Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

Post by azoffaly »

You think they were easy matches?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i didnt say they were easy but there was not a bit of hard hurling in it.
look its great we won but i agree with Tox Kerry were poor , offaly first touch wasnt good , we were weak in the air , striking was terrible , very poor balls into the forwards untill the last 5 minutes when kerry were gone , hurling was too slow .

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Great that we got through this group.

Another big battle awaits with a chance to continue 'restoring order'.

Congratulations to all involved!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

sam88885a wrote:i didnt say they were easy but there was not a bit of hard hurling in it.
look its great we won but i agree with Tox Kerry were poor , offaly first touch wasnt good , we were weak in the air , striking was terrible , very poor balls into the forwards untill the last 5 minutes when kerry were gone , hurling was too slow .

That's what I mean, they were tough to win. No matter the standard, playing games that you have to try really hard to win brings you on, and builds a bit of morale. I think we all know the standard is off at the moment, but at least the momentum will help, which is what I meant by having 3 games under their belts. If we won those games by 20+ points, I'd be worried we were undercooked coming into Laois.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

fair point but i feel we still have no clear structure to our game even after three championship game .
Laois will be a step up and gives us a chance to start developing as a game plan .
I felt our half forward line look like they never played together before , all 3 were below par and will need to improve .

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Out of curiosity, what was the official attendance at theKerry match ?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Round robin is over and we flying flew through the black clouds and turbulence.

Laois will be no push over but if I was Eamon Kelly I would much prefer a QF against Laois than Galway.

2 weeks break and having Colin Egan back will be a bonus. I agree with all comments on game plan and how the game was played (poor striking etc) but at the end of the day we got ove rthe line. I'd be more worried about how we started. After 10 mins Kerry where 5 to 2 pts ahead and we only started to hurl then. This needs to be addressed or Laois will have us beat @ half time.

I think Mooney will loose out the next day with Camon goin back to the half back line. The half forward line should be stronger with Egan goin to #12 and possibly Kiely goin to midfield.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

llkj wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the official attendance at theKerry match ?

Hopefully we double this for the Laois match

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

NewEra wrote:
llkj wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the official attendance at theKerry match ?

Is the Laois game being played at Birr???. The attendance in Birr would probably exceed 7,000. I trust at this stage that Birr has approval to host an attendance in excess of 7,000 as a result of all the great work they have done.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

NewEra wrote:

Thanks for the response. That is not a bad number. Probably 5-6000 for the Laois match would be normal enough, right?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Sharp Eye wrote:Is the Laois game being played at Birr???. The attendance in Birr would probably exceed 7,000. I trust at this stage that Birr has approval to host an attendance in excess of 7,000 as a result of all the great work they have done.
Leinster council have fixed the game for O'Connor Park Tullamore for 3:30pm on Sunday 5th June. After 8 months of hard training from both teams its only right that the game is played at a state of the art facility. They deserve to have the comfort of the huge dressing rooms and shower facilities. And for supporters parting with their hard earned for a seat they can be sure of keeping out of the elements in the stand if conditions are poor. With the county on a high I think its not unreasonable to expect a crowd of around the 6,000 mark....enough to get the 'Uibh Fhaili' chant going for sure!!! A win here and then over to Mullingar 7 days later to take over the place and dump them out would be sensational.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

3,300 for a single game
6,600 double header
When the turnstiles at the tesco end are done it doubles them figures..
Bracknaghboy bird dressing rooms has seats,hangers,toilets and showers the very same as ocp.all in excellent condition pull back on the insults a lot of people have done a lot of work there in the last few years so stop insulting them about something you have little knowledge on...keyboard warrior..bird is a top class facilities as is ocp

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

You ignored my point. Completely and deliberately. You know darn well what I meant.

