Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

Post by Wing Back »

Just trying to take my mind off the fiasco that is our county board and their actions or inaction in this case.

Just heard that Colin Egan is out for Offaly. Big blow for Offaly. Was really hoping to see him give a big performance as thought the game passed him by in stages against Kerry in Birr.
I really think that we can get the win we need here. I seen Kerry for all they were worth in Birr and they have a couple of nice hurlers but are pretty light around the fringes in my opinion. If Offaly are up for the fight and hopefully Kelly lines out with Bergin and Dooley in the Full forward line. Play Kinsella at Centre Forward and hopefully Sean Ryan will be fit to take his place in midfield along side David King.

Our full back line looked pretty shaky in the 2nd half that day so hopefully we can tighten things up back there.

Verdict: Offaly by 4
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Killeighman
All Star

Re: Offaly Vs Kerry

Post by Killeighman »

Correct Colin Egan is out for 6 weeks with a broken rib. Big loss to the panel after losing Conor Doughan to injury. Offaly dos not play at all well against Kerry and lost by a single point. No reason why they can't go out and beat Kerry by 5 or 6 points at the weekend and have a go at Laois. On a side note, it's great to see the double header in the park next Sunday with the Offaly minor footballers playing Wexford at 1pm in the first game. Pity that it couldn't be done this weekend with the two games but what can you do. We're needed now more than ever as Offaly supporters and there is no reason why we can't get out and support all our teams and drive them on

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:Correct Colin Egan is out for 6 weeks with a broken rib. Big loss to the panel after losing Conor Doughan to injury. Offaly dos not play at all well against Kerry and lost by a single point. No reason why they can't go out and beat Kerry by 5 or 6 points at the weekend and have a go at Laois. On a side note, it's great to see the double header in the park next Sunday with the Offaly minor footballers playing Wexford at 1pm in the first game. Pity that it couldn't be done this weekend with the two games but what can you do. We're needed now more than ever as Offaly supporters and there is no reason why we can't get out and support all our teams and drive them on
Vital game on Sunday, time for all real supporters to get behind Offaly. Win and it'sLaois on5th June inTullamore.
We have to win though.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

I think Id like my team lined out like the following

1. Dempsey
2. Rigney
3. Shortt
4. McDonald
5. Camon
6. Gardner
7. A.N. OTHER
8. Ryan
9. King
10. Murphy
11. Kinsella
12. Kiely
13. Connolly
14. Bergin
15. Dooley

Not sure who to slot in at wing back. Possibly put King back there and slot someone else into the mid field. Id like to leave King in the middle though if at all possible.

We're not over burdened with options.

Any opinions?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kerry, Leinster round robin, Sunday 22nd May

Post by bracknaghboy »

LMFC Q-Final Offaly v Wexford 1pm
LSHC Round Robin Offaly v Kerry 3pm

No excuses lets get out and support both teams. Great atmosphere at the Longford game and the support goes a long way to showing the players their efforts are appreciated. No doubt some of the local media and certain ex players will be hoping for a poor crowd and a defeat for the hurlers so they can continue their doom and gloom agenda and hog the airwaves for another week but I've a feeling the footballers win has lifted the county and the boys will deliver the goods also on Sunday.
Great to see the the meet the hurlers kids day on Sunday morning (there were even some fellas complaining about this last week :roll: ) was a big success, fair play to all involved and the players for taking the time. Time to leave the negativity at the door support the teams and enjoy the upcoming games......there will be plenty of time after to sort out the issues that are there but now is the time to support our teams.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Wing Back wrote:I think Id like my team lined out like the following

1. Dempsey
2. Rigney
3. Shortt
4. McDonald
5. Camon
6. Gardner
7. A.N. OTHER
8. Ryan
9. King
10. Murphy
11. Kinsella
12. Kiely
13. Connolly
14. Bergin
15. Dooley

Not sure who to slot in at wing back. Possibly put King back there and slot someone else into the mid field. Id like to leave King in the middle though if at all possible.

We're not over burdened with options.

Any opinions?
I taught Sean Cleary put in a good shift against Carlow the last day and Sampson n Mullrooney looked decent.Sean Ryan will be a big bones and hopefully Niall Wynne is back for selection and I would start him ahead of Rigney.
My 15 would be:

Dempsey
Wynne
Shortt
McDonald
Camon
Gardiner
King
Ryan
Murphy
S Cleary
Kinsella
Kiely
Mullrooney
Bergin
Dooley

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

bracknaghboy wrote:LMFC Q-Final Offaly v Wexford 1pm
LSHC Round Robin Offaly v Kerry 3pm

No excuses lets get out and support both teams. Great atmosphere at the Longford game and the support goes a long way to showing the players their efforts are appreciated. No doubt some of the local media and certain ex players will be hoping for a poor crowd and a defeat for the hurlers so they can continue their doom and gloom agenda and hog the airwaves for another week but I've a feeling the footballers win has lifted the county and the boys will deliver the goods also on Sunday.
Great to see the the meet the hurlers kids day on Sunday morning (there were even some fellas complaining about this last week :roll: ) was a big success, fair play to all involved and the players for taking the time. Time to leave the negativity at the door support the teams and enjoy the upcoming games......there will be plenty of time after to sort out the issues that are there but now is the time to support our teams.
I don't think that any of the local media or ex players want a poor crowd or Offaly to lose this weekend. To be honest that's an awful accusation to throw at any Offaly person. Most views had ample foundation and for it to be getting some national attention is a good thing, as then maybe the problems will be addressed instead of doing what countless county boards before them have done................which you won't dispute was 'ignoring the issue and passing the buck'. Also I think the Sunday Morning meeting with the senior hurlers was a great initiative........but I think in the lead up to a huge game, the timing was questionable. I've started a separate thread for contributors to voice their opinions on the county board instead of diluting thee match threads and taking from them as a spectacle.

