Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by Toxicity234 »

Physically bullied in the 1st 20 mins. Half backs, midfield, half forward bullied.
Colin fennelly took the half backs to the cleaners. Michael took the two midfielder my himself.
A bad day a the office for Offaly but nothing we can't come back from with a better team selection.
Kilkenny are the target we need to get to.
The 1st thing we have to learn from Kilkenny is if you have the chance to make a physical mismatch take it and then hit the ball long direct in on top of the mis match.

There was a lot of talk about man up early in the year but if your manager creates david vs goliath in positions where you need battle hard warrior your in trouble. half backs, midfield and half forwards you can get away with only one mismatch not 3 or 4.

Its the end of the league and things are a little less clear then we like.
The good was Paddy Rigney, Conor Doughlan and Sean Gardiner. We did plays well in parts in the Wexford, Laois and Limerick games.

The bad was Kerry, Kilkenny and Clare. The team selection around midfield, Half forward had been poor at time.
Players falling off the panel at an alarming rate isn't good. putting out a team to get hammered is disappointing.
The lack of strong midfielder, half backs and half forwards were getting pushed around a bit.

Overall the managers inconsistency has made build on good patches very hard.

Looking forward. While i dislike added to the panel after the end of Jan. It would be time to added a little power to the midfield, Half back and half forward line. Sean Coughlan, Sean Dolan, Mark Egan, Crowe etc. a few lads that will protect the likes Kevin Connolly and Padraig Guinan and fight the battle.

The one thing that has really surprise me. this year the good tipp hurling lads i know have been tell me that Kelly is a good manager, to the point that they see him as a future tipp manager.
Since Kerry that changed. They were laugh at us losing to Kerry but they were bulling with the way we lost to Kilkenny.
Kelly stock has fall off a cliff in his home county. they didn't expect us to come close to Kilkenny but idea that he would pick a team to be pushed around is something that Tipp people dislike.
The point is that is if Eammon Kelly had an ambition to manage Tipperary in the future its gone now unless Offaly take a big step forward in the championship that mean taking a big team.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Would not agree about Kelly's stock falling due to defeat to kk. It was expected no matter who was over offaly that it would be a big defeat. Defeat to kerry entirely the players fault. There are certain teams where if you have better players you will win against. Kerry are one of these teams. Also it was posted here that kerry were glad to be rid of E Kelly. After where he brought them I doubt it, they were more annoyed with who he went to rather than he being a poor manager. Offaly problems are far deeper.the Senior inter county team is only a symptom of what is really happening within the county.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I gotta agree with much of what you say on Éamonn Kelly.

Problem is that you have lads around here who post dúirt bean liom stuff they made up, in order to back up their own prejudices.

The contrast in the respective physiques of the two teams on Sunday was massive too, the result of a decade of paying no attention to S&C. That didn't begin with Éamonn Kelly.
private joker wrote:Would not agree about Kelly's stock falling due to defeat to kk. It was expected no matter who was over offaly that it would be a big defeat. Defeat to kerry entirely the players fault. There are certain teams where if you have better players you will win against. Kerry are one of these teams. Also it was posted here that kerry were glad to be rid of E Kelly. After where he brought them I doubt it, they were more annoyed with who he went to rather than he being a poor manager. Offaly problems are far deeper.the Senior inter county team is only a symptom of what is really happening within the county.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: The contrast in the respective physiques of the two teams on Sunday was massive too, the result of a decade of paying no attention to S&C. That didn't begin with Éamonn Kelly.
I agree 100% that over the last number of years our S&C hasn't been great.
but we have to have a bit of common scene. putting Kevin Connoly up against Micheal Fennelly in a midfield battle was madness. If that battle was Micheal Fennelly at Corner back vs Kevin Connolly at Corner forwards plus space. Connolly would take him to the cleaners.
Does anyone here believe at if Kevin Connolly was doing the Kilkenny training for last 10 years that he was going to bully a half fit Michael Fennelly in a midfield battle? given that he 6 inchs and 2 stone lighter than Fennelly.
I like Connolly but give him space and let him get stuck in. not into a battle in 4 yards of ground against five 6'2 plus, 13 stone plus men.
you could give Connolly steroids and he still struggle with Fennelly in midfield.
And you could give Fennelly steroids and he still struggle to mark Connolly at Corner forward.
Horses for Courses. you wouldn't send Hickstead to Cheltenham and you wouldn't send Red Rum to the RDS shows.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

When I heard the commentary that Connolly was midfield against Fennelly I wondered was it just a Gerry Russell special, but its true?

Ah Jaysus...

