Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
D-Island abu
Junior C
Club: Walsh Island

Re: Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

Post by D-Island abu »

Really looking forward to tomorrow, will have a old championship feeling to it with the losers summer ending.
I'm slightly confident we will come out on top by 3 or 4 points, might even have a little fiver on the 20/1 pp are offering on Shane dooley to out score kerry!!!
Cmon the faithful

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In other words, blaming non participation on Éamonn Kelly is very unfair.
Toxicity234 wrote: There been a lot of talk about players not commitment to the Offaly Panel over the last few weeks.
Its not just an Offaly problem (so calling them Gobshit is very unfair).

I'm looking forward to sunday. Can wait to see the team named.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Driving up from West Waterford for this one - first Offaly hurling game of the year for me - hopefully not the last at the same time. Best of luck to all involved and we should get over the line once lads settle down into the game. Offaly need big support tomorrow. These are the lads who committed to the cause and no doubt have trained hard for the past 6 months. Until this campaign is over - forget about the lads who did not commit.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Best of luck to our county men tomorrow. The footballers seem to have galvinised a bit of the Faithful spirit and great to see fellas talking about support for the hurlers tomorrow. Urging all the support possible for our minors and seniors. See ye on the terrace to build on the farmers tan from last Sunday!

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Congratulations to the hurlers today, and also to our minor footballers. Winning two championship matches on the same day is not to be sneezed at given our recent travails in both codes. Throw in the footballers win last Sunday and it hasn't been a bad last 8 days

After the horror show of Cusack Park we are where we wanted to be at the start and into the quarter finals even if it was a circuitous route. Not much of a prize for Westmeath winning the group and having to play Galway !

I presume that a win against Laois will take us out of the round robin for 2017 ?? Not that I am presuming anything after last year.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Delighted to get the win today, just about scraped the win and get out. Once again we were slow out of the blocks but once we settled we did well to go ahead. Dooleys goal before half time was crucial as i think we were 2 behind at that stage, actually all 3 goals came at important times as it gave us breathing space in the second half.

We have improved a good bit since start of year and hopefully we beat Laois to avoid round robin next year, we wont progress any further as first touch and decision makings werent great. The half forward line were all replaced and hadnt the best of days.

At end of the day a wins a win and its great to have 2 consecutive sunday victories, lets get behind all these teams and see how they go. Its amazing last week terrace full and sun blazing, this week stand full and bloody cold.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Firstly well done to the management and the team , they got terrible criticism over the past few weeks from myself included. The objective was to get out of the group and its done , the games might stand to us against Laois . 3 wins in a week for Offaly teams , can only be positive.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Well done to Offaly players and management on today's win. It was tough at times, but Offaly got there in the end. Now it's Laois on 5th June in Tullamore, and a chance for revenge.
A good day for Offaly, with the minor footballers beating Wexford, to reach the semi finals. Footballers beat Longford last Sunday, to make it a great week all round.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Well done to both hurlers and minor footballers today .
I was impressed by the minor footballers .Should have won by more in my opinion.
They have laois in the semi and i think the have a real chance of make a Leinster final.
The hurlers got a hugely important win today ,i think offaly were a good bit better than Kerry today just left them in the game for a long time.
J Bergin really stood up today and was a leader in every way especially when C kiely was getting involved with the Kerry defender , joe calm him and switched with kiely .
We learnt from the game in birr and their no 11 didnt cause us any trouble today ,thanks to D King .

I have to say E kelly subs all made an impact today.
Well done to the players and managment , we where we expected to be .
Now we need to kick on and i think we will .
offaly hurling people always believe we can beat Laois but after last year we feel we owe Laois one .
Last year really hurt offaly hurling people and those player know that .

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Could not be there but delighted to hear of the 2 wins,,,,,,,

Well done to the minors but absolutely delighted with the HURLERS,,,,,

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

A win thank god.

And the good news is that we have improved from the Carlow game.
The bad news was Kerry were very poor.
The good news was our short puck out were few and far between.
The bad was landing ball down on top of Kevin Connelly vs a much bigger man.
The good was our subs had a impact when they came on.
The bad some of our starter were really poor.
The good was a positive interview after the match.
The bad was the lies and horseshit in the tribune the week before.
The good Joe Bergin hard work.
There No Bad when it come to hard work.
The good Sean Gardiner(and P Guinan) Delivery
The Bad suicidal hand passing from the defenders(over Kerry forward heads)
The Good our back defence position sense.
The Bad our forward position sense. Our corner froward need to more disciplined inhold position.

It a win thank god. Lots to improve on.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Toxicity234 wrote:A win thank god.

And the good news is that we have improved from the Carlow game.
The bad news was Kerry were very poor.
The good news was our short puck out were few and far between.
The bad was landing ball down on top of Kevin Connelly vs a much bigger man.
The good was our subs had a impact when they came on.
The bad some of our starter were really poor.
The good was a positive interview after the match.
The bad was the lies and horseshit in the tribune the week before.
The good Joe Bergin hard work.
There No Bad when it come to hard work.
The good Sean Gardiner(and P Guinan) Delivery
The Bad suicidal hand passing from the defenders(over Kerry forward heads)
The Good our back defence position sense.
The Bad our forward position sense. Our corner froward need to more disciplined inhold position.

It a win thank god. Lots to improve on.
Great to get the win. However when you hear Brendan Cummins praise Eamon Kelly for managing Offaly to defeat 13 man Carlow and Kerry without their best forward, Mickey Boyle, it just shows how far we have fallen as the result against Westmeath has proven.

No effort should be spared in the coming days as Offaly needs to defeat Laois in order to help regain our status.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:In other words, blaming non participation on Éamonn Kelly is very unfair.
Toxicity234 wrote: There been a lot of talk about players not commitment to the Offaly Panel over the last few weeks.
Its not just an Offaly problem (so calling them Gobshit is very unfair).

I'm looking forward to sunday. Can wait to see the team named.
Sorry just to pick up this.
I think Managers need to have a look at getting better commitment for players by working with the players not trying to enforce the impossible.
Any managers that had asked 50 or 60 of the best in the county players and they haven't been able to commit need to rethink the way he asking players to commit.
How good could Galway be with better players in weak positions.
We talk about improving training. The best trained team in Ireland is the Dublin Football team.
The Dublin Football team are on a 3 week break at the moment. The players are give personal training to maintain there fitness. 20 mins a few time a week for the next 2 weeks.
Managers look and see the heavy training session the strong county do and try to copy them.
Instead of look at the whole training plan for individual players and a team as a whole.
A Manager Job is to manage Training and players to get the best our of the players at his disposal.
Discarding some players will always be part of the job, Discarding half the county is just bad management.
if its Galway, Longford and Offaly its still bad management.
“Common sense is not so common.”

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Well done lads. MAssive win in the circumstances. Laois are beatable, especially now that Offaly have 3 tough championship matches under their belts. A rematch with Westmeath in the semis is on the cards :)
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

azoffaly wrote:Well done lads. MAssive win in the circumstances. Laois are beatable, especially now that Offaly have 3 tough championship matches under their belts. A rematch with Westmeath in the semis is on the cards :)
Three tough matches under our belt ??????
Ur joking i hope .