Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by bracknaghboy »

Just to confirm. Offaly hurlers ARE into the league quarter finals. Neither Laois nor Wexford can finish ahead of them due to the head to head rule. Win or draw against Kerry and its finish 3rd. Lose and its finish 4th. Surprised Eamon Kelly didn't know this when talking after the game....then again actually I'm not surprised.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

If wexford and kerry both win the next day they would all be on 4 points with offaly, would it not go to score difference then, offaly are -7 to kerrys -32 anyway

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Technically that's not the case. If Offaly were to lose to Kerry and Wexford were to beat Laois we would have Offaly, Kerry and Wexford all on 4 points. In this situation score difference comes into play. That currently reads:

Offaly -7
Wexford -3
Kerry -32

So a 13 point loss for Offaly against Kerry coupled with a Wexford win over Laois sees Offaly miss out on q-finals and go into relegation playoff.

So it seems Eamonn Kelly does know what he was talking about after all.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

There's a serious pep in my step this morning going into work. Well done to all involved. A superb performance by Offaly yesterday where they made Wexford look very ordinary. Lets hope we won't be complacent and put in another solid performance against Kerry next weekend. I wasn't confident in our chances going into this one at all, especially after what happened in the Walsh Cup semi final where we only managed 1 point from play against a much weaker Wexford line-up.......But in fairness to Eamon Kelly he obviously has the lads well drilled and coming to the boil nicely, they put in a polished and convincing display yesterday. Wexford hammered Kerry and were unlucky to lose to Clare, so Offaly can take plenty of confidence from this.

Well done again and lets drive on now and do ourselves justice for the remainder of the league.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

lets start at the top.
I just wanted to express my sympathy to Niall Wynne and his family on the death of his grandmother.

Wexford is a long long drive and when your Sat nav bring you the long way it's very long.

The match itself was an interesting one.
We start off asleep but the penalty was soft very very soft.
The second goal we could have cleared 4 or 5 times. Two really soft goals. 3 mins in and i was think fuck that was a long drive for this.
But Jesus the response. Ryan spanked Harry Kehoe in midfield.
But Joesph Bergin grabbed the game by the neck and the Wexford defence crumbed.
From 15 mins we got Bergin at 60% of his potential and fuck me it was awesome. He won 70% ball that went in but he fucking used it he picked out running coming for the half forward line or lads stand in better position. He came through Wexford players and took two incredible points. Just before half time he got inside and went to pick out Murphy but it just didn't make it and it knock his confidence and in the second half we got a good Joesph Bergin but not to the standard of that 15 mins. He won us the game in that 15 mins.
The backs played well. Rigney is a tough bit of stuff.
But the really improvement was the Physicality we brought to the game. Its not near the Physicality Kilkenny bring to the game but 10 time the Physicality we seen for Offaly at any level.
The Kerry game is now a bit of banana skin. We need to be focused. If we take the eye off the ball they will push us.
The only thing i want to see in the Kerry game is an improvement in the Physicality we bring to the game.
I want us to Bully the shit out of the Kerry team.
I want Joesph Bergin to be the Fucking Lion we saw for 15 mins yesterday for at least 20 mins.
“Common sense is not so common.”

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Really like the direct style of your match reports Toxicity.

Some mightn't like the flowery language but it conveys your obvious passion for the game and county. I for one felt that at times you can be overly optimistic about the standard of hurlers available to the management (based on what I see at club level) but you have been very consistent in your praise.

Something you have also been consistent on was players being selected in their wrong positions and it seems that this management team are doing their best to rectify that issue. Have you any thoughts on that based on the way the team is beginning to bed itself down?

In your opinion would you change much in a positional sense or are we getting close to a correctly selected team and game plan?

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

well done to the Offaly panel and management yesterday, some result down there and a big score.

Was at the home games so far and was quietly impressed with the attitude with the players so far, there work rate and off the ball running has been good, it has been there decision making that was letting them down ie. when to run with it, when to pass and when to take the shot on but as the weather gets better and days longer this can be worked on.
From listening to the game on the radio it seemed that when Offaly ran at Wexford there won a free every time, Wexfords discipline in the tackle must have been very poor, Liam Dunnes days could be numbered!

Did we play with a sweeper yday does anybody know and did it change when the 2 goals went in?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

tox ur huge problem with offaly for the last 2 years was we kept playing j bergin and d currams out the field and yesterday highlighted how dangerous j bergin can be if he get decent ball close to goal . The other big problem u highlighted was we kept playing forward as defenders . this year we are playing guys in their best positions .

i have been at all the home games and i felt we be very close to wexford yesterday but i didnt expect us to win so easily .