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

tox i agree totally and its not the players fault that offaly were bullied ,putting k connolly p guinan and s ryan in the engine room insured that, and putting c doughan who is u 21 on c fennelly was madness ,as was putting p camon on w walsh .
Any one that has watch the club championship knows that when its gets physical p camon steps back. both are really good hurlers but they need time .
c kiely is the same really 2 or 3 years away from been able to be a leader even at club level .
i think d shortt would have been more suited to centre back on fennelly and put doughan in midfield .
it will be intresting to see if e kelly reacts to such a defeat . fitness has improved but my fear is we may have more done than some team s early on and it covered over some problems .
p murphy p rigney and s kinsella are the positives from this league

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Jaysus Sam you haven't a clue.

Sean Ryan is possibly the most physical or strongest hurler in Offaly even if he is 5ft 7.

Putting Doughan midfield would not work as he isn't mobile enough every other county midfielder are very athletic, one of the things Doughan isn't is athletic.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i didnt say anything about s ryan , i agree he is a strong for his size run a bit too much with the ball for me . as c doughan he is not ready to be offaly centre back yet that my opinion and ur welcome to yours opinion too greenairfield .

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I find it ironic to see all the plaudits Paddy Rigney is getting (well deserved by the way) considering this is the same Paddy Rigney that our management team felt wasn't up to the standard of inter-county hurling and dropped him after Christmas. And was only brought back into the panel because Emmet Nolan made himself unavailable.

The dog on the street would know Paddy Rigney is an excellent defender from looking at the club championship over the last couple of years or the Offaly U21's last year (was easily our best defender vs Wexford) yet Eamon Kelly et al couldn't see it. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Just read up on this now.
just a few thing.
No manager can lose to Kerry and then by 24 points to Kilkenny and not have people look at his decisions.
If people didn't, you worry about there ability to think.
For people outside the county looking at results only would see us peak at Wexford and them sharp decline afterwards.
And if people like it or not that what people see.
Personally, What i saw in the league was Offaly showing they can match anyone when we get the team selection correct.
Yeah, there loads to work on for the team but there loads for Kelly and his management team to improve about there management.
If the team is to improve then the players need to work on there mistake but the same thing Must be said about the management team.
Any good management team need to assess the performance of the team after the league
but management teams are far less likely to assess there own performance.
Kelly management team has done a very good job in some regards but coming to the end of the league and we ran out of physical strong players in key positions.
They need look at what they as a management team can do to keep all players on the panel. Injury players normal come around midfield half back/forward line. why because there the one taking and giving the hard hits so that where you need to have cover in the panel.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

the managment have to take some of the blame for the kerry and kilkenny defeats . they didnt react to kerry stepping up a gear in the second half in birr and there team selection was wrong against kilkenny .
they managment have a couple of weeks to get the basics right , we look like we could without c doughan for a while . our option dont look great with the current panel.
club games had no surprises , maybe clareen easy win over tullamore , coolderry did what the needed by winning , kk look hungry with k grogan and d currams class shining out . birr easily beat kinnity with e nolan and s ryan staring . rynagh stumbled passed ballinamere and shinrone beat belmont without c doughan .
i wonder did e kelly see many prospects for the county ??
laois turned things around in week hopefully we can do the same .

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Lads...is Dan Currams on the minor panel?

Does Kevin Grogan wish to hurl for Offaly?

Did Emmet Nolan decide he couldn't give the desired commitment for County hurling this year?

I know ye are only passing comment on the performance of players in the club championship, but please don't be saying Kelly should bring these players in.
We have to lay down a marker for commitment if we want to close the gap or else things will never change.

Ballinamere kept it respectable by all accounts against Rynaghs

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Lads...is Dan Currams on the minor panel?

Does Kevin Grogan wish to hurl for Offaly?

Did Emmet Nolan decide he couldn't give the desired commitment for County hurling this year?

I know ye are only passing comment on the performance of players in the club championship, but please don't be saying Kelly should bring these players in.
We have to lay down a marker for commitment if we want to close the gap or else things will never change.

Ballinamere kept it respectable by all accounts against Rynaghs
sorry my point was that there was really nothing new in any of the games yesterday , both k grogan and d currams stood out compared there county team mates j gorman and c kiely , and o mahon wasnt even used as a sub .

c kiely was the one kk player whos workrate was behind his team mates yesterday which must be a concern for e kelly and the u 21 manager . as e nolan we saw why he is a loss to offaly but he has to make decisions for his future and that has to be respected.
i was hoping that some player might put his hand up for consideration for offaly .
Maybe there did but i missed it .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I know who 'c doughan' is, but 'a while'? Who's he? Is he from Kilcormac? Or should that be 'k killoughey'?
sam88885a wrote: without c doughan for a while . our option dont look great with the current panel.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I know who 'c doughan' is, but 'a while'? Who's he? Is he from Kilcormac? Or should that be 'k killoughey'?
sam88885a wrote: without c doughan for a while . our option dont look great with the current panel.
I'd bring the following players onto the panel...
p ennis, s lavery, c rock, a hoare, w anchor, a ryan, m lester.