The phone call was denied as having ever been recieved and the letter was stated to have been recieved at 6pm on Wednesday evening.The letter was sent on the 24th of April and it was copied to the the County Board secretary who recieved it on the 25th of April.

The GAC even adjourned for 10/15 mins to allow Edenderry engage in parlay with Ballycumber and when they went outside the delegates from Ballycumber walked away.

It was obvious then that Ballycumber wanted the points and by way of this wanted Cullen suspended.

I have probably gone into too much detail on the above but i dont care as the fair minded members on this board need to know the truth.

It is a shameful way in which Ballycumber have acted on this issue.When a simple and fair resolution was there for the taking they dismissed it completely.

Some members of this board have questioned whether if the roles were reversed would Edenderry have done the same if a player i.e. Colm Quinn was in the same situation.The answer Unequivocally to that is no,we would not have pursued the objection.

There was a healthy respect between Edenderry and Ballycumber prior to this.We admired their style of football and their classy players.Also the development of their grounds is second to none and anytime we visited Ballycumber to play a league match we were treated well with light refreshments after every match which is always welcome.

However, sadly, this will no longer be the case.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

Interesting comments True Red. I find it difficult to believe that the GAC were just going to let the matter slide, and not take any action at all - this would have meant that Edenderry went unpunished for an illegal activity (ignorance is not an excuse).

However, I feel that if the option of a reply was truely there (if this is within the rules) then this is the option that should have been chosen, as it seems like the most reasonable outcome and in keeping with the spirit of the GAA.

I know if I was on the losing side in the match, a reply (without FC) and a chance to win the points would suffice.

I wonder was it team management/players or was it officials from Bcumber that had the most influence on the decision they took?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

In dilemmas like this, we need The Biff to point out the best solution.
In dilemmas like this, we need The Biff to point out the best solution.

The Biff
All Star

Conflict Resolution

Post by The Biff »

Ok then BnMm, but you dont need to ask me twice.

The first thing is that I think Edenderry have played it clever to let the suspension be handed down first. We all know that Finbarr's best chance of getting off is via the Appeals Process. Knowing how well our County is administered, the amount of loopholes available are probably endless. My suggestion is that if this really was a "Category C" offence, then Edenderry should object on the grounds that it was not made clear whether this was an Uppercase C or Lowercase c. Case dismissed !

Right, that's Edenderry happy again. Now for the Ballyboys.

It would be easy to say that Ballycumber should be awarded the match win, but then there is the possibility that this "cloud" may hang over the rest of their season. From the few Ballyboys I know, they have no conscience whatsoever so we need a different incentive for them; a real "Offaly" solution.

A Replay/Refixture ! If it was good enough for the County Hurlers in 1998 then why not. Look how '98 finished up for that team. So Ballycumber should offer a "refixture" and precedent suggests this will make them a dead-cert to win the Dowling Cup. Extra luck can be earned in this regard if they rebel against their team manager before the Quarter Final so that he resigns in disgust, and then they can draft in Paul O'Kelly (an Edenderry man - added irony) to manage them to success.

Sorted !

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Interesting to see the lack of response from the Ballycumber contingent on this board since the truth has been put on record.

Screw-Leveller
Junior C

Post by Screw-Leveller »

Well red, speaking purely as an onlooker, you seem to be doing enough pissin' and moaning about this incident for all concerned. Maybe it's time to let this one go. Ye broke the rules and ye were punished accordingly. End of story. Build a bridge and get the F*CK over it!

Muck Savage
All Star

agreed

Post by Muck Savage »

Red, as a neutral here I can't see why your having a go at Ballycumber here, they were entitled to object.
E'Derry played an illegal Player, rules state if this happens then they have to be punished. Now your saying that E'derry sent a letter etc. to Ballycumber on the 24th and Phone them as well but Ballycumber are saying they didn't get the call and the letter was late. From a neutral point of view I don't know who is telling the truth on this, real "I said, you said" case. What I would point out is that it was known straight away after the game that FC was played when he wasn't suppose to, game was on the 16th if I remember correct. Why did E'derry wait until the 24th to make contact with B'cumber? Could they not have raised their hands straight away and said we screwed up? It seems like they were trying to see what way things would play out and in that B'cumber were put in a position that they had to object and go to the County Board. Now it baffels me why the County Board have to wait for B'cumber to make an objection before proceeding. The suspension was given to FC from a game that they had no involvement in and it should be up to the County board to uphold this suspension.
I understand that FC played without knowing/remembering he was suspended and to me he should have been let off but someone on the E'derry board given the Suspension. After all they have all the contact with the County board and should be held to this, even if it is a new board in E'derry.
Going after B'cumber on this is unfair, they did what was right for their club and did nothing wrong (unlike E'derry). They got put in a position that they had to object on - the county board could have come in before this or E'derry could have said they screwed up earlier rather than wait for B'cumber to object.
One way or the other it's a pity to see Finbar being dragged through this and I really think the County Board are most to blame here, with the E'derry board taking the rest of the blame. The County Board could have solved this on the side.

stupid like a fox
Junior A

Post by stupid like a fox »

I just wonder if it hadn't been FC who was involved in this incident would we be seeing half the fanfare? Surely when dates are set for suspension its up to the powers that be at the club to keep an eye on things. Sorry but there’s no excuse for that dog ate my homework attitude.