And several times now you make a point about the importance rest. Rest, to a high performance athlete, comes in tandem with hard and diligent training. Not as an alternative to high performance training, which is what you are clearly advocating to suit your weeping and wailing in support of players who chose not to opt for the lifestyle expected of an inter-county hurler playing in the Liam MacCarthy cup tier of hurling.
Toxicity234 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:In other words, blaming non participation on Éamonn Kelly is very unfair.
Toxicity234 wrote: There been a lot of talk about players not commitment to the Offaly Panel over the last few weeks.
Its not just an Offaly problem (so calling them Gobshit is very unfair).

I'm looking forward to sunday. Can wait to see the team named.
Sorry just to pick up this.
I think Managers need to have a look at getting better commitment for players by working with the players not trying to enforce the impossible.
Any managers that had asked 50 or 60 of the best in the county players and they haven't been able to commit need to rethink the way he asking players to commit.
How good could Galway be with better players in weak positions.
We talk about improving training. The best trained team in Ireland is the Dublin Football team.
The Dublin Football team are on a 3 week break at the moment. The players are give personal training to maintain there fitness. 20 mins a few time a week for the next 2 weeks.
Managers look and see the heavy training session the strong county do and try to copy them.
Instead of look at the whole training plan for individual players and a team as a whole.
A Manager Job is to manage Training and players to get the best our of the players at his disposal.
Discarding some players will always be part of the job, Discarding half the county is just bad management.
if its Galway, Longford and Offaly its still bad management.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

6,534 attended O'Moore Park for Laois v Offaly last year, so you'd imagine Sunday week wouldn't be dissimiliar. Kerry had but a few dozen supporters in Tullamore last Sunday while Leix will bring a few thousand themselves for what is their big day. They'll be coming to Tullamore looking to bury Offaly hurling for good and forever.
NewEra wrote:

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:You ignored my point. Completely and deliberately. You know darn well what I meant.

And several times now you make a point about the importance rest. Rest, to a high performance athlete, comes in tandem with hard and diligent training. Not as an alternative to high performance training, which is what you are clearly advocating to suit your weeping and wailing in support of players who chose not to opt for the lifestyle expected of an inter-county hurler playing in the Liam MacCarthy cup tier of hurling.
Ok. Let start that the top of your statement. I ignored your point. What point. That Kelly is the manger not responsible for the player he trying to mange.
Your one line statement was "In other words, blaming non participation on Éamonn Kelly is very unfair."
I can back with the point that a manager should mange the players to get the best out of them.

What i have stated is players should do as much training as close to home as they can, The reason for this are two fold.

You talk about Lifestyle. Lifestyle is more than training, Resting, Eating and Working. Lifestyle is as much mental and physical.

1st, The give players responsible to look after themselves, There not kids and players can do training in his own when he has the time.
Personally i training best in the morning. When i was fit i was always 15 second over a mile faster in the morning than at any other time of the day.
If your worried about players not training. there technology that can track to see if players are doing the work,
This technology is so easy to use. it's as easy as typing Modern Hurling or Team spirited.
Training is training, its the same 25 kg weight lifting in Cork is the same as 25kg in Offaly and the same yoga positions in Limerick as in Westmeath.
And now with Technology you don't need the player stand in front of you to see if he did the 10 km in the time your fitness coach has set out from him.

2nd, A player with a happy life and a good life balance is more likely to preform on the pitch.

And LET ME ADD a player doing High Preformance training is massive important. What does that player need to do High Preformance Training.
A gym membership and time. No High Preformance training, No Training can be done if you don't have the time.

So given Player the freedom to commit in a way that a manager can track, Can improve the player fitness(keep improving it) and that gives then recover time is the only way to gave High Preformace Training.

I also know lots of Guys and Girls who are would walk High Preformace training course it doesn't make them better hurlers.
A players of Skill and Fitness is High Preformace Hurling. a fit player who is the 15 best players in his position in the county will ever only rise 4 or 5 places when he super fit so the objected is to get the top 3 or 4 in each position into your panel.
“Common sense is not so common.”