But I do agree with you on one thing that after a great win in last Sunday, hopefully another day of great support is on the cards, particularly with a double header. Offaly addressed a run of 3 defeats against Carlow and hopefully they can build on that against Kerry. Let’s hope the supporters come out in full voice as the Hurling squad and mentors are trying their best. It’s not them that have let Offaly supporters down….It’s the County Board.

A win this Sunday will see us against Laois with hope for advancement during the Summer…..but lets take it one game at a time.

Esto Fidelis

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i dont know of anyone who want a poor crowd on sunday .
i will be there but honestly its a struggle not to watch tipp and cork instead .
it up to e kelly and his team to finally stand up and get the supporters behind them . if there is a poor crowd on sunday its the players and managment fault not ex players or media .
loosing to kerry on sunday is unthinkable unbareable to a lot of offaly hurling people and the simply dont have the heart to be there if such a disaster were to happen.
i be there and i expect us to get the win but i dont expect anything easy.

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

i dont know of anyone who want a poor crowd on sunday .
i will be there but honestly its a struggle not to watch tipp and cork instead .
it up to e kelly and his team to finally stand up and get the supporters behind them . if there is a poor crowd on sunday its the players and managment fault not ex players or media .
loosing to kerry on sunday is unthinkable unbareable to a lot of offaly hurling people and the simply dont have the heart to be there if such a disaster were to happen.
i be there and i expect us to get the win but i dont expect anything easy.

How is it a struggle not to watch your own county and instead watch Cork and Tipp? I couldn't make the league game in Birr and I was glued to the phone checking updates, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to watch any other game between the 4th and 5th best Munster counties while my own was in a championship game. Look we are all pissed off with the way Offaly hurling is now but the players and management, the ones the county board has let down the most, are the one dedicating and sacrificing their lives, the least we can do is give them a Sunday afternoon and give them our full backing. Win lose or draw.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Its a struggle when u compare what we got used to in the 80s and 90s .
I was at the Laois Limerick and Kerry league games and u could see we were in trouble.

They great teams we had, great warriors like P Horan , P Fleury J Kelly A Fogerty M Hanamy H Rigney and some of the most skilfull players ever in Johnny Dooley, Johnny P ,Sid, and J Troy.
We should have built on the tradition those guys created ,we didnt and now we are back struggling to beat teams that we had surpassed 30 years ago .
Yes Offaly need our support and i will be there .
PS . I wouldnt rate tipp 4 or 5 in Munster , i think they have a real chance of been dark horses this year , M Ryan has impressed me during the league.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

sam88885a wrote:Its a struggle when u compare what we got used to in the 80s and 90s .
I was at the Laois Limerick and Kerry league games and u could see we were in trouble.

They great teams we had, great warriors like P Horan , P Fleury J Kelly A Fogerty M Hanamy H Rigney and some of the most skilfull players ever in Johnny Dooley, Johnny P ,Sid, and J Troy.
We should have built on the tradition those guys created ,we didnt and now we are back struggling to beat teams that we had surpassed 30 years ago .
Yes Offaly need our support and i will be there .
PS . I wouldnt rate tipp 4 or 5 in Munster , i think they have a real chance of been dark horses this year , M Ryan has impressed me during the league.
Living on the past there Sam , forget about what was and deal with what is . Take a leaf out of last Sunday's performance, Flanagan is building a team that was in a desperate situation for a few years , he has goals and targets, the supporters appreciate his efforts , the hurlers need our support Sunday, let's get the win and then building a team is what will be needed after it.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Great opportunity for the hurlers to get out there and start restoring a bit of order in front of an enthusiastic crowd.

Good luck to the Minor Footballers and the Senior Hurlers on the day!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I know GAA team selections are a joke at the best of times, but the one announced by Kerry for Sunday shows four changes in personnel from the team announced for last March's NHL match.

All four changes are in the forwards. The 'back 9' is the same nine, though only McCabe, Kelly and Griffin will wear the same numbers.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 24849.html

There been a lot of talk about players not commitment to the Offaly Panel over the last few weeks.
Its not just an Offaly problem (so calling them Gobshit is very unfair).

I'm looking forward to sunday. Can wait to see the team named.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Team named
Dempsey
Rigney
Shortt
McDonald
Mooney
Gardiner
King
Ryan
Camon
Murphy
Kinsella
Kiely
Mulroooney
Bergin
Dooley

Subs Mahon, Cleary, Connolly, Conneely, Wynne, Kelleher, Sampson, Guinan, Langton, Spollen, Cleary
Well the team wont be playing in them positions anyway