Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by SearingDrive »

Toxicity234 wrote:Team name for sunday.

James Dempsey.
Niall Wynne
Chris Mc Donald.
Paddy Rigney
Pat Camon
Conor Doughan
Sean Gardiner
Shane Kinsella
Dermot Shortt
Sean Ryan
Colin Egan
Paddy Murphy
Shane Dooley
Joseph Bergin
James Mulrooney.
Why does it take so long to announce team selections? Offaly seem to operate like the Third Secret of Fatima, (known to a select few, never to be released) when it comes to announcing teams for league and championship.

Other counties can release their teams in advance of fixtures,why not Offaly?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

SearingDrive wrote:
Toxicity234 wrote:Team name for sunday.

James Dempsey.
Niall Wynne
Chris Mc Donald.
Paddy Rigney
Pat Camon
Conor Doughan
Sean Gardiner
Shane Kinsella
Dermot Shortt
Sean Ryan
Colin Egan
Paddy Murphy
Shane Dooley
Joseph Bergin
James Mulrooney.
Why does it take so long to announce team selections? Offaly seem to operate like the Third Secret of Fatima, (known to a select few, never to be released) when it comes to announcing teams for league and championship.

Other counties can release their teams in advance of fixtures,why not Offaly?
Fully appreciate the question and I certainly cannot provide insight.

The situation begs another question - sort of pushing this in another direction:

What benefit does Offaly derive from releasing the team early or ever?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hi Kevin,

I don't see a benefit to the team to announce the lineup publicly before the match. Someone else may beg to differ.

Any advantage may accrue to supporters. For instance, that Seán Gardiner is starting would persuade a few from Lusmagh to go that mightn't otherwise go. Ditto for someone from Cloghan. A decade ago, when Joseph Bergin was in his debut season, a sizeable number from Clareen were present.

Thing is that so few teams line out as selected now. A fortnight ago both Offaly (1) and Leix (2) made changes. Both Leixmen who were 'deposed' eventually came on. I watched Kilkenny v Tipperary on the video later in the week - both made changes, as did Wexford (v Clare) though Clare, unusually for them, did line out from 1 to 15. Waterford use squad numbers with Maurice Shanahan favouring number 21.

Making changes to teams was first practiced by Kevin Heffernan's Dubs around 1980 and was brought to a whole new level by Loughnane's Clare in the 1990s. It is often used as a ruse by team selectors to 'cod' the opposition. But now nobody believes an announced lineup now, and I don't see the point of a grand announcement.
Kevin wrote: Fully appreciate the question and I certainly cannot provide insight.

The situation begs another question - sort of pushing this in another direction:

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Hi Kevin,

I don't see a benefit to the team to announce the lineup publicly before the match. Someone else may beg to differ.

Any advantage may accrue to supporters. For instance, that Seán Gardiner is starting would persuade a few from Lusmagh to go that mightn't otherwise go. Ditto for someone from Cloghan. A decade ago, when Joseph Bergin was in his debut season, a sizeable number from Clareen were present.

Thing is that so few teams line out as selected now. A fortnight ago both Offaly (1) and Leix (2) made changes. Both Leixmen who were 'deposed' eventually came on. I watched Kilkenny v Tipperary on the video later in the week - both made changes, as did Wexford (v Clare) though Clare, unusually for them, did line out from 1 to 15. Waterford use squad numbers with Maurice Shanahan favouring number 21.

Making changes to teams was first practiced by Kevin Heffernan's Dubs around 1980 and was brought to a whole new level by Loughnane's Clare in the 1990s. It is often used as a ruse by team selectors to 'cod' the opposition. But now nobody believes an announced lineup now, and I don't see the point of a grand announcement.
Kevin wrote:
Thx POTH. I get it.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kevin wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Thx POTH. I get it.

