Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by sam88885a »

townman wrote:sam88885a i agree with Kelly not having a clue and yes maybe theres a few players not in the squad that should be, but lets be fair Currams, Conor Mahon, Slevin, Parlon, were there the last two years and we were shocking again laois and kilkenny in 2014, as for Ger Healion great bit of stuff but i think his gone on abit mind you he would be better than most who hurl today. the problem i have with Eamon Kelly is there are players who are getting the run around every game but still get picked the next day, Paddy Murphy had an off day again kerry and was dropped for today, but he was great when he came on and should have started the game.

if we continue with the same backline that have hurl again kerry and kilkenny today we can forget about topping the round robin group, and yes i said yesterday about our midfield today they were like mascotts standing for the throw in. as a kilkennyman said in the stand a traning match between the kilkenny squad would have been better for them, and another said offaly were like a junior B team put together the morning of the game and the sorry thing is i would have to agree, :(
i agree with most of what your saying but to be fair offaly have never managed to get currams mahon kilmartain etc playing together in their best positins at the same time . as for g healion if he was only able to stand at full back or centre back, c fennelly would not run staight through the middle .

surely a team like this would stand a chance of competing physically . and if g healion has not got pace enough bring in d shortt .
the problem in my opinion is the 7 softest of that 15 started today .

j demsey
c doughan
g healion
c kiely
s coughlan
b leonard
p camon
d kilmartain
c egan
s kinsella
c mahon
p murphy
s dooley
j bergin
d currams

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Sam88888 your like a broken record kk players across the board any player who isn't there has no interest or can't be there,others are coming back from bad injurys..b Leonard dropped himself off the Offaly panel like a lot of the lads your talkin about..also a lot of the have had chances and not worked..your having a laugh mentioning healion at this stage..so support the lads who want to play

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

sam88885a wrote:
j demsey
c doughan
g healion
c kiely
s coughlan
b leonard
p camon
d kilmartain
c egan
s kinsella
c mahon
p murphy
s dooley
j bergin
d currams
Jaysus, I can't believe you've left out 9 Kilcormac-Killoughey lads!
Don't be worrying about quotas and token selections from other clubs...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I wonder why is it that Offaly routinely pick up serious trimmings from Kilkenny, yet teams of roughly our own level or slightly better than us can be far more competitive?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I wonder why is it that Offaly routinely pick up serious trimmings from Kilkenny, yet teams of roughly our own level or slightly better than us can be far more competitive?
We have a mental block with Kilkenny, just can't handle them. You are correct about other 1Bteams, look at Limerick, beat Dublin away, and Wexford just lost by a point to Waterford.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

SearingDrive wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:I wonder why is it that Offaly routinely pick up serious trimmings from Kilkenny, yet teams of roughly our own level or slightly better than us can be far more competitive?
We have a mental block with Kilkenny, just can't handle them. You are correct about other 1Bteams, look at Limerick, beat Dublin away, and Wexford just lost by a point to Waterford.
Offaly do not have a "mental block". When you play Kevin Connolly at midfield (instead of corner forward) on Michael Fennelly you cannot expect a competitive contest. Management talk about great work they are doing in training (Conor Gleeson etc), their recording of numbers (hooks & blocks etc) what about their "team selections" and "game plans"??.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

townman wrote: as a kilkennyman said in the stand a traning match between the kilkenny squad would have been better for them, and another said offaly were like a junior B team put together the morning of the game and the sorry thing is i would have to agree, :(
Shur you probably had your Kilkenny jersey on ya anyway!!

All joking aside, that was a very disappointing result and wasn't needed going into the round robin. Hopefully they can regroup after the round of championship and give the round robin a right good lash. No doubt about it they're going to get 3 testing matches and hopefully we'll be in the q/f at the end of it. I think yesterday and the last game proved we are a bit light in numbers and I'd like to see management have a look at the matches this weekend and maybe pick up one or two that can offer something for the championship.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i like a broken record saying kk are the only bunch of offaly lads that didnt melt against a kilkenny team in recent years when the game get physical .
i think a couple of men in key areas would help our cause . j brady was the real leader of coolderry because he never got bullied . offaly are too easily bullied ,it one thing not to be able to hurl kilkenny but at least we should be able to stand beside them man for man.
offaly should hate kilkenny for trashing them over and over again, any other county would but offaly are admiring kilkenny instead . players and fans have no self respect as hurlers people in my opinion .

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

big difference between club and intercounty teams.im saying them players had there chances before and never took it.what they offered to kk they didn't offer it to Offaly to the same extent..some of them not all.offaly making the quarterfinals was what everyone was expecting maybe in a different manner but they done it..the result yesterday was disappointing but now the goal has to be get out of the round robin series..lets hope players and management learn from the last 2 defeats

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

thats the problem keiap Eamon Kelly is not learning he still picks players who are out hurl in there poistions every sunday, and i also belive Kerry would have gave kilkenny a better game.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Sharp Eye wrote:
SearingDrive wrote:
Offaly do not have a "mental block". When you play Kevin Connolly at midfield (instead of corner forward) on Michael Fennelly you cannot expect a competitive contest. Management talk about great work they are doing in training (Conor Gleeson etc), their recording of numbers (hooks & blocks etc) what about their "team selections" and "game plans"??.
Explain a 24 point defeat yesterday, 26points in 2014,different manager then, add in double digit losses in the last decade.
I still think it is a mental problem, Offaly are not 24 points worse than Kilkenny.
Maybe if it was played in Birr things would be different, but Kerry blew that delusion away. Someone said Offaly should go out and absolutely hate Kilkenny with a passion, not stand admiring them.
Eamon Kelly is the manager, for the present, let him get on with it in the championship. Maybe you might put your name forward for 2017, see if you can do better.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

maybe the game would have been won if it was in OCP :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The predictable reaction from the usual babies around here.

It's the 4th of April. The clocks have only gone forward.

And Offaly aren't going to encounter a team of Kilkenny's caliber for the foreseeable future again.

Alot of work to do, but waaay to early to panic.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The predictable reaction from the usual babies around here.

And Offaly aren't going to encounter a team of Kilkenny's caliber for the foreseeable future again.

The worry is that the team selection on sunday didnt correct the problems from the kerry game ,it made them worse .
i agree its only april and maybe its the kick offaly and e kelly needed to be ready for a tricky round robin in a few week.

we cannot allow teams to win puckouts and run at us , as happened on sunday and against kerry leaving the full back line isolated.

picking 3 small lads was in the engine room of the team was mad . i would have expected c kiely to have been deployed as a defensive midfielder to help out c doughan .
offaly are better than yesterday but offaly hurlers seem in awe of kilkenny and let them walk all over them physically and take 20 point hammering as alright nowadays .
is there a case for puting c egan to centre back,he moved there during the laois game and got offaly hurling more on the front foot . i felt he should have gone centre back against kerry with doughan and kiely in midfield so we could have a platform to hurl from.
Surely we cannot expect an improvement without changes.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The predictable reaction from the usual babies around here.

Thanks to Offaly being involved in the Round Robin, the championship starts on May 1st which is less than 4 weeks. Offaly may not encounter Kilkenny, but they will encounter Kerry on May 22nd. The last two performances are a cause for concern.