To me they difference this year is we much fitter , really playing for each other as a team , they lads are sent out with a job to do and their is a real spirit in this team which was clear to see against limerick when a few slaps were thrown , the offaly lads got stuck in .
offaly can improve and yesterday hopefully will be a step on the road to offaly becoming a decent team one that offaly people will be proud of .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It was great how this panned out. Historically and statistically, when Offaly concede 2 goals in the opening couple of minutes, it signals a rout where they concede 3 or 4 more. From being 6 down to win by 7 is also a quality turnaround.

There has been lots of encouraging signs from Eamonn Kelly's reign. It sounds like the hard work is being done by the players on the training ground. So far he seems to be silencing the baying mob who think an Offaly team should simply be the supposed 15 best hurlers in the county - accommodated, facilitated, begged, cajoled, coaxed and handed the championship jersey.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Agree totally,

We shipped a bit of a beating against Clare, but against Limerick we fought hard and although they won by 8pts it wasn't an 8 pt game by reports.

From browsing the forums out there, The Wexicans appear to be ready to give Liam Dunne the "Wexican Wave" goodbye, and are shockin bitter towards him and the teams performance on Sunday.
Whatever the way things are down there, this has to be a huge confidence boost to the lads for the Championship.

Remain focussed and do the job and continue focus on the performance, then a league Q final with nothing to lose! Again really focus on the method of play, closing down the opposition, proper forward movement.
If we can convince the players that they have the right system at play and they get the round robin to really work on that again, we will have a great build up to championship proper.

Can anyone tell me where Offaly are training, would like to take in a couple of this mans sessions over the next couple of weeks, (Kelly gave great praise to Conor Gleesons work after the game).

But well done to all the players, and management, feckin great to see the hard work pay off) and hopefully the supporters will turn out in numbers for the league q final regardless of who we are playing!!

I'm a footballing man and was proud of the footballers last Sunday in OCP, but one of the biggest cheers of the day came when the hurling result was announced, (considering half the crowd was unable to hear it!!).

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Interesting thoughts over in Wexford.
http://tfk.thefreekick.com/t/wexford-gaa-2016/21508/577

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ordinarily a great win over a higher ranked team would be followed in quick succession by a flat performance over a lower ranked team. That might change on Sunday.

Here’s why. Since his appointment, Kelly has frequently referred in media engagements to the use of statistics. Kelly sets targets for his hurlers – particularly relating to work rate as hooks, blocks, tackles and turnovers. So players are being made accountable for their actions (or inactions).

Offaly effected several turnovers in their two O’Connor Park NHL matches, and Kelly revealed after the Wexford match that some rates were double those of the week before. With more targets to reach on Sunday you would expect another hardworking performance. As team morale improves, so will the competition for ticks on the stats sheet. With accountability comes responsibility.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ordinarily a great win over a higher ranked team would be followed in quick succession by a flat performance over a lower ranked team. That might change on Sunday.

Here’s why. Since his appointment, Kelly has frequently referred in media engagements to the use of statistics. Kelly sets targets for his hurlers – particularly relating to work rate as hooks, blocks, tackles and turnovers. So players are being made accountable for their actions (or inactions).

Offaly effected several turnovers in their two O’Connor Park NHL matches, and Kelly revealed after the Wexford match that some rates were double those of the week before. With more targets to reach on Sunday you would expect another hardworking performance. As team morale improves, so will the competition for ticks on the stats sheet. With accountability comes responsibility.
Thx for highlighting this POTH. Almost ludicrous how Offaly is involved in so many 'shock' wins and losses. This whole quantitative mixed with qualitative measurement is a good thing no doubt. It provides yet another method of flagging the good and the bad so things can be worked on in training if necessary.. It also creates a constant competition within the camp which in my experience drives the morale level.

Subs coming on will be eager to make an impression and have a chance to prove that they did. Given that they will have less time to do it will focus them even further.

Still taking one day at a time, but if this is the part of the plan to have us take the field with a focused and ruthless attitude each time - then great!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

lets hope for the same as last week from offaly on sunday, go out and lay down a marker they have alot to prove after the last few years, they have to hit the ground running and put Kerry away early and make sure they are not there near the end as we know it can go tits up with offaly when we are suppose to win.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Team vs Kerry.
James Dempsey.
Niall Wynne
Chris Mc Donald.
Paddy Rigney
Pat Camon
Conor Doughan
Dermot Shortt