. I note your points.
I still think releasing a team in advance of the game is the way to go.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Strange game , we never really hurled and gifted limerick a goal with a pass across our own square , then had a goal dissallowed for a free in the build up when the ref seen to have allowed advantage and then j gorman missed a good goal chance at the end . s hickey also appeared to strike an offaly lads off the ball and was lucky not to get a red card .
S dooley had a off day ,i think he missed 4 free in a row in the second half .
limerick were deserved winners but really both were poor today . both worked hard but lacked quality .
i Wonder did e kelly make too many changes from the last day ???
terrible offaly support ,

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

sam88885a wrote:Strange game , we never really hurled and gifted limerick a goal with a pass across our own square , then had a goal dissallowed for a free in the build up when the ref seen to have allowed advantage and then j gorman missed a good goal chance at the end . s hickey also appeared to strike an offaly lads off the ball and was lucky not to get a red card .
S dooley had a off day ,i think he missed 4 free in a row in the second half .
limerick were deserved winners but really both were poor today . both worked hard but lacked quality .
i Wonder did e kelly make too many changes from the last day ???
terrible offaly support ,
Offaly are currently the lowest scoring team in Division 1B with 49 points from 3 games. Offaly are too dependant on Shane Dooley for scores. The Offaly scoring rate from play has been very disappointing. Limerick had the game won at half time, despite being without the Na Piarsaigh club players.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

agrre they 1 -04 just before half was the winning of the game .
i think they should have left gardner at wing back , ryan in midfield and kinsella at centre forward where they all had played well against laois because we had no shape yesterday . i would have moved c doughan to midfield and put kelleher to centre back .
limerick were poor also but still easily beat us .

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Kevin wrote: Fully appreciate the question and I certainly cannot provide insight.

It is Vital for both the players involved and their clubs that all players who are not part of the 26 match panel should be released to their clubs for the weekend in order to allow these players an opportunity of actual game time. Offaly panels should be released by Thursday at 10pm in order to allow club managers the opportunity to arrange suitable challenge games in the event of no club league games being arranged for the weekend.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Sharp Eye wrote:
It is Vital for both the players involved and their clubs that all players who are not part of the 26 match panel should be released to their clubs for the weekend in order to allow these players an opportunity of actual game time. Offaly panels should be released by Thursday at 10pm in order to allow club managers the opportunity to arrange suitable challenge games in the event of no club league games being arranged for the weekend.
This seems like a reasonable expectation, thanks.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Interesting game on Sunday.
The bad. A few too many changes from the Laois game. A change in every line out field.
A couple of good saves from Demspey keep us in the game but a few misses at the other end stop us from winning it.
One goal in 3 games in not good. 15 points and 14 points is not great.
4 unanswered points at the end of the 1st half and 4 at the end of the second we not finishing the half.

The good. Shortts stopping ability. His shoulders on the limerick forward in the middle of the second half was fucking beautiful.
When you see a forward hit so hard that he end up on the ground and the ball end up in the sky is awesome.
Much more of that please for a few more lads and we be rocking.
Defence played well. Great battling and great hard work.
Really hopeful that Kelly will get the balance correct. Were close to been a good or excellent team.

No chance of promotion for Both Wexford and Offaly. So there is a chance for both to try a few lads in the heat of battle and still have the match the follow week to get to the quarter final.
Would love to win in Wexford and be safe enough before Kerry.
“Common sense is not so common.”

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

The Offaly support was an embarrassment on Sunday. The Limerick support was at least double in size. It must be so demoralising for players who can't but notice this at home matches. Embarrassing. If Offaly fans can't turn out for a home game against one of Munster's elite there must be little or no interest in reviving our county's fortunes.

I hope Birr and South Offaly enjoy hosting all the Christy Ring Cup games in a few years time.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

im south offaly and sunday i was embarrassed to see so few offaly fans .
it reminded me of the 98 all ireland semi final against clare { first day} when we moved beside a group of brosna gaels lads for company because we were so out numbered , sunday was worse because we were at home . Shamefully

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think it's unfair that u pick out birr has not supporting Offaly as I know plenty of people from the town that still travel to tullamore.
Maybe in the long run it shows where people are at regarding the issue.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i dont blame birr at all i think the birr issue is an excuse for fair weather supporters . last sunday the crowd mainly limerick were on the ref back from the start .he was very poor but offaly have no home advantage if only 400 hundred supporters turn up .
To me offaly are trying and deserve support