2016 Offaly Club Draws

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2016 Offaly Club Draws

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:It does, unfortunately.

You can play with another club but you need to apply for permission at the first County Board meeting of the year.

Permissions granted in January are as follows -

Ballinagar: adult hurling with Clodiagh Gaels
Ballycommon: all hurling with Tullamore
Ballyfore: adult hurling with Edenderry
Capppincur: Ger Treacy, Hugh Treacy, Hubert Healion and Barry Mooney Senior hurling with Tullamore
Daingean: adult hurling with Edenderry
Raheen: adult hurling with Clodiagh Gaels
St Brigid's: adult hurling with Edenderry

So, did Ballyfore, Daingean and St Brigid's not know Edenderry weren't fielding an adult hurling team this year?
theoutsider wrote:Does that mean then that anyone who wants to play hurling and is from Edenderry, Ballyfore, Daingean, Rhode, Clonmore, Croghan cant play Hurling in 2016? Not even with another club?
As far as I know Edenderry didn't confirm in time whether or not they were entering a team , they sent a message out to players end Feb start of March saying if they want to play hurling text back . Surely just let lads play that want to play and keep some sort of interest going this end!

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Thanks for that Plain - I had a feeling they never looked for permission from other clubs.

Does that mean next year any of those players can look for permission off their nearest hurling club to play?

Kingscounty hit the nail on the head. When the club turned down a hurling sub committee, that was the beginning of the end! Its actually sad to see to be honest. Thats roughly nearly a quarter of the county (geographically) that are without club hurling in 2016.

At the same time though we cant be relying on Edenderry to field a team - why not people who are interested get together and form a new club? I for one would volunteer no problem. If players want hurling that bad then lets take a proactive approach and form a team.

Fair play to Gracefield been able to field 22+ Players in a league game, its not easy to get 22 players for a football league game never mind a hurling one! Would love to see them push on now and win the Junior A this year.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good article in last weeks Tullamore tribune about state of hurling in Edenderry, could someone put a link up of it , I haven't a clue of how to do it !

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

kingscounty wrote:Good article in last weeks Tullamore tribune about state of hurling in Edenderry, could someone put a link up of it , I haven't a clue of how to do it !
Missed that unfortunately. Any chance anyone has a link, would love to read it. Thanks

Was their much in it Kingscounty?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

theoutsider wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Good article in last weeks Tullamore tribune about state of hurling in Edenderry, could someone put a link up of it , I haven't a clue of how to do it !
Missed that unfortunately. Any chance anyone has a link, would love to read it. Thanks

Was their much in it Kingscounty?
Yeah good bit outsider , history of the club and all about other clubs that had teams down the years.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Loneshark might be able to work his magic and put article up here !!!

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

What a draw in the football! Training will be going up a few notches after last nights draw. Saw a statistic that every winner of the Dowling Cup since 1997 in Group 1. Going to be really interesting. Clara will be up against it IMO..have they replaced the manager does anybody know.

Senior B equally as interesting. Last year's finalists, Durrow, Brigids, who were relegated last year, Shamrocks, who by all accounts are motoring very well and Intermediate winners from last year, Cappincur.

Interesting year ahead. Personally I have mixed feelings on the new format. A lot less games for club players. I felt the format last year (Senior A aside) was very good and went down to the wire in both Senior B and Intermediate. It is an absolute joke that K/K pulled out of football. A group of 3 in the Intermediate. I would have promoted junior finalists, Ballycommon to fill their slot.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

SAFC G1: Rhode, Tullamore, Edenderry, Clara
G2:Gracefield, St Rynagh's, Ballycumber, Ferbane

SBFC G1: Shamrocks, Cappincur, Durrow, St Brigid's
G2: Doon, Tubber, Walsh Island, Raheen

IF G1: Shannonbridge, Daingean, Tullamore, Clonbullogue
G2: Erin Rovers, Bracknagh, Rhode

JAFC G1: Tubber, Kilclonfert, Edenderry, Birr,Ballinagar
G2:Clonmore H, Durrow, Ferbane,Ballyfore
G3: Ballycommon,Clodiagh G, Clara,Shamrocks

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yes, T, only it doesn't have to be the 'nearest' hurling club.

The 2014 by-law read as follows (and I'm not aware of it having being changed in the meantime) - "Where there is no adult football team in a Parish, a player from a hurling Club, in that Parish, may play with a football team, and vice versa, within the County".

Another by-law, also from 2014 reads "The first meeting of the County Committee each year shall be held in January, to accept applications for transfer within the county and deal with applications for reinstatement or players opting for their First Club. After that date no further applications for transfer will be considered except Inter-County transfers".
theoutsider wrote:Thanks for that Plain - I had a feeling they never looked for permission from other clubs.

Does that mean next year any of those players can look for permission off their nearest hurling club to play?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Yes, T, only it doesn't have to be the 'nearest' hurling club.

The 2014 by-law read as follows (and I'm not aware of it having being changed in the meantime) - "Where there is no adult football team in a Parish, a player from a hurling Club, in that Parish, may play with a football team, and vice versa, within the County".

Another by-law, also from 2014 reads "The first meeting of the County Committee each year shall be held in January, to accept applications for transfer within the county and deal with applications for reinstatement or players opting for their First Club. After that date no further applications for transfer will be considered except Inter-County transfers".
theoutsider wrote:Thanks for that Plain - I had a feeling they never looked for permission from other clubs.

Thanks for the info Plain. I was thinking Gracefield would be the nearest club but from the by laws it looks like Tullamore could be another option or Ballinamere - if they would take a few Junior hurlers!