2016 National League Div 3

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: 2016 National League Div 3

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Have not been able to make a game this year so far due to work commitments, but great to see a bit of momentum building around the senior footballers.

One reason why the start is so positive could be that over the last 3 years we are preparing well for the league and are at a higher level of fitness?
Probably part of it, but we seem to have the majority of players that you would like to see in there.

I see Tipp are bringing the game to Tipp town, a horrendous journey and maybe unavoidable as Tipp must be hurling at home on Sunday.

Will be a real good result if we could come out of Tipp with a win..I would fancy us big time to get the results that we need if good enough to beat them down there.

Best of luck to the lads on Sunday!

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Best or luck to all tomorrow. Big match...win and we are pushing for promotion.

On a side note congrats to Niall Smith on getting married. Hopefully his presence is not missed!

Also, very annoying that club games are on in the morning making it impossible to get down to Tipp for the match.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Full Time - Tipperary 2-11, Offaly 0-12

We were 9 points down at half time (2:08 to 0-05)

Like the Kildare game this was a game we would not have expected to win.

Last 3 games against Clare, Westmeath and Limerick will decide our fate. All capable of being won or lost.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Disappointing result. According to report Tipp scored a lot in short space in first half and this was the difference. Also reported that Offaly squandered a lot of chances which is a little encouraging at least. At least we created the chances to score. If we finish with 3 wins we are very much in with a shout as both Tipp and Clare have yet to play Kildare and could possibly drop points elsewhere. However we might need to get few big wins as our score difference isnt great compared with other competitors. We unfortunately have to play struggling teams at end of league which could be harder to gain points as they scrap for relegation.

The Westmeath game will be key game for both ourselves and them and could count as either a relegation battle for both teams or promotion battle for us depending on our result next week. We are not out of the woods just yet regarding relegation. Interesting to note that Westmeath are among favourites for relegation now and possibly in line to break a record - 3 relegations in a row. Aren't we glad that we have Pat Flanagan now while westmeath have gone into free fall since he left them.
jimbob

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Offaly v Clare in Tullamore

This is our last home game and we need to maintain our 100 per cent home record in order to secure our place in division 3 and also give ourselves an outside chance of promotion. We have away matches against Westmeath and Limerick to come. Those teams are currently joint bottom so we should be confident going into those games.

Clare are targeting second spot. They have 6 points out of 8 and despite losing one of their four games they have the best points difference of the division. Them hammered Westmeath and will be looking to take the 2 points here.

I think that Pat Flanagan with his experience has steadied the ship and brought some much needed structure to the squad.

It won't be easy but if we could sneak a win and see Longford beat Tipp in Pearse Park it will make things interesting.

Good luck to the lads.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:Offaly v Clare in Tullamore

This is our last home game and we need to maintain our 100 per cent home record in order to secure our place in division 3 and also give ourselves an outside chance of promotion. We have away matches against Westmeath and Limerick to come. Those teams are currently joint bottom so we should be confident going into those games.

Clare are targeting second spot. They have 6 points out of 8 and despite losing one of their four games they have the best points difference of the division. Them hammered Westmeath and will be looking to take the 2 points here.

I think that Pat Flanagan with his experience has steadied the ship and brought some much needed structure to the squad.

It won't be easy but if we could sneak a win and see Longford beat Tipp in Pearse Park it will make things interesting.

Good luck to the lads.
Westmeath won tonight, 3-14 to0-7.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Clare game is a must win end of story , as are the last two games , no point worrying about anything else , 3 from 3 is the target , let's go !

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of luck to our Footballer today
“Common sense is not so common.”

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Whew!! Glad that's over!!

Congrats to all involved on the big win today!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Are we certain to be in division 3 next year after today's win ??

I suppose we should think more positively and look to promotion by winning last two games. It's a very tight division.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:Are we certain to be in division 3 next year after today's win ??

I suppose we should think more positively and look to promotion by winning last two games. It's a very tight division.
We have 6 points, and by my reckoning are in 4th place behind Longford on score difference. Kildare andTipperary are in 1st and 2nd places. Good win for Sligo today, and also Longford vTipp.
It 's Westmeath next in Mullingaf, a real tough one,then away to Limerick. A lot of football still to be played. Good result today, but we should have been out of sight. The injury to Bernard Allen seemed to knock us back a bit. I hope he is alright.

Great spirit to get late point.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Great result today, we seemed to be sluggish after breaks at both start, after half time and after stoppage for Panda. The backs played well and defended and attacked at all times, Joey and Johnny flat on their feet as were all the team on final whistle. We definitely won midfield and caught some sweet balls, Guilfoyle played well but final ball let him down once or twice, very surprised to see him come off when he did. Brazil put in a great performance, good strong player and definitely stood out. Panda, Mullhall and Dunne all did well, Conor and Niall Mc have both had better days.

The Clare goal i dont know how they scored, we blocked them down 3 or 4 times and they kept winning the break and then with all the bodies back i dont know how it squeezed in. We responded very well as the game was in the melting pot at that point. This is the one thing with this Offaly team compared to other years that we have the fighting spirit and didnt let the heads drop.

On a more serious note when Panda went down fair play to the Clare lads for getting attention over and highlighting a problem straight away, when Guilfoyle went over and put hands over head and looked away i was thinking broken leg or along them lines. Pat said he got concussion and was knocked out. How the ref didnt stop it immediately i dont know as 4-5 players beside him shouting for help. Great to see him walk of the field.

With the way results have fallen belief has to be there, beat our neighbours and i am sure Pat will be up for that and promotion can be in sight and relegation a strong possibility for WH. Hopefully a big crowd goes to support them on

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

First off, fair play to the Clare lads, especially their number 4 , who was first to call for assistance for Panda.

Great to see him up & able to walk off....

Brilliant win and Eoin Carroll was my man of the match. He was up against an Ireland player but he won won loads of ball in the air and drove forward with real intent.

The defence was brilliant and that high ball Alan got to ahead of Pat Burke was vital,,,, Up front Panda took some nice scores, Mick Brazil worked like a demon and bagged a few as did Nigel.. Graham did some goood things while Conor Mc seemed to injure himseld late in the first half and did not go well after that while Nialler did a few good things and some foolish but he has the class and hopefully he recovers his confidence & form.. Joe Maher kicked a vital point and Anton was brilliant, taking ball forward and winning frees.....

Now for the game in Mullingar !!!!!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Looking at table and fixtures
Kildare 8 pts, Tipp away and then home to Clare
Clare 6 pts, Longford home and then kildare away
Longford 6pts, Clare away and westmeath home
Tipperary 6pts, Kildare home and sligo away
Offaly 6pts, Westmeath and limerick away
Sligo 4pts, Limerick and tipp home
Westmeath 3pts, offaly home and longford away
Limerick 1pt, sligo awayand offaly home

I wouldnt like to call it now, shame our point difference isnt great as well

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Great victory today. Offaly played with great pace, intensity and team spirit. Mickey Brazil, Eoin Carroll and Nigel Dunne were superb. Sean Pender stood out in a very good Offaly defence. Unfortunately basic errors and poor shot selection let us down too many times. If we rectify these we have a team capable of competing with anyone In Leinster, Dublin aside.

With today's results Division 3 is wide open. While Offaly's scoring difference isn't great, are the head to heads not more important if teams end up on the same level of points?